Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

2nd to 3rd Slip - Sometimes.....

Old 04-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
tmcquinn
Cincinnati, Ohio
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2nd to 3rd Slip - Sometimes.....

1996 Explorer XLT 4WD automatic - 76,000 miles - one owner, mainly wife driven (until now), no towing, no off road, no abuse other than not getting driven much the last 2 years.

I have tried to read through the posts to learn a bit but I'm still no transmission man. I have saved and repeatedly watched a couple of TV shows (Horsepower TV, Extreme 4x4) on auto. transmissions and understand a little, but nowhere near enough to diagnose my problem. Sometimes I hear it slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. The RPM goes up between shifts and it's very noticeable. Then, when it has your full attention, it will NEVER do it a second time. I can see no pattern to when it happens and I can detect no other problems. Hot, cold, driving hard on an on ramp, slow acceleration, it just seems to only slip randomly, usually right after you decide it 'fixed itself'. But I like to feel like my vehicles are dependable. I have two questions:

1) I have read the posts where it sounds like there are codes being generated that relate to the transmission. Is that true, and do these codes get stored without the 'check engine' light coming on? Looking through the old invoices (car was dealer maintained until I inherited it) they are charging me $90.00 just to hook it up to the computer.

2) Given the symptoms above, is there anything that I could attempt with the transmission still in the vehicle that might fix the problem? I would be willing to take a chance on wasting some time and a few dollars. Watching Extreme 4x4 just about had me convinced that I could rebuild a transmission but the more I read about it the more I think a guy ought to practice it about twice a week to be any good at it.

Tom
tmcquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, this one should be not as hard as some. Your problems are more than likely in the valve body or solenoids.... things you can fix without removing the transmission.

Your valve body could have bolts too loose, some damage to the gasket(s) (common) sone VB damage internals (rare), a failing Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) solenoid (common though 73K is a little early) or a bad Shift Solenoid (SSA) (also rare but possible).

You are not into rebuild territory. What is your mechanical experience level?
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I would suggest that you should read Glacier's VB rebuild diary to get familiar with it first before you attempt to rebuild it. It is also a good idea to get the ATSG book. It has some break out diagrams of the VB, although a shift kit would also come with a diagram.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
tmcquinn
Cincinnati, Ohio
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier991
You are not into rebuild territory. What is your mechanical experience level?
I have rebuilt several engines but it was so long ago that they had points and carburetors (over twenty years ago). The last couple of decades I did little more than oil changes and tire rotations. In February I was allowed to assist with some of the easier parts of an annual inspection on an aircraft - plugs, oil & filter, disassembly. In March, with help from the folks here, I replaced the rotors, pads, and emergency brakes on the Explorer. I have basic hand tools, air compressor, torque wrench (18 months out of calibration), dial indicator, 6" dial caliper, taps & dies, etc. I also have another car to drive while this is going on.

This car isn't going back to the dealer any time soon. I would be willing to take a chance on 'fixing' it and screwing it up. One way or another I am going to start doing my own maintenance. I just have so much to learn.....

Tom
Old 04-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
tmcquinn
Cincinnati, Ohio
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBay
Welcome to this forum! I would suggest that you should read Glacier's VB rebuild diary to get familiar with it first before you attempt to rebuild it. It is also a good idea to get the ATSG book. It has some break out diagrams of the VB, although a shift kit would also come with a diagram.
Wilco on both. I think the TV show Trucks just did a shift kit on an S10 and I will watch it again too.

Sorry to be dense, but can I see what transmission I have from underneath the Explorer? ATSG has a bookstore on their web site but I want to order the right book!

Tom
Old 04-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
IAmTodd
Explorer Addict
Johnstown, PA

1994 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I actually had the same problem with my '95 as you are having now. Although I sold it before it was fixed/got worse.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

The 4R44E 4 speed is for the 3.0L. The 4R55E is for the 4.0L. The 5R55E is the 5 speed on the 4.0L.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
tmcquinn
Cincinnati, Ohio
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
The 4R44E 4 speed is for the 3.0L. The 4R55E is for the 4.0L. The 5R55E is the 5 speed on the 4.0L.
Thanks. I have the 4.0L and I just ordered the ATSG manual. So hopefully my future questions will sound more like I belong under the car. Speaking of which, I just got under it for a quick look. That isn't going to be an easy place to work. I may have to start with some taller jack stands or go on a crash diet............

Tom
Old 04-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

You should do fine. I think you will find most all of what you need info wise in the Diary. If you think something should be there that isn't let me know. I want it to be as complete and stand alone as possible.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
tmcquinn
Cincinnati, Ohio
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier991
You should do fine. I think you will find most all of what you need info wise in the Diary. If you think something should be there that isn't let me know. I want it to be as complete and stand alone as possible.
OK, I hope you're saying that the 4R55E and 5R55E are similar enough that I should read the "5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary" sticky to familiarize myself with my 4R55E. If so, I'm on it.

As for pointing out any errors and omissions I might find, please be advised that I can be annoying pedantic but I don't expect the world to take me seriously!

Tom
Old 04-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #11
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

This site has an excellent search engine that could be used to search a thread, the entire website, or just by somebody's name if you know who might have posted the information that you might need. Don't forget to also search photo gallery for pictures, and diagrams. I'm sure that if you do these things, you could probably find what you are looking for most of the time. If you get stuck on something, and can't find it, you could always post your question. Just let us know if it works out. It will help other people in the process that have a similar issue.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:41 AM   #12
douglaswmoyer
Sacramento, Ca
'92 EB

Vehicle Specs

My Bad

I have the same problem. Mine started with a dirty transmission filter. (I barely made it home!) after changing the filter, now- (when cold only) it dosen't want to shift from second to third unless I let off the gas. Seems ok after that. Could be reving a little high to shift. Any ideas?

Last edited by douglaswmoyer; 04-22-2006 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Mistake- 1-2 shift not 2-3
douglaswmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 AM   #13
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Welcome to this forum! You have an A4LD transmission. If your fluid was pretty dirty, and you started to have shifting problems only when it is cold, then it could be your governor. That is responsible for the 1-2 shift. The intermediate band is for 2nd. Did you try to adjust it? You could have a partial clog in your valve body, or cooler. There are 2 solenoids in your transmission. One is for overdrive, and the other one is for the torque converter locking, and unlocking. Did you do a pressure test? It will tell you where you might have a problem. How many miles do you have? Sometimes it could be the valve body gaskets, or loose valve body bolts.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
tmcquinn
Cincinnati, Ohio
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
This site has an excellent search engine that could be used to search a thread, the entire website, or just by somebody's name if you know who might have posted the information that you might need. Don't forget to also search photo gallery for pictures, and diagrams. I'm sure that if you do these things, you could probably find what you are looking for most of the time. If you get stuck on something, and can't find it, you could always post your question. Just let us know if it works out. It will help other people in the process that have a similar issue.
Yes sir, I have been doing that since the very beginning. I appreciate the help the you, Glacier, and others offer and I want to avoid running to the computer every other time I remover a bolt or a screw. I have the Ford TSB CD now and an ATSG manual on the way and I have the wife braced for what the garage is going to be like while this goes on (hideous, tiny, crappy garage that is barely better than being out in the rain).

Can I get a sanity check on something? Before I get started, I should order a (Ford, Superior or Transgo) shift kit and an EPC solenoid, right? I don't see any pictures of any gaskets in the VB diary and I'm wondering if they are included.

I have run out of paper trying to print the VB diary so I can highlight parts of it and page back & forth more easily. More questions shall surely follow when I return from the office supply store!

Tom
Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #15
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

You should get the EPC, bracket, bonded gaskets, and as far as the shift kits, the Ford, and the Superior. Read this thread too: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...stairway+diary. This is what Bigg_Billy recommends to buy:
a. EPC XL2Z-7G383-AA @ = $112 (This part is the same for all)
b. SOL BRACKET XL2Z-7L491-AA = $6 (same for all)
c. FORD SEP PLATE 1L5Z-7Z490-GA = $14
d. FORD TSB KIT 3L5Z-7M203-JA = $14 (same for all)

2. Purchased from: BULKPARTS.COM

a. SUPERIOR SHIFT CORRECTION KIT S56165H = $36 (same for all)
b. FILTER - 56010G = $11 (Same for all 4X4)
c. GASKET - 56300EF = $2 (Same for all)
Old 04-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
tmcquinn
Cincinnati, Ohio
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Talking

Parts are on the way.....

If anyone else tries to follow this, I bought the first parts (EPC, Sol. Bracket, Sep Plate, TSB Kit) from fordparts.com. The second list of parts I did buy through bulkparts but, after some initial frustration, decided that Makco Distributing, Inc. must be the vendor:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...T&Store_Code=2

I would never have been able to put this parts list together on my own as many of them list as 5R55E parts and I am doing a 4R55E, so thanks for the help.

Tom
Old 04-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #17
tmcquinn
Cincinnati, Ohio
1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
You should get the EPC, bracket, bonded gaskets, and as far as the shift kits, the Ford, and the Superior. Read this thread too: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...stairway+diary. This is what Bigg_Billy recommends to buy:
a. EPC XL2Z-7G383-AA @ = $112 (This part is the same for all)
b. SOL BRACKET XL2Z-7L491-AA = $6 (same for all)
c. FORD SEP PLATE 1L5Z-7Z490-GA = $14
d. FORD TSB KIT 3L5Z-7M203-JA = $14 (same for all)

2. Purchased from: BULKPARTS.COM

a. SUPERIOR SHIFT CORRECTION KIT S56165H = $36 (same for all)
b. FILTER - 56010G = $11 (Same for all 4X4)
c. GASKET - 56300EF = $2 (Same for all)
And I haven't even gotten dirty.........

I just got an e-mail from fordparts.com. Ken says that EPC XL2Z-7G383-AA is the wrong part for a 1996 with a 4R55E . Says it should be F5TZ-7H144-A and it's $242.23. Any comments greatly appreciated as I am getting that sinking feeling.

He also sent me TSB 03-22-10 that Glacier991 describes in the VB Rebuild Diary and says it's for some of the parts I'm requesting. Does the Superior Shift Correction kit address the TSB and make it a non issue?

Tom
Old 04-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #18
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

If you reference the TSB in the Diary, you can determine what separator plate you need and if you need gaskets for it (you will in your case) which gaskets those are. The bonded plate only came on much later year models than yours. It is NOT one size fits all on separator plates and gaskets. The FORD blowoff mod IS one size fits all.

I recommend the Superior kit, as it is more readily used when using the FORD MOD kit.

I'll investigate the EPC issue. That sounds absurd, but then I haven't looked into it yet. At that price I'd be pricing a new VB!
Old 04-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #19
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Well, apparently the 4R55 DOES use a different EPC. The FORD version LISTS for $289 and he provides the correct #. He's giving for a $45 discount from list. I can price one at my trans supplier for grins if you like.

I learn something every day.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #20
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Glacier, what year was the separator plate used with the bonded gaskets? Did the newer years use the cheaper EPC? I guess the 4R VB was different in the older ones, but became interchangeable in the later ones. Is that a correct assumption?

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page