Explorer 2001 OD Light start blinking after Little Drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2001 OD Light start blinking after Little Drive

viral_bittu

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford 2001 Explorer XLS
Hello,

I have ford Explorer 2001 and in normal drive in auto mode after 1o minutes of drive my OD Lights start Blinking.
Is there anyone can help me ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. Hopefully one of the crew will have an answer for you. If you haven't tried yet, try using our search engine for your problem.

That light indicates the computer has detected something out of the ordinary. The computer system stores a "trouble code" when this happens. What you need to do is to get the computer codes read, and bring back the code number that is retrieved. We can better assist you with that info.

Welcome to the site. We are here to help.

If you need more explaination let us know.

also DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT WITH A FLASHING OD LIGHT very important, could go from a $50 fix it ticket to a $2500 fix it ticket real fast

410 is correct. When it's flashing, you should notice that the trans is shifting a bit harder. Not good for the trans.

Car runs fine and there is no shifting prob . just flashing OD light I found no prob in my car . but when I went to the dealer to decode the prob he gave me:

"PERFORMED AN IDS TEST AND FOUND A CODE P0741.ROAD TEST WITH IDS AND RECORD MONITOR. TORQUE CONVERTER CLUCH WILL NOT FULLY LOCK UP.INTERNAL SLIP NEEDS TO COME OUT TO INSPECT. AVERAGE OVERHAUL FOR THIS CONCERN IS $1635.38 IN LBR $1469.04"

I am really worried about the money they were asking to spend , I would rather sell my car .

Pls help me out to avoid furthure problem.

Thanks

The code P0741 is the computer detecting that there appers to be some slippage in the torque convertor when it should be locked up. In a lot of the cases, this is a bad sign that the TC is failing.... but not all!

The fact you have no other symptoms makes diagnosing it a little more difficult.

A top rate shop would do a few things before committing you to a rebuild. (and if they do these things and it still means a rebuild expect to pay for their efforts in trying to save you $$).

First they would make sure the inputs to the computer from the ECT and TSS were up to par.

They would explain that there is SOME possibiolity that the separator plate gasket s in the VB were leaking, and at least try retorquing the valve body... They would explain that a leaking O ring on the torque convertor clutch solenoid could do this, and install a new one to try.

Failing this, NOW you are in rebuild country.

Back