410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 96 AWD Ex - goes low range

I picked up my transfer case last night.
Two t cases were included in the deal, one is strictly for parts.

The t case I will be using in my 96 5.0L AWD explorer is a 2001 F-150 BW 4406 manual shift :) this makes me very happy. I will no longer have full time AWD, instead I will have 2wd, 4hi and 4 low, increased RWHP, better MPG, and less tire wear. Also a more capable truck off road for light wheeling (getting to the fishing spot, colorado winters, etc)

I have ALOT of research to do before I get started collecting more parts and modifying the t case so it can be installed...I am just beggining this conversion.
Once I get a better picture of everything that is needed I can post more.

I know I need to get the manual shifter linkage and driveshafts/driveshaft parts at the very least.

I will have to figure out how to make a speed sensor talk to my 96 computer from this case, I will have to make this sucker fit under my truck, and I will have to modify some driveshafts to work or the T case itself before I can bolt it in.

For now the pictures:

Mid 80-90's full size bronco T case (possibly use the driveshaft yokes, sensors, tailhousing, etc we will see):
tcase1.jpg

The FSB t case tag:
tcase2.jpg

And now the new baby, 2001 BW 4406 manual shift:
tcase3.jpg

Oh my 4406 T case has 7 miles on it hahahaha and I bought it for likely less then Ford would pay BW for this case!! Shhhhh....dont tell anyone.

Anyone want to buy a 96 AWD t case, work perfect, approx 85K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah thats what I mean that thread is perfect, I plan to add to it, but I dont want to fill it up with all this BS from here, just when I am done

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Not sure how I missed the pic the first time, either my head is swimming with too much shifter/tcase/tailhousing info or I didnt wait long enough for it to load........

97 Tailhousing, sensor and possibly drive gear located :)
I also have a back up plan, Boomin is willing to swap me if I am that desperate!! Thanks boomin!! All happened this AM....

I am calling Ford to look up the shifter linkage part numbers and locate..... Then all I need is a U joint and I will take my seats, center console and carpet out as soon as I have everything in my hot little hands...

Now to calcualte which speedo gear I need for 33's and 3.73 I think its 21 tooth....

I couldnt be bothered to pull the seats...i just cut the carpet.

I have had the seats, center console and carpet in and out so many times its no biggie anymore

I just ordered my shift lever and the t case linkage from Ford :)

I need U joint and a shift knob, should be golden...

$35 for the shift lever, $25 for the shift linkage, so no not too bad.

I ordered a tailhousing, speed sensor and drive gear from a very helpful junk yard guy online, this guy is a god send, he worked with me to confirm it was the correct part I need, it will be shipping tomorrow :) hehehehehehe

Kevin Smith
ksmith@waltandverns.com
888-829-1263
Walt & Vern's Inc
28520 SR 410 E
Buckley WA 98321
www.waltandverns.com

The parts I am getting are from a 97 Expedition E shift 4406 case, the case was cracked.

96 AWD T case for sale, 85K miles, works like new with regular fluid changes, I will put it in the classifieds once the conversion is done.....next week?
YEAH!!!

Looky looky what arrived today!!!

tailhousing.jpg

I can now do the conversion, tonight I will attempt to install these suckers on my t case, right now I am headed to Ford to pick up my shifter rod and linkage.....hell yes!

Yay. Lets see how this bad boy goes on.

final two parts, linkage and shift arm from Ford, $31
linkage.jpg

perfectly:

To remove the tail housing you have to remove the signal wire from its plug, so it will fit through the hole:

tcwire1.jpg

the red plastic keeper is pulled out then the lock tab for the wire pin is held up, wire is pulled out, tailhousing can be removed.

tcwire2.jpg

the 97 model year tailhousing fits with the speedo hole directly over the stator drive gear (2001 style sensor). This is GREAT news, it is obvious now the plastic speedo drive gear fits in the exact same spot on the output shaft:

tctailfit.jpg

a hack saw and 15 minutes later the stator ring gear is off the output shaft (press fit). Both gears have the same innner diameter.
You can see how the plastic gear is held in place on the output shaft from the factory (notch likely goes over a pit machined into the output shaft then a check ball is inserted to keep it in place, would be my best guess):

tcdrivegears.jpg

output shaft sans stator gear:

tcringcut.jpg

This is where the plastic speedo drive gear will sit:

tcspeeddrive.jpg

I just have to figure out how to keep it in place and from spinning on the output shaft (check ball like factory?)

The new 97 model year tailhousing sitting in place, alignment = perfect!:

tcalign.jpg

Conversion will take place this weekend.

By the time my warranty runs out someones going to have this perfected! I'd love to do this, but I love my AWD just the same.

AWD is great for the street
sucks for power and MPG

All I need to figure out is how to keep the gear in place, I hae a few ideas but I would sure like to see the factory setup BEFORE I remove my AWD case....

410Fortune said:
AWD is great for the street
sucks for power and MPG

All I need to figure out is how to keep the gear in place, I hae a few ideas but I would sure like to see the factory setup BEFORE I remove my AWD case....

Could you thread a small setscrew in, use it as a pin?

there are so many ways to make it work, heck I think even some friction tape wrapped on the shaft would make a tight enough fit, but I want to see the factory setup first...
the gear itself is soft plastic, it has a groove in it which leads me to believe the output shaft also has a groove or pit in it, slide the gear on, install the check ball or key or whatever, and its done.

Back