Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

98 Explorer Eddie Bauer, Sub Woofer

Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
raleigho
Houston Texas
98 Eddie Bauer 2wd

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
98 Explorer Eddie Bauer, Sub Woofer

How do you remove a factory subwoofer from the cargo compartment. I've taken off the cover/grill, all of the screws and the speaker acts like it it firmly attached at the back, while encased in a plastic resonator box. I'm frustrated, anyone had to remove theirs? Please tell me I don't have to remove the entire rt. rear panel......................................I always break those little plastic screw covers. Can anyone help?
raleigho is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigho
How do you remove a factory subwoofer from the cargo compartment. I've taken off the cover/grill, all of the screws and the speaker acts like it it firmly attached at the back, while encased in a plastic resonator box. I'm frustrated, anyone had to remove theirs? Please tell me I don't have to remove the entire rt. rear panel......................................I always break those little plastic screw covers. Can anyone help?
I removed the sub in my '99 Eddie a few months ago. Look carefully. There is a lot of hardware holding that thing in and a lot of it is sort of hidden. Be patient, and with the right tools you'll have it out in no time (assuming it's like mine). I had one last fastener to remove and I couldn't find it right away. Drove me nuts. Was at a tricky angle too. Felt good to get that one off.

Oh yeah, the panel removal is necessary or at least most of it. Sub is just too big and you're likely to trash the panel to get it out. Get a panel popper tool. Mine cost about $7 for a quality one. Probably the best tool I have and a MUST when you're doing your own system. A definite must to do simple maintenance like replacing rear wiper motor which ALWAYS die.

Good luck.

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I didnt even waste my time to read that, nor will I, however I read some of it.
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Craigslist Scams for Dummies, Don't Be a Wannabe.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
TheVarmit
Panama City, Florida
2001 Limited & 1996 XLT

Vehicle Specs

raleigho...I have the same problem with my 2001 Limited. I removed the front grill then all the screw holding the woofer in place but it still wouldn't come out. I came here to the forums and found out there's a screw right in the middle of the magnet on the back of the speaker. Same thread said I would have to remove all the panels to get to the screw. I haven't had the chance to proceed any farther than removing the grill and screws.

Leave it up to Ford to put a friggin screw right where you can't get to it and where it's not needed.

Also, I've found out its better to replace the woofer with a factory one from Ford rather than try and find an equal....why, I don't know.
TheVarmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVarmit
Also, I've found out its better to replace the woofer with a factory one from Ford rather than try and find an equal....why, I don't know.
DISAGREE. I pulled mine right out, stuck a stealth box in there with a 10" aftermarket sub powered from amps of my choosing. WAAAAY better than stock.

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I didnt even waste my time to read that, nor will I, however I read some of it.
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Craigslist Scams for Dummies, Don't Be a Wannabe.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
JWood
Houston, Texas
'93 XLT 2WD 2002 XLS 2WD

Vehicle Specs

I just recieved a replacement woofer from

a 99 EB today that I bought on Ebay for $50. I can see that threaded area in the center of the magnet on the back. Is there an entire assembly that comes out in order to remove the original?

Does anyone have any photos of this process?

1999 4.0 SOHC Eddie Bauer 83K miles
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO tires
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
DrumKat
Bloomfield, NJ
2007 Escape Limited

Vehicle Specs

I recently pulled the Ford/JBL subwoofer out of my 94 Sport. Yes, the interior panel must be removed. The speaker box / amplifier units fill the entire cavity.
DrumKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
JWood
Houston, Texas
'93 XLT 2WD 2002 XLS 2WD

Vehicle Specs

That is very disappointing -

I removed one from my 93 Explorer and it was simple to remove - just the speaker grill then unscrew 4 mounting screws around the speaker and that was all there was to it

1999 4.0 SOHC Eddie Bauer 83K miles
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO tires
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
raleigho
Houston Texas
98 Eddie Bauer 2wd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Did the Deed

Thanks to you all for your input. Here's what was required on my E.B. Had to remove the entire side panel, to remove the subwoofer box, to unscrew the subwoofer center bolt. Went to Fry's, and bought a Polk 8" Subwoofer, installed it in the black box (had to cut a 4" circle for the magnet). Then reinstalled everything. Man does it sound good! better than the original. I also did the repair on the radio display. It lasted about two weeks. I went ahead and purchased the new circuit board, installed it, and now it's like I've got a new system.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #9
explorider08
Dover, NH
2002XLT

Vehicle Specs

my stock sub stopped working i'm not getting anypower to the speaker... i threw in a couple 12" subs but i want the stock one to work too. anyone know whats wrong?
explorider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #10
masospaghetti
Charlotte, NC
2000 Sport, 5M OHV RWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
For those of us that didn't have the sub from the factory, is it just a bolt-on? Will the wiring be there?
masospaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
raleigho
Houston Texas
98 Eddie Bauer 2wd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
The factory subwoofer on my EB, was part of the Mach radio package. There is an amplifier included with this also. If your's didn't come with a subwoofer, you should be able to do the aftermarket subwoofer/amplifier thing. There are guys on this forum that can help you with your selections and installation.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page