Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

Pinging under acceloration/load

Old 01-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
dmac0923
Yorktown
2002 ranger xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Pinging under acceloration/load

my 02 4door ranger XLT 4.0L auto 4x4 with 140,000 miles.

my motor is pinging (classic rattling spoons noise) when the car is under load such as
going up a gradual hill

or when accelorating in a low gear before the tranny can shift.

once the transmission shifts the pinging goes away.

im running recommended 87 octane gas. i havent tried using 89 or 91 because with the price of gas in lower NY that would be a very expensive experiment.

do you think maybe the engine Knock sensor is bad?

the check engine light isnt on
dmac0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
KRPII
Rochester N.Y.
2001 Ranger Edge

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same issue

I have the same issue in my '01. After I cleaned the throttle body it went away fo a bit but then came back. It was only about two tanks until the noise returned. I run 89 octane and pull a 14 ft. landscape trailer. With or without the trailer, same noise.

Someone told me to try detergent gasoline (Sunoco or Mobil) but no difference noticed.
KRPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
dmac0923
Yorktown
2002 ranger xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
ive gave my truck a full tune up in attempt to get rid of that noise, i replaced all the plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, hoses, thermostat.
I cleaned the throttle body and the IAC valve hoping maybe the would be it also. but the noise didnt go away at all. i might try cleaning the MAF sensor, what the hell cant be any worse.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
KRPII
Rochester N.Y.
2001 Ranger Edge

Vehicle Specs

Just for giggles I tried some 93 octane. It lessened the noise greatly but still did not cure it. I sure as hell cannot afford to do that all the time.

Tried cleaning the map sensor as you said first,did nothing.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
Ray Hutchinson
Moderator Emeritus
Dana Point, CA

'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Exclamation Pinging....Carbon biuild up?

KRPII,

I had a similar problem in my Courier (remember them?) Pick up, and my nephew had it in his '94 Ranger. Turned out the noise was caused by carbon chunks built up on the piston tops, etc. The cure: a VERY little bit of water induced into the air intake. It will go into the cylinders cause steam which will dislodge the carbon, and problem gone!! For a long time! I paid the Ford dealer to cure mine, but when the mechanic came back in about 15 minutes with my truck fixed I asked what he did, and he told me: Open up the air intake, at the carb top or in your case, the throttle body by removing the air intake hose. With a squirt /spray bottle, with the engine running at,, about 1500 -2000 rpm, squirt a little water into the throttle body air inlet. Just a little bit, say 1/2 squirt. wait a little for the rpm to stabilize, and repeat, 2-3 times. Use only about a teaspoon or less, TOTAL, of water. We did it to my Nephew's Ranger, and fixed it for free

Naturally, if you blow up your engine, it's all your fault, and I claim no responsibility. I just told you what I did, I didn't tell you to do it too

Good luck

'06 F250 SD Dsl (Big Red 'Plorer Puller)
'01 Lincoln LS-V8
'66 'Stang CA Sprint
Ray Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Ray Hutchinson
Moderator Emeritus
Dana Point, CA

'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Exclamation Pinging....Carbon build up?

KRPII,

I had a similar problem in my Courier (remember them?) Pick up, and my nephew had it in his '94 Ranger. Turned out the noise was caused by carbon chunks built up on the piston tops, etc. The cure: a VERY little bit of water induced into the air intake. It will go into the cylinders and cause steam which will dislodge the carbon, and problem gone!! For a long time! I paid the Ford dealer to cure mine, but when the mechanic came back in about 15 minutes with my truck fixed I asked what he did, and he told me: Open up the air intake, at the carb top or in your case, the throttle body by removing the air intake hose. With a squirt /spray bottle, with the engine running at,, about 1500 -2000 rpm, squirt a little water into the throttle body air inlet. Just a little bit, say 1/2 squirt. wait a little for the rpm to stabilize, and repeat, 2-3 times. Use only about a teaspoon or less, TOTAL, of water. We did it to my Nephew's Ranger, and fixed it for free

Naturally, if you blow up your engine, it's all your fault, and I claim no responsibility. I just told you what I did, I didn't tell you to do it too

Good luck

'01 Lincoln LS-V8
'66 'Stang CA Sprint
Old 01-08-2007, 04:44 AM   #7
KRPII
Rochester N.Y.
2001 Ranger Edge

Vehicle Specs

LOL!! Yes I do remember the Courier. Personally I did not like them. Glad they are gone.

I will try a squirt and see what happens. I have never heard of the water thing but I have heard of the carbon build up on the pistons. Did NOT know it would cause the noise.

Thanks for the tip.
Appreciated very much!!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
dmac0923
Yorktown
2002 ranger xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i heard of the water trick, they used to try that instead of a valve job back with carb'd cars way back when.

1969,1970 Mustangs
Old 01-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
whisperer
VAP Man
Bend OR - Hilo HI.

:) Which one?

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Water works great to clean the carbon in the cylinders like Ray said. An engine can ingest a pretty good amount of it as long as it goes in sprayed. On old big domestic V8's we used to pour a whole pop bottle down the carb - a little at a time. Just dribble it in until the RPM's start to drop and stop until it clears back up and runs right, then do it again. Billows of white smoke from the exhaust....... A big domestic V8 will build up very lage amounts of carbon on the valves and cylinders and the water will blow that carbon right out the exhaust. Spray bottle is the way on a FI engine.

They actually used to sell a product to do this with but in all honesty I think it was colored water in a fancy spray bottle. It didn't work any better then clean water.

Last edited by whisperer; 01-08-2007 at 01:30 PM.
whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
dmac0923
Yorktown
2002 ranger xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i tried to do this myself, but its def a two person job. you need to just barely take the intake tube off the throttle body otherwise the engine will stall.

so trying to spray the water, hold the intake tube and move the throttle linkage was a little too much to handle

gotta recruit a buddy for this one

1969,1970 Mustangs
Old 01-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
dmac0923
Yorktown
2002 ranger xlt

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
are you supposed to spray water into the TB until you see white smoke/steam coming from the exhaust?

1969,1970 Mustangs
Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
Ray Hutchinson
Moderator Emeritus
Dana Point, CA

'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

How much water?

dmac,

I'm not exactly Mr. Suoerwrench, so someone may have a better reply, but I wouldn't probably put enough water in to produce any great quantity of steam. After all, were dealing with fuel injectors here, not carburators. I don't know what a large steam burst in the cylinder would do to hot injector tips. So, I'd just use a couple 1/2 squirts at a time, wait a few second and repeat. maybe 4-5 times.

Anybody else have more first hand knowledge, feel free to jump in!

'01 Lincoln LS-V8
'66 'Stang CA Sprint
Old 04-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
pgdean
Minnesota
1999 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac0923 View Post
my 02 4door ranger XLT 4.0L auto 4x4 with 140,000 miles.

my motor is pinging (classic rattling spoons noise) when the car is under load such as
going up a gradual hill

or when accelorating in a low gear before the tranny can shift.

once the transmission shifts the pinging goes away.

im running recommended 87 octane gas. i havent tried using 89 or 91 because with the price of gas in lower NY that would be a very expensive experiment.

do you think maybe the engine Knock sensor is bad?

the check engine light isnt on
I hear the same noise in my '99 Eddie Bauer model while going up grades. Turning the overdrive off gets rid of it. Anyone know how to make it go away permanently?
pgdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #14
the human genome
Nanaimo ,B.C. Canada
92 4.0 Ford ranger

Vehicle Specs

had the same pinging on 2.9 l 89 ranger and it ended up being worn lifters.
heard it could be engine out of timing too or timing belt???
the human genome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
1993ranger4.0
winnipeg manitoba
93 ford ranger xlt

Vehicle Specs

hey i had a slight pinging noise in my truck so i put 1/3 a bottle of seafoam in thru a vacum line and it completly cured it i recomend sea foam to anybody its like exlax for your truck lol
1993ranger4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
Explorer Bomb
Kansas City, MO
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

So did you try it dmac and what was the result?
Explorer Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page