Barack Obama linked 2nd gen. SAS | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Barack Obama linked 2nd gen. SAS

So let me first start with a quick introduction .. my name is Barack Obama and apparently I'm the junior US Senator from Illinois :thumbsup: . I love slow walks on the beach and bed-side stories. Yeah I'm talking to you big boy:

Barack.jpg

Okay now onto the goods...

So recently I've been starting a few threads all relating to my Dana 44 front axle and other tid bits - so I figured it would be best if I just started an SAS thread to pull all of those threads together into one centralize place instead of having them floating about the sea of other threads.

Follow me now as I look back on the threads that I've started:

1) Reading Pinion Depth Number In this thread, I was confused on which number was the pinion depth offset number of my ring and pinion set for the Dana 44. After calling up the good people of Randy's Ring and Pinion, I was told that the numbers on the ring and pinion are no longer used for the pinion depth offset. So I'm like wtf m8!? They did give me a number to start from and so thats what I started with.

2) Ford 9" For Off-Road Use In this thread, I ask the general public what they think about the Ford-9" axle for off-road use. Conclusion, bowties - the GM 14-bolt axle with the stock Detroit locker is a God's send and so thats what I'm going with (it comes with a pinion bearing support - just like the Ford-9").

3) RE SuperFlex Assemby I've never put together a Rubicon Express SuperFlex Joint so in this thread, I ask the public how in the world these things are put togehter. And to be more specific, I was confused how to drive the plastic bushings into the housing. Conclusion - use a press <- faaantastic.

4) Hi-Steer Arms 10-degree Correction In this fabulous discussion, we discuss the ever-popular 10-degree correction that is often placed on High-Steer Arms. In the end, I decided to go with the Sky-Manufacturing arms (although I never updated the thread I dont think - darnit).

5) Dana 44 Ball Joint Sleeve > Replace? Ah finally, the pain in the asymptote. In this thread, which I have yet to resolve really, the problem is that the upper Ball Joint sleeve has frozen itself onto the "C" (aka inner knuckle). The issue has yet to be resolved so no conclusion yet.

Well then, lets dive into some concepts and design ideas.

3link_concept.jpg

As you can see, the front axle is located via a 3-link with a panhard bar. Each link will be mounted to the chassis using Rubicon Express Large SuperFlex Joint. Why go with the RE Joint? Well I was quite impressed at how much JEFE's front axle flexed - so I decided to go with the same joint. I recently asked him whether or not he has broken the 9/16" bolts used to attach the joint to the chassis and he said no - a big :thumbsup: . The link's body is made of a 2"x2" - 0.25" wall square tube - similar to Clayton Off-Road's long arms. Currently, my calculations are aiming for the bottom links to be 38.7" in length and the upper to be 34.2" (figures may change). This gives me an anti-dive of about 105% but I will make the upper link adjustable vertically at the chassis so the anti-dive characteristic can be fine tuned. The bottom links are angled "toe-out" becaue the Dana 44 is a "Wide-Track" axle and the Explorer's chassis is about 2" narrower than the Wide-Track axle's ideal mounting points. The "toe-out" angle however is not severe : about 2" out for the about total 38" length. The two bottom links are attached to the axle via a regular rubber-bushing. The upper "third" link is attached to the axle with the same type of rubber bushing except this one is adjustable - to allow for pinion angle changes.

Onto the front axle itself: As stated, the front "Wide Track" axle is from a Grand Wagoneer (I believe '86). Currently, its geared 5.13 with open differential. I'll throw in a locker in the future after I get this running. The axle was originally running the Wagoneer 6-lug bolt pattern but, because the rear GM 14-bolt is 8-lug, I switched the Dana 44 to 8-lug pattern using parts from a K20 (caliper bracket from a J20). As for the high-steer arms, as stated previously, I decided to go with SkyManufacturing's standard arms with the 10-degree correction angle (arms are on their way from CA).

The steering gear box is out of an IFS Toyota and the entire steering setup will utilize only Chevy TRE's except at the pitman arm.

The front axle will be suspended by Fox 2.5" Nitrogen Air Shocks with 16" of travel.

The rear axle, again as stated before, is a GM 14-bolt with a Detroit locker. Initially, it will be leaf sprung using the Explorer's stock leaf springs (with an AAL and WAR153s). However, I do plan on going 4-link in the near future after the Explorer starts rolling again.

Now onto some newbie pics..

The axle the day it arrived from New Jersey:
axle_pickup.jpg

Before last winter came, I emptied an entire can of Liquid Wrench (and other llubricants) into the differential to soak everything down in preparation for the following spring.
d44_greased.jpg

When spring finally came, the axle was torn down:
d44_housing.jpg

New carrier and new gears. The carrier bearings below are the set-up bearings which have had their inner races grinded down for repetative installation and removal on the carrier while the pinion and ring gear geometry was fine tuned:
d44_carrier.jpg

Spring also brought wheeling weather and I got high-centered on a rock so I decided to SOA the back for fun (the thing on the back is my snowboard and bike rack) and had to get my driveshaft retubed because it popped in half:
soa_backshot.jpg

The caliper brakets from a J20 after sand blasting and a coat of epoxy paint:
d44_caliperbracket_painted.jpg

Flat-top knuckles from a J10 masked off and ready for some epoxy paint:
d44_knuckle_ready_for_paint.jpg

Inner "C"s on the front axle sliced from the axle tubes (and temporarily knocked out about .125" for easier rotation) to set proper caster angle:
inner_c_sliced.jpg

Chevy K20 8-lug rotors .. "Oh my Mr. Obama, what big rotors you have. Why yes Sally, I do have big rotors." :
d44_rotor.jpg

Chevy K20 calipers:
d44_caliper.jpg

And finally for now, the RE SuperFlex joints:
re_joint.jpg

As for tires, right now I have a set of 36" TSL-SX's I bought for cheap from a local individual.

So what's in the future? Well the rest of the link parts are on their way - as well as the high steer arms. The Fox shocks will be purchased in about 2 weeks and the 14-bolt axle will be picked up about 3 weeks to a month after that. The rear axle is the least of my worries so that's the last thing on this Senator's mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

JoshC said:
Sweet, i might have to use that idea if it works! lol How will you set the brake?
The brake master cylinder will be bolted to the original parking brake lever that you step on to set the parking brake. I just need to extend the brake hose cauz right now, its only like a foot long. And it needs to go from where the parking brake lever is, through the firewall, and to the transfer case's rear output flange.

Nice, good idea.

Is trckmagik's using the same idea?

Also JoshC, depending on what axle you're using on the rear, you may be able to use the older 76-78 Cadilac Eldorado calipers on your rear axle - this particular caliper is obviously hydraulic but comes with an extra lever on the side that is used as a parking brake lever.

I could have used the Eldorado caliper on my 14-bolt but I already bought the motorcycle caliper and rotor so I decided I'll just put the E-brake at the transfer case.

ElDorado caliper:
Small%20El%20Dorado%20Caliper%20web%20ver.JPG

I've got a full size 9", would that work?

IZwack said:
Well I havent done the brake lines yet - but I hope to sometime this week. So pls wait a few days :D

An update eh.. well I haven't found the time to work on it since Saturday.. and it looks like I'm going to be making my own pitman arm - so I plan to do that on Wednesday of this week.

My transfer-case mounted E-brake parts have arrived - I'm using a rotor for one of those 50cc dirt bikes for little kids, and the caliper and brake master cyl for the E-brake are from a 1985 Kawasaki Ninja 600.

sorry i meant some better pics of the fuel line relocation

The progress has been sloooow these past few weeks.

But among other little things (like driveshaft lenghtening, transmission mounts, etc..), the latest thing I've done was the transfer-case E-brake and the tone ring for the RABS.

Two pics of the entire thing mounted to the transfer case (minus the brake pads):

ebrake_02.jpg

ebrake_01.jpg

A shot of the tone ring welded to the BW-1354 output flange. The ring was made from an old Dana 44 carrier bearing race.

ebrake_tonering_03.jpg

Two shots of the tone ring and the ABS sensor:

ebrake_tonering_01.jpg

ebrake_tonering_02.jpg

The sensor was kept independant of the transfer-case brake becasue the cage that the caliper is bolted to might flex when the E-brake is applied which could crash the sensor head onto the tone-ring's set of teeth. So the sensor was instead bolted directly to the transfer case's casing.

Now if some one could please school me on brake lines and fittings - there are too many freaking terms and numbers!! I am getting confused with all the flares (45 and 37 degree) and the type of fittings (SAE, JIC, AN, something called "pipe"). But basically, what I have on the vehicle is the brake master cyl, a set of calipers on all four wheels which all require a 7/16-inch banjo, and one original hard line that goes from the brake master cyl. to the back of the vehicle -- everything else needs to be made. Can some one please school me on the flares and the fittings? For example, if I were to go to a local parts store (like Napa) and buy a section of hard line, what type of fitting is on that (SAE?) and what degree of flare (45?) ?

How did you cut all the holes in the bracket and the slots in the tone ring?

section525 said:
How did you cut all the holes in the bracket and the slots in the tone ring?
The holes in the braket were done with a few hole saws (remember we talked about this over AIM a looong time ago.. you mentioned something about your old but trusty drill press after i had asked you how you made those holes on your front cross member)

As for the slots in the tone ring, after two or so years of using a Dewalt angle grinder (with a cut-off wheel), I've become somewhat good at "filet"-ing steel :confused:

Well they look orgasmic. You did a great job.

section525 said:
Well they look orgasmic. You did a great job.
Thanks
cheers.gif

so how about schooling me on brake fittings
bowdown.gif

Wow i must say i'm seriously impressed. I love the bracket for the brake, why don't you make me one since you have all this free time :D

The standard brakeline is an SAE 45* double flare. At least I'm pretty sure its SAE, but you won't get them confused with JIC and AN when you're talking brakelines to a parts counter guy. Ford has been known to use what is refered to as a bubble flare as well on the master cylinder end, this looks similar to a single flare, or the first step of a double flare and I've heard you can make a single flare work even if its not a proper bubble flare or whatever. In any event, if you want to use all pre-cut lines, simply get the standard 3/16" (7/16 thread) brakelines and use an adapter at the mastercylinder, I had an f-150 that also had a fitting at the master that was 3/16" line, but 1/2" or 5/8" thread, I used an adapter there to get to a 7/16" thread I believe...you could also get a flaring kit and have the ability to make custom lengths, but that process can be frustrating. If you go that route, do a search on the web and you'll be able to find a few different step by step, with pics, articles on using the thing. I've only used my tool a couple times so I'm not an expert. If you go to a good parts store the guy behind the counter will help you out greatly...

Flaring a brake line is HORRIBLE. I did it when i took out my ABS, never again!

hey thanks for the reply Byrd91 :D

i think i've got my brake lines and hoses down ..
I am going to get the brake hoses custom made from XtremeCrawlers.com. I PM-ed them on PBB and they gave me a good quote for six hoses. The look like this and are available in many colors:
brake_lines.jpg

The problem I was having before was, every 'speed' company/shop out there that makes brake hoses (braided steel) typically go with the AN end fittings while the "hard" brake lines that are available at most local stores use the SAE fittings. So if I went this route, I would have needed 8 adapters -- somewhat of a "dirty" of a setup switching back and forth between AN and SAE.

So four of the custom hoses from XtremeCrawlers will have the standard SAE fitting on one end that will mate up with the hard lines at most local parts store, and a 7/16" banjo fitting on the other end for the calipers. On the other hand, two will have standard SAE fittings on both ends - these are for the drop between the chassis and the axle.

I did buy a flare tool too - but I'm not sure I"m goign to be using them cauz now everything is pre-made and is just a bolt-on.

you got any good links on coverting a DRW 14b to a SRW? I can get one for next to nothing and it looks very tempting.

sn0border88 said:
you got any good links on coverting a DRW 14b to a SRW? I can get one for next to nothing and it looks very tempting.
So you want to widen the axle? (SRW is wider than DRW)

But theres nothing to it to convert from one to the other - its just a hub swap. You can try looking over Pirate's 14 bolt bible but I don't think that writeup goes too indepth on how to swap out the hubs - it covers the differences between C&C, SRW, and DRW - but not so much on how to swap one to the other.

sn0border88 said:
you should just need the SRW hubs for it. i bought a rear 70 that was DRW and i just bought some single rear hubs for it. it should be all you need.

Back