Problem with High/Low 4X4 Indicator Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with High/Low 4X4 Indicator Light

Linwood Payne

Reaction score
City, State
Graham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hello,

I own a 98 Ford Explorer XLT 4 wheel drive. This morning the High range and Low range 4X4 indicator lights in the dash panel started flashing on and off simultaneously for approximately 6 seconds. Then off continuously for maybe 10 minutes. Repeating on and off during my drive into work.

Could this be a sensor in the drive train or should this be something to have checked at a Ford Dealer? Anyone have information on this particular problem?

Thank You
Linwood Paynelwpayne3@yahoo.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Linwood Payne said:
Could this be a sensor in the drive train or should this be something to have checked at a Ford Dealer? Anyone have information on this particular problem?

Both. It's likely a wheel speed sensor gone awry, and that's why it's flashing. The only way to know for sure is to have the GEM trouble codes scanned by the dealership (or someone with a scanner that can identify the GEM codes... most small shops cannot, but any Ford dealer can)

The most common cause of das blinkenlights is a bad speed sensor on the rear axle, but there's no guarantees without the code. You could take a shot in the dark and pay the $13 for the part, and replace it yourself, only to find the lights are still blinking. By the same token, you could take it to the dealer and pay the $95 diagnostic fee (or whatever the hell they charge nowadays) only to find out it's the $13 sensor. It's a craps-shoot without the codes....

Sorry I can't be more help.

-Joe

Mine did the same thing. Blinking high and low 4X4. 4 wheel drive didn't work either. I simply removed the battery connector for 15 minutes to reset the computer. Hooked it back up and everything went back to normal. 4X4 high and low workin perfectly. Hope this works for you. :)

You could check with the Local Auto Parts stores and see if they can do a Scanning of Your Codes. Many Parts stores will do this for free. Some will even let you borrow the scanner for free. Try that first.

-Tim

Linwood Payne said:
Hello,
Thank You
Linwood Paynelwpayne3@yahoo.com

timleedude said:
You could check with the Local Auto Parts stores and see if they can do a Scanning of Your Codes. Many Parts stores will do this for free. Some will even let you borrow the scanner for free. Try that first.

-Tim

No scanner you can buy at the local auto parts store (that I'm aware of) will be able to scan the GEM trouble codes. Those are designed to scan the PCM codes. GEM codes require a completely different (and significantly more expensive) setup.

Sorry, but thanks for playing!

-Joe

GIJOECAM,
I don't quite understand what GEM vs PCM codes are.. But the scanner at CheckerAuto reads Speed Sensor Error Codes, Wheel Codes, etc. It sells for $100. I checked out the manual for it. Just curious.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?mfrcode=EQU&mfrpartnumber=3100C

-Tim

gijoecam said:
No scanner you can buy at the local auto parts store (that I'm aware of) will be able to scan the GEM trouble codes. Those are designed to scan the PCM codes. GEM codes require a completely different (and significantly more expensive) setup.

Sorry, but thanks for playing!

-Joe

The GEM is the Generic Electronic Module. It controls just about everything else electronic except for the Powertrain Control Module, the Instrument Cluster, and the ABS system. Anything related to the 4wd system (switching, front axle engagement, range selection, etc) is routed through the GEM, not the PCM. Your typical code scanners from any of those places will only be able to read the diagnostic trouble codes stored on the PCM. Those have to do with the engine and emissions, not the 4wd system. As I mentioned above, if it's relatively inexpensive (i.e. $100 or so) odds are it's won't be able to read the codes you need.

-Joe

flashing 4-4low and 4-4high

I had the same problem but it was due to broken fuse. One of the fuse in engine compartment got blown (actually I did something with my instalation) and the bulbs flashed exactly like you described. I changed the fuse and there is everything OK.

Recently I had the same problem with the blinking 4x4 lights. I also noticed my rear defrost wasn't working, nor were my backup lights. A quick check of the fuse panel (left side of dash just inside driver's door) proved fruitful as apparantly when I had recently been checking for a blown radio fuse I had inadvertantly left one out of a crucial spot. Put the 15amp fuse back into it's correct location, defrost, backup lights and 4x4 now work just fine.

Take a second, check to see if your rear defrost is working, if not, replace that fuse. Only takes a second to see and costs almost nothing to replace should you have the same problem. It's not ALWAYS the simplest that solves the problem but quite often we tend to overlook them because they seem TOO SIMPLE.

Hope it helps a little.

Matt

Back