JoshC's SAS #2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JoshC's SAS #2

I guess i'll follow the trend like so many others on here. D44, 9" full width. I picked these axles up late last year or early this year i don't remember and they've been in the garage taking up space. I've been gathering parts for a little while too.

So far i've got:
-Yukon 5.13's
-Quick Loc locker for the D44
-Full steel spool for the 9"
-Radius arms drilled and tapped to fit the lower ranger coil bucket so i can keep my existing coils
-New ubolts for the leafs

I think that's about all i've got. The 9" third member is done, we regearded it a couple of weeks ago. We started on the 44 and quickly noticed that the idiot at the local off road shop, which is no longer in business, sold me a low pinion gear set :mad: So now i'm stuck with this gear i can't even use :fire:

Here's what i got done last night and today

P1010791.jpg

I'm head up to the shop tonight to swap my tires over to my new rims. I think i may pick up a set of new radius arms, maybe something like the james duff arms like these

5350.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice...but only two pics :p. Anyways good luck on the swap.

Sweet... I was wondering if you had started the swap yet.

What are you doing with your old axles?

Selling them. I'm actually taking with a guy right now in NJ who's buddy want's the 8.8 for his Jeep for a good price for me :D The D30, i don't know, i'd probably make more parting it, but i'd sale it whole if someone wanted it.

Yeah, only two pics, but there will be more to come! How do you like the little wheels up front, looks kind of funny.

I sold the wheels i had on back in April to a guy at work and he wasn't in any hurry to get them until this week, so that's really the only reason i started the swap. I did get my tires mounted on my new rims tonight. I tried to use our machine but the it like to never got the bead busted and then i couldn't even get the tire to come off the rim, so i ended taking them to a tire shop. Oh well, that's what i get for trying to save a few bucks :rolleyes:

For those of you that have used the 9", did you weld your perches at angle as the stock perches that were use for the fullsize? I've got mine tacked on there and i was going to bolt it up and try the drive shaft to see what kind of an angle i have.

By the way Mark, how is the bumper holding up, got an recent pics of it?

JoshC said:
For those of you that have used the 9", did you weld your perches at angle as the stock perches that were use for the fullsize? I've got mine tacked on there and i was going to bolt it up and try the drive shaft to see what kind of an angle i have.
I think thats the best idea. I recently made a fubar on the rear axle and had to make a wedge in order to get the proper angle :confused:

You have to put vehicle weight on the axle btw in order to get the proper angle. Because leaf springs never stay level when they travel. The pinion is facing "up" a little bit when its at full droop and "down" a little at compression. So you want to take measurements at ride height.

Front tires are nice, looked like a $&%#ed up sand buggy when I first saw it.

Bumper is great. Only been wheeling once this summer, but its great. I drilled some holes in the swing stops and stick retainer pins in them to hold the swings open, plus one in the center stop so the can swing stays shut when the latch is open. Still need to fab up a plate holder... i'm lazy slow with some things.

What size/type tires are you gonna run? Going to stay with the same amount of lift?

I'm just going to run my 35s until i can get something else.

I was hoping to work on it today but i had to go out of town for work :( I'll be back late tomorrow and who knows when i'll get to it. But i do hope to at least get the 9" totally done this weekend including the rear drive shaft so i can pull it out of the drive way.

Got the perches welded on last night.

P1010794.jpg

My brother came over to help me put the wheels on it and get it up under the truck. Everything was going fine until i realized as i was putting the Ubolts on that i forgot the cut off the stock shock bracket and it's right in the way of the inside Ubolt, and of course i'm out of oxygen for my torch, so i've gotta get that cut off today.

Today i've got to get it to where i can at least move it out of the drive way and park it on the street. I've got a do a welding job on a safe for the company my buddy works for and i need to get that in the garage today too.

Here is what i've got right now. Still on stands until i get those brackets cut off later. Good news, just got a call from my buddy at the welding shop and he can get me some O2 today!

P1010795.jpg

Why are you doing this? The 44 doesn't have much considerable strength versus the Dana 30- same ujoints- which is the weakest link imho. If you are breaking it your money would be better spent upgrading the D30. Shafts, truss, etc.

The 9" is very debatable whether it has any stength over your 31 spline 8.8 and your 8.8 has disks.

I just don't understand. Cory built you some sweet suspension under the front, why would you change it?

Just for FW? Get some spacers or change rims. My $.02

Ok I have to ask, What gears are in the D30 and how much?

Congrats on going full width. You'll love it ;) :thumbsup:

Kirby N. said:
Why are you doing this? The 44 doesn't have much considerable strength versus the Dana 30- same ujoints- which is the weakest link imho. If you are breaking it your money would be better spent upgrading the D30. Shafts, truss, etc.

The 9" is very debatable whether it has any stength over your 31 spline 8.8 and your 8.8 has disks.

I just don't understand. Cory built you some sweet suspension under the front, why would you change it?

theres other things to an axle then just u joints, stronger housing, bearings, brakes, ring and pinion and jsut a couple reasons to go to a 44 Dont forget that highsteer is an option now. the 9" has a much stronger gear set design and it is SF which is a plus.

Kirby N. said:

You do bring up some good points Kirby. I'd have to say my main two reasons are full width and hubs. It's hard to make a sharp turn in 2wd with out the locker engaging in the front. I've got no problems with the D30 really, i have busted 1 outter shaft and one ujoint at seperate times.

Cory did do a pretty good job at building the suspension, but he built my links to short and it's limiting my flex. My lower arms don't even come close to being as long as they needed to be.

do you have the actual links lengths? im interested in what they were.

I'll get that for you here in a little while. For some reason i wasn't getting emails for thread updates??

Anyways. Got the 9" on and on it's own feet again. Went shopping today. It helps having a cousin for a parts store manager cause i got about 40% off this stuff :D

P1010807.gif

Got just about everything i need for the D44. Now if i could just get a set of gears to put in i could start building it.

I took my drive shaft out today and it took it to Advance Auto with me and amazingly enough a 9" ujoint fit perfectly, so i was able to swap it out and then i got some ujoint straps and got the driveshaft put back in and it's a perfect length, lucky me.

Right now i'm trying to get some caliper brackets for the 9" and then once i get those i'm going to get that done and in the mean time try to find gears to get in the 44.

Anyone had anyluck with the Brute Force ujoints?? I got a couple today for the 44, they have a lifetime warrenty.

I've run BruteForce u-joints in my D44 since I did my SAS. So far so good with them. Next time I'll spend the extra few $$ for some Spicer 760x joints though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could, but since i got such a good price on this stuff and i needed to get it all now since he won't be there much longer, so i got what i could.

Back