Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > New Members - Photo Gallery- Explorer Registries - Features - Reviews > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves to our family of Ford Explorer enthusiasts Welcome aboard!!

freeze plugs fell into water jacket

Old 06-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
cashark
rogers,ar.
1996 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
freeze plugs fell into water jacket

I did something bad, hears the reader digest virsion,..I was replacing a freeze plug that fell out of my explorer (1996 4.0 engine) I never done this before butt i looked easy enough, it took me three trys to get it in, my problem is the first two fell into the water jacket of the block. ( i know stupid!) is their any way to get them out? my explorer run for a while ( few weeks) then overheated ... I was told i cracked the heads or head gaskets. I used some " steel seal" which i bought online for the cracked head or gaskets which seemed to work just fine, but now it overheats right away and coolant does not seem to be flowing. I removed the t-stat to see if coolant was flowing in the rad. but it just comes out the top of the cap. could these freeze plugs that i dropped into the water jacket be blocking the flow?
cashark is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
old mechanic
R.I.
92 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Anything is possible but there are probably millions of vehicles riding around with freeze plugs inside their blocks.
old mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
cashark
rogers,ar.
1996 xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
That's what I was thinking (that I wasn't alone in dropping a few in the water jacket) I'm still having problems with overheating, I've flashed the rad. and I dissconnected both rad. hoses then I ran water through the upper hose and it run out the lower. I ran water through the top of block where the t-stat is and water ran out the lower hose. But when I tried to run water through the lower hose it seem to be blocked? water just ran out of it (lower hose) My next questions are can a water pump block the flow of coolant going into the engine? And can a water pump go out without any leakage from the weep hole? the fan turns normal so should'nt the inside of pump turn and push the coolant through? or can the inside stop pushing the collant even if the fan is turning?
cashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
old mechanic
R.I.
92 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashark
That's what I was thinking (that I wasn't alone in dropping a few in the water jacket) I'm still having problems with overheating, I've flashed the rad. and I dissconnected both rad. hoses then I ran water through the upper hose and it run out the lower. I ran water through the top of block where the t-stat is and water ran out the lower hose. But when I tried to run water through the lower hose it seem to be blocked? water just ran out of it (lower hose) My next questions are can a water pump block the flow of coolant going into the engine? And can a water pump go out without any leakage from the weep hole? the fan turns normal so should'nt the inside of pump turn and push the coolant through? or can the inside stop pushing the collant even if the fan is turning?
-----
You need to check the usual problems first like bad thermostat (put the thermostst in a pan of HOT water and see if it opens up), fan belt slipping, bad hoses, pluged radiator, bad water pump,
I have seen many times that when everything seems to be ok, the lower hose usually, but the upper sometimes, will be weak and as you drive it will close up and you will overheat.
As for the water pump, usually it will leak out the bottom hole when it goes. The only thing that really goes on a water pump is the bearing.
Disconnect the negative battery cable, grab the fan blades top and bottom and rock back and forth, if it moves your bearing is gone.
old mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page