Cruise Control Switch | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Switch

I just received my replacent switches from ebay. I have a 96 and they said they were from a 98. Mine lit up green and the replacements lit up blue, only the left side switch did not light up at all. I guess these are the chances you take when you buy used. Since the old switches were falling apart, I decided to dismantle one and see what was involved in changing the color of the bulb. See links to photos below:

http://tinyurl.com/mf596k

http://tinyurl.com/lx6bw7

If your replacement switches are in good physical condition, you will be able to take them apart and change the color of the bulb cover. The bulb cover is made of soft silicone rubber and is easily removed. In my case, I had a bad bulb so I had to remove the cover and slide it over a good bulb taken from my old switch.

So don't worry about what color or year you get the replacement cruise switch from. It is easy to get the color you want.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jay1028, I need to replace just the bulb but your pics don't really show how to disassemble without destroying the switch. Can this be done?

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW5919 {#F67Z9C888BC}
Dual Assy - w/ Ground Wire On Left Side

$99.79 $0.00 $99.79

not to cheap now! $100

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW5919 {#F67Z9C888BC}
Dual Assy - w/ Ground Wire On Left Side

$99.79 $0.00 $99.79

not to cheap now! $100

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SW..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1262748395&sr=8-1

Amazon,

55 bucks

Interestingly, rockauto.com lists 3 different part numbers.

SW5928, which has sub part numbers of #F87A9D809BA, and #F87Z9C888BB

and SW 5919, #F67Z9C888BC

I wonder what the difference is between these. All numbers are listed for a 1998 Explorer with the SOHC 4.0 under rock auto.

I am assuming color. Which part number is green color?

junkyard... $5 I broke the plastic mounts and needed new ones

I've already installed my new cruise control switches, but the set/accel buttons on the right side dont light up green anymore. They did on the old ones, and the on/off switch light up. Been beating my head with this one. Anyone know which wire is for the right side? Since they are all black. rofl

Replacement of CC success!

Well, I experienced pretty much the same results as others when I replaced my CC switches last night.

Steps:
1. Disconnect battery and wait about 10 minutes.

2. Remove plugs from behind steering wheel.

3. Using 8mm socket, remove bolts behind steering wheel.

4. Remove air bag assembly. The power cable comes off nicely, but you have to pay a little attention here. Just notice how the plug is a one-way and has a detent release.

5. You will see the switches and they are secured with 4 small Phillips screws. Unscrew and then gently remove the cables to the switches. Here is where it is actually time consuming. The cable is very well secure and be sure to pull on the cable end and not the ribbon. This goes for the new set of switches too.

5a. If you decide that the ribbon cable in the wheel is bad, you will need to pull the steering wheel. This is where I would pay a good mechanic, but that is just me. Fortunately, my cables were in good condition.

6. After removing the ribbon from the new set of switches, simply slide the cable into the switches. It goes in FAR easier than it comes out.

7. Reassemble in reverse order.

8. Total time: 20 minutes to include about 10 minutes to remove the ribbon cables. I was being very cautious while doing this.

Tip: To remove the ribbon cable, I used a small screwdriver and gently wedged that into the ribbon cable assembly. And I do mean GENTLY. It came off rather easy with this method.

The lights are green on my set and I saw no option for blue. There may be a method to change the color of the bulb... but I didn't need to.

I consider myself a very bad mechanic, but this was very easy. The hardest part was the ribbon cable removal.

That is it! It works like brand new. All for about $55 and cheap labor!

I know I promised a video, but my camera was on loan...

Which switch is correct??

Hi to all, I will be repalcing my CC switches and Amazon shows a SW5928 and SW5919. RockAuto has the same thing. which one is correct. I drive a 1998 4dr XLT

bentrider1957 - thank you for the quick reply. I didnt think of looking it up in the motorcraft page ..duh

What is the difference between part number SW5928 and SW5919? I have a 96 Explorer and according to Amazon.com I need SW5919 which is about $80. SW5928 is $60.

ford explorer 1997 eddie bauer cruise control switch i ha problem with this i went to ford dealer and cost 186 dollares plus 250 the intalacion if someone can giv esomo info. where cna a get this part i will tank a lot
also my radio doen not work the dash light is on but the doesnot work,
some bady tald me the is a short circuti oany wire must be unpluge i dont not undestad what happen
i tried to intala a aftermake radio but this radio doe not sound like a factory radio
i put it bak but does not work some thing made bad
thank you for the help

Last edited:

Old thread, but the Rockauto price now is:

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW5919 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers}
[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles sold in the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] Dual Assy - w/ Ground Wire On Left Side

Part Image $81.79 :eek::eek::eek:

Back