Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

Oil Consumption,2006 Ranger

Old 09-20-2006, 04:42 AM   #1
AndyF
Ontario,Canada
Ranger 2006

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Oil Consumption,2006 Ranger

I use 5W20 regular in my 3 litre engine(automatic) as recommended in the manual.

I do my own lite maintenance and I changed the oil at 5000 kms. I've got 10000 kms on it now and it's down a litre. The Ford guy couldn't explain the oil consumption but was persistant that I stay with this, I call, "sewing machine oil".

I think the truck is screaming for 30 weight, as I do a lot of highway, but I never overload and I'm easy on driving, and drive at 60 MPH. I never accelarate quickly, and I allow the tranny to shift without pulling to hard. Basically I baby the truck as I'm not a trader and need to get max life out of it.

Should I go up to 5W30, or maybe switch to synthetic? What happens to the warranty with the weight change?

Thanks
AndyF is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Elite Explorer Special Offer!! -- Join between Nov 28 - Dec 5, 2014 and get two years for the price of one. That's right just $20 for a two yearElite Explorer membership. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
ExplorerDMB
Moderator/Technician
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2004 Acura TL

Vehicle Specs

Well...if you change to 5w30 and something happens to that motor, Ford will EASILY void that warranty. My Explorer calls for 5w-30 - You should be able to use it just fine. Make sure it's nothing small like not tightening the drain plug tight enough or oil filter and it allows to leak slowly. Or maybe your drain plug is leaking because of a bad gasket on it - just look for leaks too.

-Drew

Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
JohnnyO
Moderator Emeritus
Pittsburgh, PA

'08 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
5w-30 will probably void the warranty, but I seriously doubt it will actually hurt anything. Because I'm one of those nutty people who sends their old oil to a lab for testing, I can tell you that 5w-20 after 5000 miles in my wife's 3.0 Taurus came back perfectly fine and the wear metals were all very low. In fact the results were pretty much identical with Mobil 1 and the Motorcraft blend that costs half as much.
If it would make you feel better, drop $20 per at Blackstone for UOA's on the 20 and 30 both and see what they tell you.
www.blackstone-labs.com
Anything else is just speculation.

"It is not the multitude of ale-houses that occasions a general disposition to drunkenness among the common people; but that disposition arising from other causes necessarily gives employment to a multitude of ale-houses." -- Adam Smith, 1776
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For the record, Ford has it in writing that anything less than 1 quart every 900 miles is just fine. (I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the spec anyways).

Check it often and top it off as necessary.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
rookieshooter
Moderator Emeritus
Martinsburg WV

84 BII "Li'l Samson"

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bet you have a small leak somewhere. Put some newspaper under the truck when you park it for the night. Check next day.

Petersen's 4Wheel mag ROTM. Voted 2008 Bronco II of Year
rookieshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
hunterdan
Fairless Hills, Pa
2010 Chevy Silverado

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Stick with the 5W-20 if its what the motor calls for. Yes the oil is thinner, but it is what is required to get to where it needs to be. 5W-20 is thick enough to support the loads the engine is placing on it. All bearings that are under oil pressure ride on a film of oil, if that film is too thick, it will not flow where it should, if its too thin, the film will not be able to support the load. Theres a lot involved for the engineers to determine proper oil. While the 30 wt may work, your motor is still new and tolerances are still tight and I wouldn't chance it. Look at all the new imports, most of them are running the same oil and get well over 100,000 miles out of the motors with no problems. Stick with the recommended oil, its recommended for a reason.

Dan

Gone: 1998 Ford Explorer Sport, lifted with all the cool stuff
hunterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #7
AndyF
Ontario,Canada
Ranger 2006

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdan
Stick with the 5W-20 if its what the motor calls for. Yes the oil is thinner, but it is what is required to get to where it needs to be. 5W-20 is thick enough to support the loads the engine is placing on it. All bearings that are under oil pressure ride on a film of oil, if that film is too thick, it will not flow where it should, if its too thin, the film will not be able to support the load. Theres a lot involved for the engineers to determine proper oil. While the 30 wt may work, your motor is still new and tolerances are still tight and I wouldn't chance it. Look at all the new imports, most of them are running the same oil and get well over 100,000 miles out of the motors with no problems. Stick with the recommended oil, its recommended for a reason.

Dan

Thanks everyone for the tips.!!!!

The wife's 05 Echo calls for 5W30 every 5000 miles(8000KMs), can't figure it. The big six would seem like a heavier worker than the 4 banger.

I agree with the tolerances and such, just doesn't seem right.

Andy
AndyF is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page