Painting the windshield cowl(s) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting the windshield cowl(s)

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
A project that has been on the way back burner for a long, long time has come to fruition today; painting the windshield cowl(s).

The plastic has faded to an ugly black/gray color. Previously I have used Mothers Back to Black ( http://www.autogeek.net/motbactrimca.html ) on it numerous times, only to have it fade out in a few days. The only real solution was to pain it.

I considered painting it to match the body color ( Metallic Chestnut ) with paint I obtained from Paint Scratch ( http://www.paintscratch.com ) only to find out that my supply was almost out, therefore I decided to go satin black with Krylon Fusion ( http://www.krylon.com/main/product_...lid=10&productid=1751&content=product_details ).

The first step in the project is to remove the cowls. To accomplish this, first the windshield wiper arms must be removed followed by removing the retain screw in the driver’s side cowl, next the ends of the cowl were lifted to disengage the retaining clips. Next, the windshield washer hose was disconnected and the cowl lifted off.

The cowls were thoroughly scrubbed with Simple Green ( http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_ori.php ) and then wiped down with acetone and allowed to dry. Then 3 coats of Krylon Fusion paint were applied.

After thoroughly drying, the cowls were reinstalled by reversing the removal procedure.

This project took a couple hours at a cost of nothing but my time ( I had the paint and cleaners on hand ).

I am very pleased with the results, in my opinion it looks very nice. In the future, I might body match the color.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2,456
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,453

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks real nice... i think thats what i will do to mine
thanks!!!!

looks really good.....strange mine has not faded much since 96...it is still black.....but anyway great job

SkanlaxJMO said:
looks really good.....strange mine has not faded much since 96...it is still black.....but anyway great job

The sun shines very strong at this latitude ( 27.336N ).

^^ahh ok the sun doesnt shine much in SYR NY....

Looks nice, Adam's Polishes has something called In and Out that does a very nice job, just for this kind of application.

Looks good.

I have never had any luck painting any of the exterior plasic with that paint. It seems to fade to quick in the weather. But I also didn't prepare the surface in the way you did. So that might make the difference. I like the Fusion mostly for the cars interior painting. Tell us how well it holds up in the future.

as always al, a great idea and the write up to back it up. nice work.

I painted my cowl,wiper arms the black metal parts (not the plastic)around the rear hatch and the doors on the 2 dr sport with Trim Black.Painted my nerf bars Rustoleum Satin black cause can't find right color match

sweet write up. a couple of weeks ago i was considering the same thing but then i couldnt get the cowls off and i was out of time to mess with it. seeing how good it looks has given me new inspiration!

Al, totally do the body match
That would look WAY sweet

Hey, looks good. I'm curious, what's the point of using acetone to clean the plastic? Doesn't it eat it away at all?

xj220 said:
Hey, looks good. I'm curious, what's the point of using acetone to clean the plastic? Doesn't it eat it away at all?

A great degrease; a quick wipe down harms nothing.

How do I get the Wiper Arms off?

Windshield wipers

Hello!

I have 1996 Ford Explorer XLT. My windshield wipers are too loose and when working they go over the coil. I think the problem is with the bushing connecting motor arms with the ball of the rotator of the wiper arm, located just under the coil. How can i fix it or what else it could be?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks real good.. i need to do mine!

Back