Bigger T/ bar Bolts Fitted and more lift all-round | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bigger T/ bar Bolts Fitted and more lift all-round

Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I sorted the Torsion bar bolts out, Customized some Grade 10.9 bolts in M12-1.75*110, had to shorted the bolt’s and cut a longer thread in em as they were not available in Full thread in that grade and size, Did the work on a lath so that made the job a chit load easer. I took it slow cutting the new thread at 30RPM and did 2 parses with the M12 cutting dye and then a finishing cut with a M12-1.75 Dye Nut using a lot of cutting fluid. I then cut them down to 85mm and Busted a Cemented Carbide parting off tool wile doing it, Woops, well I am not a Machinist so what else can you expect LOL. I also Ball pointed the ends like the original Adjusting bolts.

With the 10.9 grade bolt’s I am confident that I will not risk snapping them as I felt I might if I used an 8.8 grade bolt.

I also had My Aftermarket leafs Packs adjusted and an extra leaf added, the X now sports about a 2¾ Inch lift at the back and a 2¼-inch lift at the front Just from the Springs, Up from the 40mm lift all-round that I had installed originally

It’s Currently only riding on 30’s, but am putting on a Set of LT31*10.5R15 Cooper ST’s on at the end of the month that I am getting Cheep of a friend. I would go 32’s but don’t what to do any trimming of guards and it would also be advisable to fit some wider rims, that and I am getting 5, 31’s for the price of 2 so that’s a good deal in my book’s.

I will try and post some photos at the end of July for anyone who is interested when I have it all done. Never posted Photos before so I might need some guidance when the time comes LOL.

Next on the Hit List, is to Repack the Trac-Loc LSD and make it one seriously tight **** LSD. LOL

Cheers all.

Back