• Register Today It's free!

5.0 PCV Valve swap -

rtbrjason

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 EB AWD
I'm trying to swap the pcv valve in my 98 AWD 5.0. I have a general idea of where to find it (between the firewall and engine about in the middle), but I can't seem to get a hand on it to pull the old one out. Is there a tip or trick to swapping this? Any angle that I can see it from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 97 the only way I could see it was to use an inspection mirror with a flashlight and I found it. It is around the middle of the intake plenum and straight down. The only way I could get my big hand in there was to disconnect the big harness junction on the firewall. It just gave me alittle more room to move around. For me once I could see it, I was able to find it right away. It is a pain in the butt!

Hey bud...there's some good pics if you do a search. I tried to find the thing for 2-3 years, finally came across this site w/ pics and badda-boom...found it/replaced it! rs

This is on the 4.0L SOHC:
1097010604-03.jpg

This is on the 4.0L OHV:
pcv.jpg

well I just happen to have a "few" 5.0L's laying around so I figured I could help.
Here is a ppicture taken of the PCV location, remember this drivetrain is sitting on a pallet, not in a truck, so I am standing over the transmission when I took this picture...the PCV is right where the fuel rail dips down, just behind the upper intake....

pcv.jpg

pcv2.jpg

Please excuse the dirty engine, this came out of my very muddy 96 project with 151K

Sure, after 8 months of searching, and finally finding it last week, NOW someone decides to post a picture of it. ;-) Thanks anyway!

You are welcome :) hahahahaha its not everyday I have a 5.0L sitting on a pallet in my garage, sorry it took so long! oh man thats funny...FYI on all 3 of my 5.0L's the PCV valve works just fine.

410Fortune said:
You are welcome :) hahahahaha its not everyday I have a 5.0L sitting on a pallet in my garage, sorry it took so long! oh man thats funny...FYI on all 3 of my 5.0L's the PCV valve works just fine.

Just a note, as mentioned in the link posted, my PCV also rattles, but it's no longer a valve. What it didn't mention in that link was the grommet. My PCV was just sitting in the hole because the grommet is so worn. None of the local dealer will sell me the $6 PCV, but I did get the $7 grommet, and ordered the PCV (along with a fuel filter and serpentine belt) from fastpartsnetwork.com, so I should finally get this done.

Ford sucks, and should be ashamed of themselves trying to sell someone a $35 PCV with hose, rather than a $6 (still incredibly overpriced) PCV alone.

Was it hard to get the new grommet in?

302Xplorer said:
Was it hard to get the new grommet in?

I'll let you know. It'll probably be a bit of a pain. I just got the grommet yesterday, and had to order the PCV valve, so I won't climb in there until I get the part in, so probably early next week.

mine just pulls right out of the manifold, with the grommet, on all 3 engines. Shouldnt take more then 2 minutes to swap out

I replaced my pcv @ 60 k but not the grommet.

I guess I should go back and do that.

Does anyone have a part #?

Oops, I meant the part # for the grommet.

But thanks anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back