• Register Today It's free!

Diagnostic Code P0745

Savedbygrace

Reaction score
City, State
Waldorf, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Erratic shifting of trans - heavy acceleration will shift into 2nd gear but engine revs just increase in 2nd and will not shift into 3rd. "Service engine" light came on and "O/D Off" Light on the dash flickered on and off rapidly.
An engine diagnostic tool showed us code "P0745 - Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction". What exactly does this mean and is this something that could be repaired/replaced at home or does it need a dealer intervention??
Our Explorer is an '02 XLT model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the transmissions in the 02s have a few problems (especially with solenoids) - you may want to see if the dealer will fix it under warranty or under a recall

-Drew

Saved, :thumbsup:

The solenoids are all in one block. They can be replaced by yourself, at about 2 hours time. I have a post on here somewhere about replacing it. Mine went bad around 80K or so.
Changed the block, I had already had it flushed (you need to do that every 30 or 40k for sure). Trouble vanished. :D

Dave

Found this:

TSB 04-24-17

12/13/04

5R55W TRANSMISSION - NO 3RD GEAR OR
SLIPPING 2-3 SHIFT - DTCS P0733 AND P0745 -
VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 3/4/2002

FORD:
2002 EXPLORER

MERCURY:
2002 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB 03-25-4 to update the description for labor operation "B". There have been no changes made to the TSB procedure.

ISSUE
Some 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles built prior to 3/4/2002 with 5R55W transmission, may exhibit no 3rd gear or slipping 2-3 shift with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0733 and P0745 present. This may be due to a broken intermediate band.

ACTION
If the conditions described are verified:

^ Follow Service Procedure "A" to confirm band is broken.

^ Follow Service Procedure "B" after verifying a band is broken.

Per Procedure "B", if a broken band is found replacement of both the OD and intermediate bands and pistons will be necessary. However, only an inspection of the direct clutch drum may be necessary. The drum should not be replaced unless damage is found.

NOTE THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER CONDITIONS OR COMPONENTS THAT MAY CAUSE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS AND IS ONLY WRITTEN TO COVER THESE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

PROCEDURE "A" - BROKEN BAND VERIFICATION

CAUTION WHILE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE DO NOT ALLOW BAND ADJUSTMENT SCREW TO BACK OUT. BAND STRUT COULD FALL OUT OF POSITION.

1. Loosen the intermediate band locknut on the band adjustment screw.

2. Using the special service tool (307-5022), tighten the suspect band adjustment screw to 10 lb.ft (14 N.m).

a. If the band adjustment torque cannot be achieved, both bands will need to be replaced. Proceed to PROCEDURE "B".

b. If the proper torque is achieved, the band is OK and does not need to be replaced. Proceed to Step 3 of PROCEDURE "A".

3. Lubricate the locknut seal with petroleum jelly prior to installation.

a. Remove the band locknut and discard.

b. Install a NEW band locknut.

c. Using the special service tool (307-5022), tighten the band adjustment screw to 10 lb-ft (14 N.m).

d. Back off the screw exactly two (2) turns and hold that position.

e. Tighten the intermediate band locknut.

f. Hold the band adjustment screw stationary.

g. Tighten the band locknut to 40 lb-ft (54 N.m).

h. Continue with normal diagnosis and repair for the condition as outlined in the Workshop Manual.

PROCEDURE "B" - VERIFIED BROKEN BAND

NOTE REPLACEMENT OF THE EXTENSION HOUSING SEAL AND BUSHING ARE NOT REQUIRED. DO NOT DISASSEMBLE BEYOND THE DIRECT CLUTCH ASSEMBLY. ALL SUBASSEMBLY STEPS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS PROCEDURE.

Using the following procedure, replace the bands and servos. Inspect the direct clutch drum and replace ONLY IF DAMAGED.

1. Remove transmission assembly, refer to the Workshop Manual Section 307-01.

2. Following the Workshop Manual steps found in Section 307-01 remove and discard the front and intermediate bands and the front and intermediate servos.

3. Remove the direct clutch drum.

4. Inspect the direct clutch drum for scoring or damage, DO NOT REPLACE THE DRUM UNLESS IT IS DAMAGED. For replacement procedures, refer to the Workshop Manual Section 307-01 (Automatic Transmission, Disassembly and Assembly of Subassemblies Direct Clutch Drum Assembly).

NOTE DO NOT DISASSEMBLE BEYOND THE DIRECT CLUTCH ASSEMBLY. NO OTHER SUBASSEMBLIES NEED TO BE DISASSEMBLED.

5. Following the Workshop Manual, reassemble the transmission and install BOTH NEW service bands (7D034), a NEW intermediate servo piston and rod assembly (7D021), and a NEW front servo piston and rod assembly (7D021). ONLY IF DAMAGED INSTALL A NEW DIRECT CLUTCH DRUM ASSEMBLY (7D044).

6. Install the transmission assembly, refer to the Workshop Manual procedures found in 307-01.

7. Verify the condition has been corrected.

Hope that helps

-Drew

P0745 - Follow-up

Drew,
Is there a site or reference point I can go to to check recalls? Wew bought the truck used and bought an extended warranty but are outside of the "allowed" mileage for the extended warranty.
Kevin

ExplorerDMB said:
I believe the transmissions in the 02s have a few problems (especially with solenoids) - you may want to see if the dealer will fix it under warranty or under a recall

-Drew

Man, I wanna thank you guys for this post. Seeing that TSB just saved me from getting bent over backwards by the local dealership for almost $4k. I fit that EXACT description and they wanted to replace my trans completely. God forbid they actually do homework themselves and find any bulletins.

Man, I wanna thank you guys for this post. Seeing that TSB just saved me from getting bent over backwards by the local dealership for almost $4k. I fit that EXACT description and they wanted to replace my trans completely. God forbid they actually do homework themselves and find any bulletins.

Did the dealer fix the issue with this TSB or end up replacing the whole transmission, if they used the TSB, how much did it end up being?

Nah, I ended up getting a second opinion after reading this cuz I thought the dealer was shafting me. Evidently the dealership diagnosed it correctly and I ended up replacing the transmission, although not at the dealerships cost. It was still $3k in the end. Funny thing is, a month after that, the rear end crapped out on me too. That was another $1400. Needless to say, I got rid of the truck and traded it in for a brand new F150.

I am going through the exact same thing right now with the exact same symptoms, I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said they are going to do a complete rebuild... I have owned this truck for 5 months and when I purchased it used (through Ford) I bought the ESP(extended service plan){through Ford} The dealer told me everything was covered and would cost me the known 100 dollar deductable. He told me it is a 4000 dollar job and I am covered with everything. About 2 months ago I took it in there for a rear end whine...they rebuilt the rear end with all the mods necessary from the dealer at a cost of the known 100 dollar deductable...the job would have cost me 1500 dollars...the best thing I did was buy the esp for 2800 dollars to cover me for 4 years and 80,000km...I still have 75,000km and 3 years 6 months left on the esp....my advice is to always buy the Ford extended warranty....

looser nascar

looking back knowing you gave it your all win or loose you frinish a champion. bit those words for you didn't give it your all with your family. dale wasn't a quiter. 20 years i gave it all.the drunk your where and the stress your children put up with. having a didbeat dad. and your wife sticking bye you, all those years. and 9 months your wife ask from you and needed you and you throw everything away. thats a quiter. not giving it your all. being the boss the first time in your life has made you greedy and selfish. while your wife suported you. telling you. you can do it. and stood by you. and told you to buy your truck cause you deserve it. and now your wife is being charged because you didn't have a handle on your kid. that stole from your neibours and beat your family up. and you stood by and did nothin. but your wife wasn't aloud around your son until her court date. and her own husband brought him around anyway. that shows true faith to your wife. and now detroyed everything for her. now no home no kids and no career. while she stood back and let you build your life. i think that was a pretty good wife. but selfishness gets the best of us all...................looser husband. dale wasn't that

I've been looking online for about a month now, where to find a transmission for a good price. I have a 2002 ford explorer xlt. I am experiencing same exact problem as SAVEDBYGRACE. So reading the following posts makes me feel better that it doesn't necessarily have to be my tranny that's bad. A few people I know have suggested giving Lucas treatment a try?? Does anyone here know if that's worth it? I haven't taken it to get diagnosed, but a friend of mine has the code reader and that's the code it gave me P0745.
Thanks

Back