• Register Today It's free!

Problems with Door Locks / Ajar

petefisher78

Reaction score
City, State
Holly Springs, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
I am having this problem with my '02 XLS Explorer. The door ajar light is always on. I know about the test that when the car is running open the doors and the one that does not "ding" is the problem. But NONE of them ding. I have soaked all the door pins with WD-40.

The other part, and I think it is releated, is that the door lock button or the mirror control is not working on the driver's side. But I can push the door lock on the passenger side and it locks the doors, but then the driver's door will become unlocked 1 second later. Another thing is that I can use the remote for the door locks when the car is started. I know you are not suppose to be able to do this.

Does this sound like it might be pointing to the door lock / security module? If so, where it is located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same Problem

I am experiencing the same problem on an 03 XLS. Same troubleshooting steps etc. Let me know if you have any luck with this

--Joe

The door ajar light comes on intermittently on my 03 xlt. Then it just shuts off by itself. Can't figure out the problem either. I believe that it is the rear hatch but I am not totally sure. Let me know if you come up with a solution.

Same problem here (again) . Comes and goes. It's the driver door 'cuz the boing boing boing starts as soon as I put the key in the ignition.
I thought cleaning the little brass holes in the door support would stop it. Doesn't.

-- Chuck

I have an 03 xlt the driver door was the problem on mine, i found out that it was the DOOR ADJAR SWITCH/SENSOR (mine has an alarm and it would not set) i found the switch (clips in the door latch, inside the door) and it was uncliped i pushed it back in place it was just poped out in my case... yours could be the same or it could have failed all together...

Thanks, mine is working again! I drenched the door latch mechanism with a silicone lubricant, closed and opened the door a dozen times, and ***Poof!*** she's working again. Always the driver's door. Probably because it's the most used.

I'll resort to pulling the door panel next time, this happens at least once a year.

-- CHuck

But would that explain why my Door lock switch, and the power mirror control does not work?

I am having the very similar problem with my '04. But in addition, the drivers side puddle light does not work even though the bulb is good. Have you tried shutting off the interior light via the dasboard switch. When I do that the power functions work again. For some reason when the interior lights are on, such as when the door is open the power and mirror adjust on the driver door does not work. The funny thing is that as soon as I turn the interior lights on via the dash switch, with the engine running, thje door ajar light turns on as well. freakin' new cars!

Same thing here too.

I have the same exact vehicle and problem as petefisher78. phil_635 read your post but don't understand what you did. Was getting ready to go to the dealership but don't want to spend a lot of cash on something simple. If you could explain where the sensor is at or something maybe that would help. Thanks in advance for any help.

had htat happen with my 2002.
it is the DOOR ADJAR SWITCH/SENSOR
a cheap fix is. and i know you said you sprayed wd 40 on the door pins..
but try spraying the handles lift the handle and spray inside the door with the straw attached. and also inside the key.
My brother in law has replaced a few at his school and tellss me they just get dirty with grime and dust.
mine went out as soon as i did that.

The problem with the door ajar,the power mirrors, the door locks and the puddle lights is the Gem Module it is a very common problem. Remove your radio and the Gem sits on the left side. Close the doors with the radio removed and give it a good wack, if everything starts working again there is your problem. Or you could goto your local Ford Dealership and have them run a network test with W.D.S and that will give you the body fault codes to lead you to replacing the Gem module. Just remember the new Gem needs to be reprogramed with the options group for your specific vehical, or nothing will work if you try to replace this item yourself.

What GEM?

So I tried Ford MasterTech's GEM theroy and came up with nothing. Took the radio off and there is nothing behind it but a bunch of duct work. Don't know exactly what a GEM is but, sure ain't one back there that I see. Oh well guess I am going to have to break down and call the dealership and make an apointment.

I rechecked where the GEM module is on late body Explorers . I checked the EVTM. The correct location is on right side A-piller, remove the glove box and look to the right. The basic part # is 14B205 (the basic # is the # that is in the middle of the part #) that module controls Power mirrors,all lamps, radio, door locks the list goes on and on.The Dealer still has to remove all the programming from the old module and download it into the new module. In your case you will still have to go there.

Another issue

Would the GEM also cause the digital Odometer to stop displaying anything? Is it now not turning on at all? Also the fact that I can use the remote to lock the doors after the car is started and moving.

Also, is the GEM something I could take out, take it to the dealer, ask them to program it, and then put it in myself. Or does it still need to be hooked up and powered to the truck?

Thanks!

I just experienced the same issue with my 02 XLS. The door ajar was stuck on with the power mirror and drivers lock switch not working. I was told by a mechanic that the 02 doesn't have the GEM like the 01 and earlier models. It must have something similar, but anyway he suggested that the problem was the ground which all 3 components share.
This weekend, I opened up the door and confirmed that the ground wire was not grounded. The wire comes through the door right behind the e-brake lever and fuse box. I couldn't really access the wire there without major disassembly. I checked in the passenger side wire track where the ground is suppose to run to G401 and found what I thought was the same wire. It was grounded there but not connected with the door ground. I cut the wire in the door and connected it directly to a ground and everything worked. I wanted to run the wire through the connector to the cabin to a ground point, but I couldn't get to it for the same reason as above. I attached the wire to a bolt on the door for now and it works fine.
I'm curious how any of those above with the same problem made out and if anyone thinks the ground wire I attached to the door will be a problem.

I'm having the same trouble with my 02' EB.I've discovered my door ajar problem happens when it's wet(raining or sometimes after I wash it).The problem is my drivers door as well.I had a new door put on about 2 months ago after my wife had a collision with a deer.I spoke to the dealership/body shop where I had the work done and they told me to bring it in,I'm just waiting for a rainy day so they can look at it while the problem is occurring.I'll post back with what they find out after I get it looked at.

I had the dealer replace 1 switch (door pin) and did some grounding work for the other problems. It cost me about $300. This was after I replaced the GEM module and that did not fix the problem. Problem is fixed now.

'02 Explorer door ajar, door lock, light problem

Before taking your explorer to a dealership check this first. Get yourself a Haynes manual and follow the directions for removing the drivers side inside door panel(its very easy). Next there is a rubber boot that goes from the drivers side door to the body of the vehicle. This is where all of the wires pass through. Sqeeze both ends of this rubber boot to unseat it and push it through into the drivers side door so that it is out of your way. Look for a black 18 awg wire that is severed(you may need to remove some electrical tape). If you find this wire severed get yourself a 4 inch piece of wire, strip the ends and splice the severed wire with crimp splice. Wrap some electrical tape around your splices and then reassemble the vehicle the same way you took it apart. Its a very easy fix for a very annoying problem. You'd think that Ford would put that extra 2 inches of wire in the door to keep this wire from breaking:confused:

Thank You! After almost a year of troubleshooting this problem broken black wire was the culprit. Found and repaired broken ground wire--everthing is fine.
Thanks again!
Louie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back