how to set prices for individual parts on a 'soon to be parted out' X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to set prices for individual parts on a 'soon to be parted out' X?

saxon

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 & '93 EB, 4WD, 4-door
I've always wondered about this; what is the best way to set prices for the individual bits and pieces of a car that I will be parting out? Has anyone ever posted a guideline on that?

I just bought X no. 2 a few hours ago to get the transmission, wheels, tires, factory CD player, grill, strg wheel and a few other bits that I need for my 1991 so there will be LOTS to part out. How do people determine prices for what's sold? Use eBay completed prices as a guide? Something else?

I will post the parts for sale with photos and descriptions in the 'for sale' section in a few weeks.

Do not ask me what parts I have to sell now; no response will be given from this posting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could compare prices of what other people here are selling the same stuff for. If somebody is selling a part for $10, and another person is selling the same thing for $20, you will know a minimum, and maximum price to sell it for. The price also depends upon its condition. The $20 part could be mint condition when the $10 part could be average condition. You could also compare prices on EBay. I don't know if this will help you, but there is a website called WWW.MySimon.Com that is basically designed to compare prices of things.

BrooklynBay said:
<snip> You could also compare prices on EBay. <snip>

I just looked at eBay for 1993 explorer parts and they seem to mostly list only new radiators, manuals, and keyless entries (that was about 80% of the completed listings). Maybe Craigslist or this forum is better for this sort of thing.

I always say with this stuff, take what anybody gives you.

It is better to take $5.00 for a part that "retails" for $20.00, than to hold on to it for 2 years trying to sell it for your firm price.

Start like this

Engine/transsmission/big stuff $200 and up.

Accessories like panels or door knobs $5.00 plus shipping.

If you do that you will have sold the car off in no time and have several hundred bucks.

Good luck.

If you want Ebay prices then sell on Ebay.

Any part that has a tendency to wear out or break has a greater value then something that doesn't.
Some of the parts you won't be able to give away becuase no one will ever need them.

Good door panels can bring good $ on Ebay so you might want to check that out.

If you want to sell on here I would make a list of what you don't have and then when someone inquires about a part you could do a little checking and then post a fair price for both parties.

Make sure you describe the part to the "T". I recently purchased some heads off this site and the guy never said anything about having to tap out stripped bolt holes or anything about three broken bolts that seem to be a permanent part of the head because they ain't coming out.

I had that with a guy on EBay. He sold me an air cleaner that wasn't for my model year (and also broke during shipping). A few months later, he sent me the correct one (but was already broken before it was shipped). It's hard to buy something without looking it over first.

Back