• Register Today It's free!

hoping to find a cure

fordX302

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna,De
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD xlt
i hope, that for ranger upper, and lower control arms will fit my 97 explorer so i then can get 3 inch drop spindle's and get the drop i want.... already running 4.5 down.. need more though....am i right in thinking this??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone makes a drop spindle now? Really?

Edit- you are talking about regular Ranger control arms, right? You would then have to ditch the torsion bars and convert to coils.

99 2wd ranger are torsion bars.... they make drop spindels for that truck. im wanting to pretty much put that set up on my 97 explorer..... i am thinking it should all bolt up.

no they arent, all regular 2wd rangers are coil spring, only the 01 +EDGE rangers and 98+ 4x4s are torsion bar and id like to see these drop spindles, i have never seen a set, and was told that they wont work with the suspension setup.

xhibit, i owned a 98 ford ranger sport with a TORSION bar setup from the dealer brand spanking new.... i know this because i did the TT on the truck. so yes they come in torsion... 97 and lower are springs in 2wd and 4wd, in 98 they ran torsion for both 2x4 and 4x4. think about the cost of making to completly different front ends for the same frame.... its cheaper to run the same set-up either way. just like 2wd or 4wd explorer's ran torsion bars starting in 95. i just want to know if the set up will bolt up. i know they dont work with explorer spindles without modz. so if i replaced both upper and lower arms with ranger arms, the drop spindle for ranger would bolt right in.

i dont know what ford has on its different kinds of rangers. my buddies 98 3.0 2wd doesnt have t-bars.

The only way you could get tortion bars on a 2wd Ranger would be to get the EDGE. Which wasnt available in 98'. Either you had 4x4 or you didnt have tortion bars man. Hell, you can go buy a 2006 ranger 2wd without the edge package and get coils still.

btw, theres no such thing as a Ranger drop spindle. None are produced, and probly never will be.

SmoothKriminal said:
The only way you could get tortion bars on a 2wd Ranger would be to get the EDGE. Which wasnt available in 98'. Either you had 4x4 or you didnt have tortion bars man. Hell, you can go buy a 2006 ranger 2wd without the edge package and get coils still.

btw, theres no such thing as a Ranger drop spindle. None are produced, and probly never will be.

sounds familair, lol, not trying to be a dick but i stand by my previous statement and this guys, BUT you can still prvoe me wrong by finding some spindles for a ranger, or posting pics of your 2wd t bar 98 ranger

alright ask your self how low you need to go be cause but taking the bump stops off the vehicle and loosening the torsion bols can get you a **** load of drop, im sitting at like a 7-6 drop with the 20s its pretty damn low, if you need to go lower than that use airbags or notch the frame and cut away the bump stop mount, and take the torsio bars out, even then you can only take so many leafs out of the rear and a 4 inch block is the biggest ive seen, and the rear is alot harder to lower than the front when your trying to ge tthan many inches out of it, i have 2 leafs left and 3 in blocks, im putting 4" blocks in in the next few weeks hopefully. so the questions is how much lower ar eyou gonna go with you current tire and wheel combo, im lucky my tires tuck into the wheel wells well, but if i cut the bumpstop mounts the tires will start rubbing the inner fender. there are pics on the site to prove these points ive made as well, im not trying to be an ass or anything just making you aware.

EDIT: just looked and saw that you had a 275/45r20 THATS HUGE, get some smaller tires and it will do alot for lowering your truck and also letting your truck go lower.

well, i have 3 inch drop springs with 2 inch drop blocks... for a total of 5 inches.... goes to the shop for a 12 inch frame knotch. i did all the interior metal work myself to make room for the frame... got my brackets for my axel mounts, and fabbing a bar that goes frame to frame... for the top bag mounts.... not sure if i will be building a 4 link setup... as far as the front.... its AWD and i dont want to lose it, for traction perpouses. i was told about the drop spindle's . but i DID own a 2wd torsion ranger, i did the TT in the front to get a bit more lift. i bought it new, so there wasnt any aftermarket changes done to it. i dont have pics. i will try to get some..... but i droped the front with after market Re-Clocked keys..... got 5 inches with keys,, had to change the factory tire size... i havnt bought rims, because im not as low as i want to be yet. how did u get a 7 inch drop?? at 5 inches the frame rests on the axel.... well there is a .25 of an inch untill u get it. lol

7 in the front, and thats from the grond to the center to the fender lip, measuerd versus a stock explrorer same modle, thats why i said get some smaller tires, if i put th e17s i used to have id have like 1/4 ground clearance.

how did u get the 7 in the front? most i can get is 5, with drop keys.....

torsion flip with the bolts almost all the way out, and its about 7

although, according to the new minitruckin the edge and 4x2 suspensions use the same frames so the parts should interchange, im thinking the upper arms will fit, but they are wrong as far as the lowering parts will fit becuase you cannot put 2" drop coils on an edge nor can you use lowering control arms

i dunno. im stumped....

buy a set of upper control arms and see if they work for fixing the camber, i think boomin has a set hewill sell cheap

are they aftermarket? made to correct camber? or are they factory ones custum'ed to make longer?

aftermarket , they are not made to correct camber but they are usually sold in sets of upper and lower 3" drop control arms, but you can purchase them individualy, so in theory it should correct the caamer but it might also get some more travel out of the upper BJ but youll probibly bottom the control arm out before that

so i can get upper contol arms for a 97 explorer? and there drop arms???? i havnt seen them, or knew they even existed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nno no no the lower control are has a spring pocket that sits lower than factory for the 2wd non edge rangers in it which lowers the vehicle and the uppers fix camber when used with the lowers, i do not know if it will fix camber with the t-bar suspensions because they are not desigend for that suspension. and no they are not for an explorer they are for a 2wd rANGEr which has coils

Back