low/reverse servo seal NOT available from Ford? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

low/reverse servo seal NOT available from Ford?

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
I want to replace the Low/Reverse Servo double lip seal. I just called the N. Seattle Ford dealership and was told that:

"there are three pistons with different part numbers that vary with the number of grooves in them. Two are discontinued and the one that is available is an updated part no. and is $49. I think that comes with the new seal you mentioned. If you special order before 3pm, it should be in by tomorrow."

Huh? Is that right? I hate to pay $49 and not KNOW I'm getting at least the seal. btw, I have not yet pulled out the piston to check for scoring (one of tonight's projects) but I think I only want the seal.

Anywhere else I can obtain the seal? (does the updated seal come in a valve body rebuild kit?)

or

does anyone know the Ford part no. for just the double lip seal?

I want to finish the easy replacement stuff before I rebuild the throttle body. I want to run the car with the new vacuum modulator valve, new low/reverse servo seal, and the correct amount of new fluid to see what, if any, improvements those create.

If it still operates oddly, I will then rebuild the VB. I installed a transmission drain plug last night so future work will be a LOT less messy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the superior shiftfix/update kit comes with a double lip low/reverse servo seal. at least for 5r55e's is does. you can snag them on ebay or other stores on the net for like $30.

The seals are available from WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com for a few dollars. Don't blow your money on an entire piston from the dealer. The dealer charges over $7 just for the standard rubber O rings. Here is the information that you need: 23256K double wiper low/reverse servo kit ($1.52), Transtec viton seal kit for the low/reverse servo 23256KA ($2.70). As you could see, there are 3 choices of seals that are available, rubber, rubber double wiper, and viton.

The double wiper seal mentioned before only comes with the larger seal. The viton seal kit comes with both the smaller, and the larger ones. Glacier said that the viton seal makes a very snug fit, more so than the double wiper one. Besides, you get both in that kit, so just go with that one.

Ordered the Viton Servo seals yesterday

Also ordered the A4LD Ford manual today along with the Transgo VB kit and the Viton reverse servo seals from www.transmissionpartsusa.com.

Interesting foot note: The part number listed looks like its the double lip part no. and the part no. for the Viton seals is not in their system. However, when I called transmissionpartsusa I was told that if I ordered the double lip part no, they would sent me the Viton seals. Hope that works.

Helpful phone support, too. They do not list the gasket that fits between the valve body and the transmission but they had it in stock and he added one of them to my order.

When I checked their website, I saw that the price, and part numbers were different. The information that was previously posted was from an email that they sent me. What price did they give you? There are 2 kinds of gaskets that are available for the VB. There is the regular kind, and one that is a little thicker. Here is the information for the thicker type: 56287 E8RY-7C155-A 1985-1995 Upper valve body gasket. 56287X 56320AA is .015" thick ($2.28). (6) 56280 E8RY-7D100-A 1985-1995 lower valve body gasket. 56280X 56321AB is .015" thick ($2.28). I think they only sell the thinner type, but they are always changing their inventory. By the way, you mentioned that you bought the rebuild book. There is also an update manual from the same company. You might want to get that too.

VB gasket & reverse servo seals part numbers

Couple of follow-up comments:

The person who helped me on the phone mentioned that they have both a mail order and brick and mortar store and that they do not use the same computer system. So things sort of flow in and out of being listed on the on-line system. The valve body gasket I wanted was not in the system before I called. I mentioned that I wanted one, he hit some buttons, and said "its there now." It was there to order after I hung up the phone.

What I got from that comment is that if you want something and you don't see it, call them. The guy was helpful and not condescending. Positive transaction.

The VB gasket I ordered was part no. 23135K "Ford A4LD Valve body gasket set, 1986-1994." ($3.31) Not sure if that's the regular one or thicker one? Is one preferable?

I didn't have the part numbers in front of me when I began the thread but he also said that part no. "23256K" ($2.21) is now the number for the Viton seals and not the double-D rubber seals. We'll see.

Re: the manual. I should have asked him about that. I saw the update book and chose to not order it. Do I need that manual to cover the 4.0 (1991-1994) version of the A4LD?

The regular manual covers the 4.0, but the update manual covers more updated changes, like the 6 pinion OD planetary, front seal leakage due to a cracked flywheel to crankshaft spacer, etc. It's a good idea to have that book, but isn't absolutely necessary to rebuild an A4LD. If you were planning on upgrading some parts in your rebuild, or were having a specific problem, then it would be good to have. There is no such thing as having too much information, especially with this transmission. There are so many different kinds of parts that were upgraded every year. The valve body specifications are different according to the size of the motor, and the year. The front pumps had different size bolts (6mm, and 8mm), the gears in the pumps are even different compared to the 4R, or 5R which have an O ring in them. Some valve bodies had one solenoid, when other ones had two. There are low, and high ratio boost valves as well as low, and high index relief valves. There were a few different sizes of governor weights, servo piston diameters, and 3 lengths of low/reverse servo piston shafts. Even the bands changed in certain years from the double wrap style to the single wrap, then back to double, then single again. The check balls in the valve body were different diameters too. This is the reason why so many rebuilders have trouble with them. They changed so many details so many times.

BrooklynBay covered the bases well.

Back