Pilot Bearing Installation

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
I need help re-installing the pilot bearing into the flywheel. Both the Haynes manual and the shop-CD seem to show a bearing that looks different. Plus they say you need a slide hammer to remove the bearing, when you can easily punch it out.

The biggest problem is, when I took the flywheel to the machine shop after removing just the pilot bearing itself, apparantly there was an additional cylindrical spacer in there too that the machine shop took out for me. However, the spacer seems to have a slightly different front and rear.

Which end goes which way?

As far as the pilot bearing goes, which end goes closer to the trans-input-shaft? The needles in the pilot bearing are against the edge on one end of the bearing while about a 0.5-1cm away from the other edge of the bearing.

Also, the pilot bearing seems shorter than the spacer it goes in. I saw on another thread that someone pushed the bearing in too far. Is the bearing suppose to be in the middle of the spacer, or flush with one side, and which side?

Thanks.

Mine was pretty much symetrical (didnt matter which direction it was installed), and i know the SOHC and OHV clutch/pilot bearing can't be too much different! Make it closer to the input shaft.

dude, i may be completely wrong, but i would just go with it. hammer that sucker in there and go. Reason i say this is because that bearing isnt load bearing, it mearly keeps the shaft in place. HELL! i went maybe 25K+ miles with mine in about as good as shape as a cheese grader, chewed up the input shaft by maybe .0001" (yes ten-thousandths), replaced it with a new bearing and i cant tell the difference.

LUK says not to grease it, too.

...waiting for someone with actual intellegence to reply...

they def aren't perfectly symetrical, but close enough. the spacer has microscopic differences, and i have dents on my old bearing that might help remind me which way it went.

everything else is telling me to grease the bearing (very little though). why not grease it?

I like your answer. I was thinking that way too, just wanted to double check.

luk,s says not to grease the carrier bearing,not the pilot bearing,as far as the bearing i think the part with the space should gop to the clutch side as a grease seal,for the clutch from the bearing

Back