Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer Sport Trac Forums > 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

Notices

2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac All questions related to the 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac model.

Where's the computer module on this thing?

Old 04-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
Bored_2wd
Westmont, Illinois
'93 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Where's the computer module on this thing?

Alright, I need the keyless door lock code so I can set my own. I've been told by the dealer that it's printed on the computer, just behind the glove box. I got the glovebox pivoted out, can't see anything that looks like a door code. Actually can't find anything that looks like a computer. Can anyone help?
--Bob

( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Bored_2wd
Westmont, Illinois
'93 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Stopped by the dealer at lunch. They said they used to do that on most cars, but the new(er) ones don't have that anymore. You have to plug into the computer to get the code. One of their guys came out and looked at all the spots they typically have used - behind the glove box, on the a and b piller, behind the radio, under the dash, on the firewall, behind the rear seat in the little compartment, etc. He couldn't find it anywhere. Normally to connect to the computer it's around 40 or 50 bucks he said. So I've placed a call into the dealer that sold me the car (a dodge/chrysler dealer) to see if they'll pay for it. I should get the code with the vehicle.
--Bob

Old 04-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The sticker should still be on teh module, and according to the service manual, the module is located behind the passenger side air bag. You *may* be able to see it if you pull the stereo trim and stereo out, but I wouldn't bank on it. It's worth a shot!

Otherwise, pull the air bag, or talk to a locksmith. Many locksmiths now have the software and hardware for programming keys and may be able to see the door code(s) too.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
LABulldog
West Monroe, LA
2001 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

On my 2001, the computer module is located behind the passenger airbag. Lower the glove box completely down and that will give you access to to either 7 or 8 mm bolts. Remove the bolts and the airbag will slide right out. There is a wiring connection on the back side of the airbag that you will need to release if you are working by yourself. I would recommend disconnecting the negative cable on your battery before handling the airbag and always handle the bag gingerly. You can be injured if the bag deploys. Once the bag is removed, there is an ivory (very pale yellow) box in the upper left side of the opening in front of you. That is the computer module. The sticker for my door lock code was on top of this module. It is a 5 digit number and I believe all odd numbers. It should be obvious if the sticker is there. Good Luck!
LABulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
Shadow71
SW Chicagoland Burbs
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool

get it scanned.

I have a 200 ford and they upgrade the code in the computer and didn't even place a sticker on the computer or anywhere else. So the SuperChip I ordered didn't work. Had to pay another $30 to have it re-coded. A friend had an OBD-II hooked up to his laptop. read the code in 25 seconds.

Shadow71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Sakard
Sanford Florida
1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Thumbs up Labulldog

LABULLDOG,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, You have know idea as to how many inquires I have made trying to find the code for the key pad. Most people say look in the jack compartment, it may have been at one time or another but it's not there now. The Florida dealer (LONGWOOD LINCOLN - MERCURY) wanted $89.00 to plug in and get the code for me. They actually said it would take close to an hour. Needless to say I will be using a different dealer for routine maintenance and repairs. To anyone that has not done this, it took me 30 minutes to remove the air bag and module and put everything back together. I agree with the removing of the battery cable for safety sake.

Thanks again.
Steve
2001 Explorer Sport 2wd
Sakard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
cadalyst1
North Carolina
2003 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

This is easy enough to do. On my 2003 Sport trac, lift off the defroster grill, should lift up with little effort. Try using a flat blade screwdriver. On the passenger side lift up the wiper look thru the windshield above the glovebox. using a penlight you should see the module with the sticker on top. Carefully read the 5 digit bold number on the sticker. Thats it...5 min.
cadalyst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #8
svaby
Canal Fulton , Ohio
sport trac 2002

Vehicle Specs

no way... im glad a read this thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!
svaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
fanizzle157
2003 FORD SPORT TRAC

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadalyst1 View Post
This is easy enough to do. On my 2003 Sport trac, lift off the defroster grill, should lift up with little effort. Try using a flat blade screwdriver. On the passenger side lift up the wiper look thru the windshield above the glovebox. using a penlight you should see the module with the sticker on top. Carefully read the 5 digit bold number on the sticker. Thats it...5 min.
This person was right it took me 5mins and a mirror to reflect some sunlight into the dash so I could read the numbers.
fanizzle157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
XeroPheer

Vehicle Specs

Thank you so much for the posts! We have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, and like so many others, I found post after post saying that the computer module with the code was in the left rear jack compartment, when all of the time it was under the passenger dashboard! I took off the defroster panel with a flathead screwdriver and used a flashlight to see the code. Voila!

One thing to note, at least on my model, you don't look straight down through the windshield to see the code, you have to kind of look horizontally back in the direction of the passenger seat under the dashboard panel.
XeroPheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
jaggydog
'02 Sport Trac Base

Vehicle Specs

Cool Its a lot simpler than that..

Dude just pry open the defrost vent on the dash and look through the windshield and you should see the computer module and the code right on top of it.
jaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
tboz1
tazewell tn.
2001 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

you rock!!!!!!
tboz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
alltimes
2001 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

Mine is inside the jack compartment right in the middle. I have to look inside it from the passenger side toward the drivers side in order to see it.
alltimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #14
Larry Davis
Origional Australian
2001 sport trac

Vehicle Specs

You are spot on mate, however you will NOT see the number by just removing the A/bag ass'y (2x8mm bolts) its located on top of the small cream coloured computer box as you described, and I removed that by simply taking out the two 7mm screws retaining it to the ventilation ass'y, and as it was so dirty the label was un readable so a wipe with a clean rag, and bingo, the whole job 15 min, and enjoyable at that, now in and out no keys,,,,wow.................PS remove earth strap from battery before starting job...........Larry
Larry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
ncranchero
Co-moderator
Denver,NC

'94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Welcome to the Sport Trac forum Larry.

If your module is behind the air bag then your 2001 is a Job 2. The 2001 Job 1 modules are in the rear storage compartment.

How to post photos
ncranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
SportracJunkie03
Niagara Falls
2003 Sportrac XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

My wallet and I love you for this tip!!!
SportracJunkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
rangerlove

Vehicle Specs

hey y'all. sorry to interrupt, jus tryn to make a post. this is my first computer and first forum i've ever been on. i skipn all the caps and comas and all jus to be quicker while i'm one fingering every letter in this post right now. i just want to do it to see where it ends up. all this is confusing to me. i will get it eventually.(haha) someone could reply if like,if not thats cool too. thanks ya'll!
rangerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #18
rangerlove

Vehicle Specs

that was awesome! for me anyways. just getn my feet wet you know. going to bed soon, not that anyone cares. i get back on tomorrow to see if anyone replies or not then im set to blog or whatever. get more info from you guys to learn my way around and such. hope i can help,or learn from everyone on this sites. thanks again!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
rangerlove

Vehicle Specs

sss
Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #20
rangerlove

Vehicle Specs

oh yeah, since this is what we are here for in some form or another. my 98 4.0 has compcams 422 cam, longer pushrods and delta cams hardened rocker cup rocker assembly, dual valve springs, gasket matched top end, bigger injectors, 75mm air meter, old 4.0 liter performance bored throttle body, cone filter, electric fan, 3" dump flowmaster, jba headers, lc1 wide band and finally tuning just done by james at henson performance to make it all better.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page