Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

Oxygen Sensor Error code – PO153 Slow Response

Old 06-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
asokolski
Minneapolis, MN
1996 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Oxygen Sensor Error code – PO153 Slow Response

Ok, first, I’m new here. This board is great, thanks moderators and contributors! Y’all have have helped me save almost $500 in just two weeks (break job, serpentine and tensioner).

I just bought a few weeks ago a 1996, Explorer XLT, 4.0 w/ 88,000 miles, very good condition. Its idling roughly, hissing a bit (MAF?) and CEL light on constantly. No coolant loss that I can see, no oil loss that I can see, a bit of hesitation or weak acceleration at speed when AC is on.

Autozone read the codes today:

PO153 – O2 Sensor – Bank 2, Series 1 - Slow Response

I know this is the Oxygen sensor problem. However, I’m unsure if this is a situation where one should replace the O2 sensor or look upstream for other problems that my cause the O2 sensor to throw that “slow response” code.

I spent about one hour searching the forums for answers and I hope I'm not bringing up a dead horse topic. However, the only concrete thing I’ve found is to replace the sensor, “slow response” indicates a sensor problem. I'm not one to blame the sensor, but think this might be the sensor telling me something. But I don't know what "slow resonse" is.

Is slow response an indication of a bad sensor. Or should I be looking upstream at another problem/solution??

Thanks!
asokolski is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by asokolski
This board is great, thanks moderators and contributors! Y’all have have helped me save almost $500 in just two weeks (break job, serpentine and tensioner).
Just more reasons why you should contribute to the site and become Elite. $20 is nothing compared to 500

-Drew

Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
asokolski
Minneapolis, MN
1996 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Ok, more searching and I think I've got the answer.

Seems as though "slow response" with codes 153 and 133 indicate that the sensor is shot, or possibly the wires/harness is loose.

I'm going to change out the sensor tomorrow, clear codes, and see what happens.
asokolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Runnin'OnEmpty
Southeast USA
2000 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
A 'slow response' code almost always points to a faulty O2 sensor. Bank 2, sensor 1 is the upstream sensor on the driver's side.

Did you replace the sensor, and did it indeed fix it?

2000 Sport 4x2, 4.0 ohv, 5R55E w/Superior shift kit, 3.55 diff, Mazda truck alloys/BFG TAs, RoadMaster Active Suspension, EE anti-sway bar, F&R poly bushings, camber kit, Rancho shocks, Hooker Aero Chamber muffler, Medium Wedgewood Blue.....

Bought another 2000 Sport (God help me), 4.0 ohv auto, 60K actual miles, Cragar SS alloys/BFG TAs, AAL, EE anti-sway bar, Gibson cat-back, Harvest Gold, GT leather interior.
Runnin'OnEmpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Paula123
Riverside CA
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

My 96 5.0 Explorer threw a PO153 code, bank 2 senor 1, slow response.
Where do I look for the problem?
Paula123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
dgbaak

Vehicle Specs

I had code P0153 and just replaced 02 sensor on drivers side before the catalytic converter. I've read lots of posts about how difficult it is to access. Maybe it is on other Explorer models but I have a 96 XLT 4.0 liter and it was easy to crawl under the car and see it, just inside of the driver's side wheel. I had an 02 sensor removal tool but I'm sure I could have removed it without the tool. Access to the actual sensor is very easy. Unclipping the harness was a bit of a pain because I wasn't sure how to get it off. There's a small tab you depress then pull the harness off. The pain was with the new sensor. I bought a Bosch from Autozone for about $60 and you have to strip the wires on both sides and install some crazy contraption they had to reconnect the old wires with the wires on the new sensor. Once that was done I screwed in the new sensor first so I wouldn't twist the wires, then clipped in the harness and I was done. Drove it for 20 miles and the CEL didn't come on...so far so good.
dgbaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
jremington59
Elite Explorer
Watertown, NY

1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula123 View Post
My 96 5.0 Explorer threw a PO153 code, bank 2 senor 1, slow response.
Where do I look for the problem?
That would be the sensor on the drivers side before the cat. If your exhaust is good and the wire isn't bad it's a faulty 02 sensor.
jremington59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
roger8100
patterson
1997 ford exploere

Vehicle Specs

1997 ford xploere sport

I'm having a bad time picking up speed . And I don't know what to do anybody out there van give me a tip th[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUiBE]anks.
roger8100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page