410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet. You see, i have no idea why the hell BW put the sensor in there and theres no tone ring. Hey Jamie, take your sensor out and take a look, just for giggles. On this swap, there was no driveshaft modifications. Front d-shaft out of a 4.6 liter ford truck, and the rear from an expedition. The biggest problem i had with the AWD case during this swap was its reluctance to come off. You have to pull it off dead straight or it will fight you every step off the way( i know you know this Jamie). Oh consider this a subscribing for the tailshaft swap.

I going to watch this

my new 4406 case has a sensor in the tailhousing, however I am guessing it is not gear driven and I am guessing it is not the same signal I need to simply replace my AWD VSS signal, right? hehehe

I assume the other plug is for the dash 4x4 indicators?

I hope I can find linkage easy, I was thinking like you 97V8 the easiest way would just to get the F-150 or expedition driveshafts and use them, modify them to fit my diff's instead of messing with taking this case apart and trying to swap yokes? I hate to open a case with 7 miles on it!

410Fortune said:
my new 4406 case has a sensor in the tailhousing, however I am guessing it is not gear driven and I am guessing it is not the same signal I need to simply replace my AWD VSS signal, right? hehehe

I assume the other plug is for the dash 4x4 indicators?

I hope I can find linkage easy, I was thinking like you 97V8 the easiest way would just to get the F-150 or expedition driveshafts and use them, modify them to fit my diff's instead of messing with taking this case apart and trying to swap yokes? I hate to open a case with 7 miles on it!

Unfortunatly it doesnt send the same signal(hell i dont know why its there). As for d-shafts, Yeah, It is way cheaper. I scored my front and rear d-shaft dirt cheap. Low miles and in very good condition. Frankly its a lot easier to bolts the case in, slide the slip yoke on the shaft and bolt far end onto 8.8 haha. Same for the front. 4 bolts and 2 straps. I like the easier way. That other plug on the front is the dash indicator thingie. I'll be hooking that up in the winter.

did you have to modify the d shafts for length?
Did they bolt up to teh front and rear yokes?
I assume you got them from a gen III Explorer?

Sorry I have not gone back over your thread yet and taken notes..I will but I have not had the chance and this is all very exciting :) hahaha

Sweet if I can find the linkage & d shafts I may just drop this sucker in this weekend.

Oh and I am familiar with removing and bench pressing the t cases, believe me!!
right now I am saying one thing: "thank god for my bodylift!!!"

410Fortune said:
did you have to modify the d shafts for length?
Did they bolt up to teh front and rear yokes?
I assume you got them from a gen III Explorer?

Sorry I ahve not gone back over your thread yet and taken notes..I will but I have not had the chance and this is all very exciting :) hahaha

Sweet if I can find the linkage & d shafts I may just drop this sucker in this weekend.

Oh and I am familiar with removing and bench pressing the t cases, believe me!!
right now I am saying one thing: "thank god formy bodylift!!!"

1. no, they are a straight fit. The rear slips on and is halfway through its travel. I compressed the suspension and it still had splinage left, and ilet the suspesnion droop and i still had travel. The rear is from an expedition, not an explorer. The front is from a 1997-2003 ford f-150 4.6 liter engine. It bolts right up. All you need is that front 1330 hybrid u-joint for the d-shaft to bolt up into the front yoke.

Bodylift is god in this swap.

okay one last question:

How does your truck drive with no VSS signal currently? shifting affected?
Assume cruise control does not work?
any other issues?

Shifts fine, just as it did when i had a speedo. Cruise control went bye bye.

Only issue is steering is lighter, accelarates faster and better mpg's...im pretty sure those are good issues.

If you have any question dont hesitate to ask.

find front D shaft, $100
I believe he may also have the linkage I need :) but wills ee this afternoon

the rear MAY be a bit more tricky, finding a Expedition in the yard......

is your CEL on?

yes CEL is on. VSS sensor

[QUOTE='97 V8]yes CEL is on. VSS sensor[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute

FYI I also plan to eventually convert my front IFS to the vacuum disconnect style found on 95-01 Explorer V6 4x4's :)

410Fortune said:
FYI I also plan to eventually convert my front IFS to the vacuum disconnect style found on 95-01 Explorer V6 4x4's :)

You know i always here that but what is it really?

Wasn't that only on 95-96 Explorers?

POSSIBLY only one I have seen up close was a 95 truck

so the 97+ 4x4's just always spin the CV's, diff, and front d shaft or what?

OH wait the 97+ in 2wd is actually control trac 4x4 isnt it! I see....
For true 2wd I would sure like to be able to disco that sucker.

410Fortune said:
POSSIBLY only one I have seen up close was a 95 truck

so the 97+ 4x4's just always spin the axleshafts, diff, and front d shaft or what?

yeah, they spin all the time. Im thinking that vacum disconnect is like lockouts? Not engaged, the front shaft doesnt turn, when engaged it does?

it unlocks the passenger side axleshaft from the diff, so even though the cv turns it will not spin the ring and pinion of front d shaft.
its like locking the d side hub only on your truck with the t case in 2wd, of course this is with an open diff

WANTED:
Ford F-150 97-03
4x4 transfer case shifting linkage and shifter
front driveshaft complete

Ford Expedition
front and rear driveshaft complete

Looky looky:
http://www.expeditionforum.com

I have locatd a front d shaft, but I will wait until I can get all teh parts from 1 place hopefully or have located all 3

:p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had to buy my linkage. Damn JY's, why the hell do they throw em away.

Back