Solved - Transfer Case Cross-Reference (Different fitments) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transfer Case Cross-Reference (Different fitments)

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Gary Simpson

Reaction score
City, State
Vineland,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Ford Explorer
If you need a transfer case and you don't have the money for an atlas or other options this a cheap and awesome option. A transfer case out of a Bronco 2 automatic or manual tranny. Will fit on the 95-96 transmisson either five speed Mazda R-1 or 4-R55E. It was the best thing I ever did. I blew up six stock Explorer transfer cases then I put the manual Bronco 2 transfer case and I havn't had a problem yet. The only mod I did to fit the case was to modify the front driveshaft from the Bronco to transfer case, shortening it to make it fit. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its either a BW 1350 or 1354. The 1354 has the front output flange instead of a slipyoke. The 1350 you can pickup anywhere for nothing. The 1354 is more expensive, and the manual version of it is not only hard to find but quite a bit more expensive.

No its cheap as hell 100 bucks is all i spet at a junkyard it was the 1350 bw manual shift, an all i did 2 the front shaft was the stock bronco shaft with the slip yoke an shortin it 2 fit

also when or if u do this conversion u need to get different bolts to bolt the transfer case on. stock explorer bolts wouldn't work so dont thread them in.

Gary Simpson said:
..u need to get different bolts to bolt the transfer case on. stock explorer bolts wouldn't work so dont thread them in.
I swapped the 4405 for a man.1354 - I used the old bolts that held on the 4405.

Also when u do the transfer 1350 manual shift conversion u gain a 2wd low range by not lockin the frt hubs with 4x4 switch give u a imaginary second stick making a fast and easy gear option instead of buyin more expensive t-case 2 do tat

I'm Installing A Transmition In My 97 Explorer. It's Got The 5r55e In It. Can Anyone Give Me Some Tips On The Proper Way To Get At The Top Two Bolts

Its been a while but I think the easiest way is to remove the tunnel cover from the inside. Then you have access to it from the top.

Thank you guys , I just found the site I think I'm going to like it here.

Back