• Register Today It's free!

4WD / 4WD LOW Lights Flashing

bharrell

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
My 4WD and 4WD LOW indicator lights started flashing yesterday. It seems to happen when I hit 35 mph but I'm not sure it's always that consistant.

What does this mean?

B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume that it is when your in 4wd auto...right? If it is, then it is likely that you have a problem with one of your hall effect speed sensors on your transfer case. There have been posts about taking them out and cleaning them which helps with the problem. I had a similar problem... very reproduceable. The difficulty that I found (and still haven't solved) is getting the sensors out of the case without damaging them. People said that they just "pop out" but I broke the plastic casing on one and gave up. Others say to try twisting as opposed to prying. Anyways, in my case, if I turn off 4w auto and turn off the vehicle, the flashing goes away til the next time I use 4w auto and go over 35 or so. If I stay under 35, 4w stays "engaged" and operational.... as someone said... who goes over 35 4 wheeling anyways...:)

Thanks for the reply

I thought it was a sensor issues. Thanks for the info.

B

bharrell said:
My 4WD and 4WD LOW indicator lights started flashing yesterday. It seems to happen when I hit 35 mph but I'm not sure it's always that consistant.

What does this mean?

B

My '00 explorer sport had the same flashing dash lights issue, (4wd high/low light flashed six times) as well as the electric windows quit working intermittantly then completely quit working. one of the threads suggested three relays found under the dash above the gas pedal ( remove the black plastic cover), replacement of the relays solved the flashing 4wd hi/low light and also fixed the windows....
ford part #'s
FOAB-14B192-AA (replaced one) and
F57B14B192-AA (replaced two)

THese parts are relatively common and can also be purchased at NAPA, total cost $38 , install time less than five minutes.

Thanks for the info. My windows also do not work from the local door. They only work from the driver's door.

transfer case motor & possable transfer case swap

I have a 98 explorer & both 4wd high & low flash, & the transfer case wont shift out of 4wd low. I read that there is a 4wd fuse, could this be the problem & where is the fuse located.

I dismounted the transfer case shift motor & had my wife move the shift lever switch with the vehicle running in park & I didn't have any movement from the shift motor.

Until I get a new shift motor I plan to disconnect the front driveline & set the transfer case manually into 4wd high.

There is two sensor's at the back of transfer case that I will probably replace also, but my main concern about them is that the wiring for them is also part of the wiring connection for the transfer case shift motor.

How does one separate the wiring?

Can a 2wd/4wd high/4wd low transfer case from a Ranger work with the current wiring in a explorer being as my explorer has the Auto/4wd high/4wd low?

Thanks in advance for the replies

The 4WD High and 4WD Low dash lights on my 98 Explorer XLT started flashing recently as well. I was NOT using the 4WD when it first occurred. It flashes exactly 6 times and then stops for about a minute and then repeats the flashing over and over.
I do not believe the 4WD is engaged and turning the 4WD switch on does not seem to change anything. If the 4WD Low was engaged, I would be able to tell.

Does anyone have a definitive fix for this problem? Is it the relay?

Back