Where to order Sonnax parts for A4LD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to order Sonnax parts for A4LD?

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
I've ordered from www.transmissionpartsusa.com and have had good service in the recent past. Unfortunately, although they carry Sonnax parts they do not list either the Sonnax Boost Valve Kit (pt. no. 56947-02K) or the Manual Valve Indexer (pt. no. 56947-01). I will call them tomorrow (Monday) morning just to make sure but if they do not carry those parts, who else is quick and reliable?

Directly from Sonnax?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They do have those parts. There are other parts that are available such as 56947-04k Low ratio boost valve kit with O-rings, and a .323" I.D.($23.81). 56947-02K High ratio boost valve kit with O-rings, and a .388" I.D. ($23.81). Manual valve index sleeve 1985-1995 56947-01, was 56948 ($17.60).

high ratio boost kit for 4.0 motor.

Cool. Now I can get everything from one place.

I assume that I need the 56947-02K High ratio boost valve kit with O-rings, and a .388" I.D. ($23.81); that's what Sonnax lists on their website as the correct kit for the 4.0 engine.

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/parts/56947-02K-05K.htm (then hit the "detailed instruction sheet" link at the bottom).

I tried to read the part no. for the indexer off of Glacier's photo of the package. Apparantly I need glasses.

Due to how long it takes to access them, I'm planning on replacing both of the VB solenoids, too. They're only $20 for both from www.transmissionpartsusa.com. It would be really annoying to get everything buttoned up only to find one or both were defective (remember, this is a new car to me).

Does anyone know if they sell the A4LD check balls individually?

The post above has the part # of the manual index sleeve, and the price. There are a few different sizes of check balls, so it's hard to say what you would need without actually comparing your old ones. The check balls are available individually as well as the hockey pucks. Another part that you could get would be the high radius relief valves 10000-02K ($6.29). You could also get the end cap kit with the O rings. 56947-14K A4LD valve body end plug kit with O-rings 1985-1995($13.02). (15 parts). TCC filter that snaps onto the separator plate for 1988-up 56712 E8TZ-7N113-B 23330A ($1.95). 56995A A4LD torque converter clutch anti shudder spring ($2.31). Comes in a bag of 2. Only one is used.

check balls + other odd & ends

If I bring one of the check balls to the office tomorrow along with a 1-25mm micrometer (all of my measurement tools are metric), will that be enough information to give to the guys at www.transmissionpartsusa.com? Seems like that should be enough.

I think that I will order the grab bag of part numbers you suggested in your prior post. After further discussion with Glacier991 I will re-use my solenoids.

Incidentally, if this VB rebuild and upgrades does not fix the problem (primarily that it goes forward in both neutral and reverse), I will buy a used A4LD, change the fluid and filter, install my existing pan w/ the drain plug, and see what happens. If it works great, I'll leave things be. If not, I will adjust the bands. If the used one is still 'wrong', I'll install the VB that I am rebuilding right now. If the hypothetical used one still doesn't work :mad: , I'll get really irritated and keep using my Toyota LB truck for a bit longer. Buying a 'soft parts only' rebuild (as I think most are) seems like a dumb idea; I have more confidence in my learning how to do that myself than in getting a good rebuilt one.

If I go that path, I will only need the used A4LD to last until this October (in the mean time 99% hwy. miles and most of them are flat: seattle to portland, OR) when I could then rebuild my current ('always in a forward gear') A4LD; I like what Glacier991 did to his.

The easiest thing to try first is to adjust the bands to 3.5 turns, and see if that helps. If not, then go ahead, and rebuild the VB. Just remember to put back your bands to 2 turns. Either way, it would be a good idea to rebuild the VB at this point.

VB rebuild

I took the VB off before you suggested that I might have a double band, 3.5 turn out band adjustment so the rebuild is underway.

Viva the VB rebuild!

Here is a band comparison (courtesy of Glacier). The one on the left is a double wrap, and the one on the right is the single wrap.
15286Dscn4702.jpg

single vs. double bands

I will look tonight.

I'm waiting for more parts from www.transmissionpartsusa.com (florida) so tonight I'm pulling off both rear drums (I think they're oval) and installing Monroe Sensa-Tracs.

A4LD Sonnax upgrades - ordered

I just ordered the following from www.transmissionpartsusa.com:

Sonnax large boost valve kit w/ o-rings, pt. no. 56947-02K $23.91
Sonnax manual valve index sleeve, pt. no. 56947-01 $17.60
Sonnax 1/4" check balls (pkg. of 10), pt. no. 10000-08 $4.70
TC clutch anti shudder spring (pkg., of 2) , pt. no. 56995A $2.31
TCC screen, pt. no. 23330A $1.95
valve body end plug kit, pt. no. 59947-14K $13.02
high radius relief valves (pkg. of 10), pt. no. 10000-02K $6.29
A4LD update tech manual, pt. no. 23TM01 $14.28

The 1/4" check ball size was a guess; I meant to measure one b4 I came to work today but forgot. I called TransGo and asked thier support guy what size I needed and he said "off the top of my head Ford uses the 1/4" balls." I will double check tonight - hope he was right.

I wanted to order some LubeGaurd, too, but they say that they can ship USPS much faster to the west coast and USPS won't ship LubeGaurd. I will look around locally for some.

Back