Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Parking Brake Handle

Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
konaboy
Ohio
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Parking Brake Handle

Well this wonderfully constructed part has broken for the second time. The assembly is fine and works it's just that stupid plastic hadle you grab snapped off the rod that releases the brake. The first one was replaced under an extended warranty 2 years ago. I don't really want to spend the money (quoted $150 from local dealer) to replace the whole assembly since it works fine and it's just that stupid plastic part. Soooooooo I'm trying to be creative and come up with another part (something "T" shaped) I could substitute for it that would allow me to grip and release the brake. Figured the right part and JB Weld might hold it on. Any suggestions??

BTW the handle that broke is unusable, too many pieces to put it back together.
konaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
zx6-guy29
Kaiserslautern, Germany
'96 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here is how i fixed mine:
Go to Home Depot or Home Base etc, and get a headless bolt that is the same diameter as the shaft for the brake release and about 2 inches long or so(not sure exactly how long it is) Next, get a knob that is threaded to fit the bolt. Finally, get 2 u-bolts with nuts. Secure the bolt with the knob on the end of it to the shaft for the brake release and you are home free! Just make sure the u bolts are very snug so it doesnt slide off. I did this myself, in about 10 minutes, and for a grand total of about $4.00. It has been this way for close to a year and about 13,000 miles and has worked great. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Papa
Clearwater, FL
97 Eddy

Vehicle Specs

The U bolts sound good but if you want to kick it up a bit one of those Allen wrench T handles would give your fingers something to grip onto or a trip to the local junk yard.
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
SkanlaxJMO
Syracuse, New York
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

ide say go to a junk yard and pull the handle off of a ford with the e-brake release in the dash also the ubolt idea sounds good....i cant help but notice you are from Phio...were abouts?

Old 03-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
konaboy
Ohio
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Might give the ubolt a try. Curious to the placement of both ubolts though. Are you overlapping the screw with the brake assembly and clamping at the end of the screw and end of the PB assembly??

I was walking through sears last night killing a few minutes and saw a 0-1/4" tap handle and also the "t" handled allen wrenches and thought man those are almost perfect, now how to get them to work.

ScanlaxJMO I'm outside of Cincinnati

As always this place is full of great info!

Last edited by konaboy; 03-23-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
konaboy
Ohio
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
ttt
Old 03-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
zx6-guy29
Kaiserslautern, Germany
'96 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Yes I just overlapped the bolt with the release handle shaft. The 2 u-bolts just have to be long enough to get around both the bolt and the shaft and still get the nuts on. (not too long!) The knob I used is actually similar to what you might see on a table saw or similar power tool that would be used to quickly loosen and tighten things that you would be adjusting. Its about 3/4" diameter, round, black knob. I looked for a t-handle with an allen bolt as mentioned above, but couldn't find a suitable one. (unfortuantely we have no Home Depot in Germany. Sometimes I really miss the US!!)

Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
konaboy
Ohio
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well it worked. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Used a piece of All thread rod 8/32 (2)ubolt/cable clamps and of all things a drawer pull normally used on cabinets or furniture. (nice brushed stainless so it looks good when the door is opened.) Gave it a few pulls and seems to be holding.

All thread .84 for a 2' piece
drawer pull $2.99
cable clamps $1.87 (came in a pack of 3)

Total $5.70 plus tax

Saved $144.30 and the aggravation of installing the whole PB assembly.

Thanks for the tip!

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page