Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

heater only blows cold air?

Old 01-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
bikejumpr2020
honey brook , PA
1996 limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
heater only blows cold air?

I have a 1996 ford explorer limited v8 5.0 and this morning i started it up and let it run for like 10min with the heat on and when i went to get in it, it was freezing, i tried turning the temp down to 60 and turnin it back up, which has worked before, but it was still cold air, its not really cold air but its not warm. some one mentioned something about a blend air door, does any one have an idea of wht this could be? and also after about an hour of driving the air was still cold.
bikejumpr2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
Blue_Oval_Ford
B
California
1997 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

If it is the blend door thats broken rockauto.com has just the door part made by doorman. There are a few articles on the web on how to replace it by removing the evap housing. from the engine compartment. You could also have a bad heat valve that fits between the water pump and the heater core not allowing coolant to circulate.
Blue_Oval_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
TonyC
Colo Spgs
94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I've developed a similar problem in my 94. I can feel the heat in the vent ducts go up and down along with watching the temp gauge cycle up and down. It is like the system is building heat until the thermostat opens, then once it opens, all the heat is lost until the t-stat closes and lets some heat build up again.

Now, it has been ranging from -20 to +20 over the past several weeks, so it is considerably colder than normal. As such, I put a shield over a portion of the radiator to try and reduce the amount of airflow through it. That seemed to help some, but not much. I have a hard time beleiving that anyone ina colder climate than mine would ever have this type of trouble, and I never had any problems in the past.

Is there someway to check the control valve without buying a new one? Are there some other things I should check? I replaced the thermostat, radiator, and water pump last year to eliminate an overheating problem. Now I can't get enough heat into the dang thing. BTW, the thermostat is a 190 degree unit.
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
bikejumpr2020
honey brook , PA
1996 limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i opened my glove compartment and pried up the blend door actuator and now its blowing heat!
bikejumpr2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
Millertime1987
St.Paul, Minnesota

'99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I couldn't go a winter in MN without a heater for long. I went a week or so here without the heater then the subzero temps hit and i decided then that the 300 plus doller repair for the fix was well worth it.
Millertime1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
cfd911
chicago IL
01 xlt

Vehicle Specs

blend door

i had a similar problem had heat after driving about 30 min then all of a sudden it started getting cold , and the heat would vary from cool to warm.. i checked the blend coor it seems that that is a common problem that everybody thinks is the only problem, well i have found a new problem, if you ve ever opened up the blend door actuator you will notice theres a motor and a circuit board with an ic chip and some simple diodes and resistors and so on... Well i opened up the actuator reconncted the wires and started the truck, and noticed the the motor would wander and jerk back and forth, so therefore the circuit board was not receiveing a good signal from the temp dial or there was a problem with the acuator , my guess would be that the pc board has a bad component and it s time to replace the actuator, but with some logic you and figure it out check the blend door for damage then move on but just a word of caution just because you don t have heat doesn t mean the blend door is broken....
cfd911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
cnazal1022
Dearborn,MI
02 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

I've noticed on a lot of explorers after 95,000+ miles that the acuator goes out..i went to the mechanic and another lady was with the same problem..so I guess I will have to pay out he $300 to fix it..ugh
cnazal1022 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page