• Register Today It's free!

Why does my OD light blink??

Fishahollik

Reaction score
City, State
South Range WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
When driving for about 10-15 miles my OD light begins to blink. What gives?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

usually means a fault with the transmission...get a code scanner on it asap...you can catch a tranny failure early so drive as minimal as possible....change fluid/filter.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT!
Flashing OD light = trans is in default mode = high line pressure = get the codes read ASAP.
You could kill it driving it like this when it could be something really simple and cheap

if its flashing it means there is an electrical issue, or your tranny is on its way to being fubared.... if you catch it early enough and stop driving it, it might be saveable, but it needs to be determined why its acting like that, the od light flashing indicates some problem

get it checked FAST i ignored mine and i had to have hte trany rebuilt.....not for the cool kids

There are lots of horror stories about people getting a new trans because the OD light was flashing, only to have the OD light come back on. Make sure you find someone that knows Ford transmissions, not just somebody (like AAMCO) that want to do a R&R on the trans.

Same problem here and I just had my tranny rebuilt, but it really did need it. The other day I noticed that my b/u lights weren't coming on, so checking the manual for the fuse I see it's the same fuse the affects the overdrive (#26). So check that first and go to the OD switch, it could be shorting. So far mine isn't constant, the b/u lights work when they want and the OD light stays off at times, but I'll be at the tranny shop Saturday morning.

Hunh? Ummmmm yeaaaah...okaaaaaay, that's what I was thinking. Yeah, the DRT thingy. I'm slow today. What's that? I used to know, I'm sure I did...at some point.
I know these letters from somewhere.

Digital transmission range sensor. It is located on the driver's side of the transmission. That part controls the back up lights, and tells the computer which gear the transmission is placed into.

Thanks for the reminder...this is also why I'm thinking there's a short happening somewhere in the sensor linkage that's causing both of these events.

Back