Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I often get questions about the governor on the A4LD. Where is it? How do I get to it? What does it look like?

Well a picture is worth a thousand words.... the governor is attached to the rear of the case... well... to a "shelf" on the output shaft... Here it is:

DSCN6427.JPG

Another view:

DSCN6428.JPG

To get to it you need to remove the transfer case, leaving the extension housing....looks daunting.... but you know what is inside... now you CAN remove the extension housing if need be...here is a view with the extension housing installed... hiding it.... remember you CAN remove it....8 bolts....

DSCN6429.JPG

But why ? See our prize down inside... can be removed without removing the extension housing.

DSCN6430.JPG

I will admit, on your back .. under the Explorer this doesn't look so easy.

I hope this helps someone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to say a big "thank you!" A picture IS worth a thousand words.

By the way, that left most flimsy spring is an aftermarket mod... it is not stock... so if you take yours apart and wonder why it isn't there, that's why.

Just out of curiousity, how long does it take to get to? Could this me a job that could easily be done in a few hours?

OK so i am going to ry this out this weekend i think. My truck is a 94 Explorer XLT, and i am getting the stuck 1-2 gear shift only in the morning.

So i have a coupple questions! i am very good with wrenches, and tools. I've never done automatic tranny work, but i am not scared.

Have you done this with out taking the cover off on your back? I am very numble, and skinny, with skinny fingers. The two bolts that hold it on, are they a 1/2 bolt? Any special tools i should get?

Now knowing this is going on, should i buy a new one, or clean? Try to clean first?

I just did my Drive shaft U-joints, so i know thoes come off easy. How hard is it to take the transfer case off? Do i need any parts to put it back up?
If anybody has a part list, or number...that would be great! I know this is a little random...But i am a fast thinker, and typer! LOL thanks guys!!

This isn't a difficult task. You only need a floor jack (scissor style transmission jack might be easier to use, and maneuver), box wrenches, socket set, and some extensions. You might want to have the parts ready to install just in case you need them. Sometimes they could be cleaned, but if they are worn down, you will have some down time waiting for the parts to come in the mail (unless you have another vehicle to use in the mean time). The other option is putting everything back together, then taking it apart again. Don't waste time doing it twice. Just have everything you need readily available before you start the job.

Hello BrooklynBay, great stuff and nice job in your posting... I too have the same issue the orginal poster had, "only shifts if I take my foot off the gas a little then it shifts"..... We just replaced the Vac Mod and still have the same issue, we just took the governor out and mine only had one spring, your pick shows 2... So should the one I took out have one or two? and what is the correct spring position?...... Also if this doesn't fix my issue what would you suggest next? Thanks again and great job!:salute:

Welcome to this forum! Glacier991 explained in post # 4 that the first spring on the left is not something which comes from the factory (OEM), but is an aftermarket modification. As for the shifting issue, check the spool in front of the modulator, bands, and kick down cable.

what aftermarket spring can be purchased to put in an A4LD governor and what does the extra spring accomplish ?

This link has additional part numbers: https://www.wittrans.com/SchematicParts.aspx?Transmission=A4LD/4R44E/4R55E/5R55E&LinkCode=680

U56680A Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 1 Groove).

U56680AA Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 2 Grooves).

U56680AB Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 3 Grooves) .

U56680B Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .326OD) 1990-95 3.0L.

U56680C Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) (Valve Has 1 Groove).

U56680CA Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) (Valve Has No Groove).

D56681-1 Governor Body, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) 2.3L 1989-90.

S56681-4B Governor Weight, A4LD (35mm OD).

Now that this thread has been given life again, may I ask is this any different for a 2wd vs a 4wd? Mine is a 2wd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back