98 Explorer Eddie Bauer, Sub Woofer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Eddie Bauer, Sub Woofer

raleigho

Reaction score
City, State
Houston Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer 2wd
How do you remove a factory subwoofer from the cargo compartment. I've taken off the cover/grill, all of the screws and the speaker acts like it it firmly attached at the back, while encased in a plastic resonator box. I'm frustrated, anyone had to remove theirs? Please tell me I don't have to remove the entire rt. rear panel......................................I always break those little plastic screw covers. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

raleigho said:
How do you remove a factory subwoofer from the cargo compartment. I've taken off the cover/grill, all of the screws and the speaker acts like it it firmly attached at the back, while encased in a plastic resonator box. I'm frustrated, anyone had to remove theirs? Please tell me I don't have to remove the entire rt. rear panel......................................I always break those little plastic screw covers. Can anyone help?

I removed the sub in my '99 Eddie a few months ago. Look carefully. There is a lot of hardware holding that thing in and a lot of it is sort of hidden. Be patient, and with the right tools you'll have it out in no time (assuming it's like mine). I had one last fastener to remove and I couldn't find it right away. Drove me nuts. Was at a tricky angle too. Felt good to get that one off. :D

Oh yeah, the panel removal is necessary or at least most of it. Sub is just too big and you're likely to trash the panel to get it out. Get a panel popper tool. Mine cost about $7 for a quality one. Probably the best tool I have and a MUST when you're doing your own system. A definite must to do simple maintenance like replacing rear wiper motor which ALWAYS die. :thumbdwn:

Good luck.

raleigho...I have the same problem with my 2001 Limited. I removed the front grill then all the screw holding the woofer in place but it still wouldn't come out. I came here to the forums and found out there's a screw right in the middle of the magnet on the back of the speaker. Same thread said I would have to remove all the panels to get to the screw. I haven't had the chance to proceed any farther than removing the grill and screws.

Leave it up to Ford to put a friggin screw right where you can't get to it and where it's not needed.

Also, I've found out its better to replace the woofer with a factory one from Ford rather than try and find an equal....why, I don't know.

TheVarmit said:
Also, I've found out its better to replace the woofer with a factory one from Ford rather than try and find an equal....why, I don't know.

DISAGREE. I pulled mine right out, stuck a stealth box in there with a 10" aftermarket sub powered from amps of my choosing. WAAAAY better than stock.

I just recieved a replacement woofer from

a 99 EB today that I bought on Ebay for $50. I can see that threaded area in the center of the magnet on the back. Is there an entire assembly that comes out in order to remove the original?

Does anyone have any photos of this process?

I recently pulled the Ford/JBL subwoofer out of my 94 Sport. Yes, the interior panel must be removed. The speaker box / amplifier units fill the entire cavity.

That is very disappointing -

I removed one from my 93 Explorer and it was simple to remove - just the speaker grill then unscrew 4 mounting screws around the speaker and that was all there was to it

Did the Deed

Thanks to you all for your input. Here's what was required on my E.B. Had to remove the entire side panel, to remove the subwoofer box, to unscrew the subwoofer center bolt. Went to Fry's, and bought a Polk 8" Subwoofer, installed it in the black box (had to cut a 4" circle for the magnet). Then reinstalled everything. Man does it sound good! better than the original. I also did the repair on the radio display. It lasted about two weeks. I went ahead and purchased the new circuit board, installed it, and now it's like I've got a new system.

my stock sub stopped working i'm not getting anypower to the speaker... i threw in a couple 12" subs but i want the stock one to work too. anyone know whats wrong?

For those of us that didn't have the sub from the factory, is it just a bolt-on? Will the wiring be there?

The factory subwoofer on my EB, was part of the Mach radio package. There is an amplifier included with this also. If your's didn't come with a subwoofer, you should be able to do the aftermarket subwoofer/amplifier thing. There are guys on this forum that can help you with your selections and installation.

Back