• Register Today It's free!

Windshield washer pump.

Bigg_billy

Reaction score
City, State
Westford Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS 4L AT
Has anyone changed this out. Do you take the combination washer/antifreeze tank off to replace this little pump. The passenger side spray isn't working and the driver's side is weak. I'm assuming this is the culprit.

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dont assume, use a test light or multimeter to check the wiring signal at the pump. Yes sometimes you have to remove the tank to get access to the pump and so you dont break the clip on the wiring.

I use a multimeter, then turn the key on and have a helper activate the sprayer switch and test for the 12V= at the pump itself.
If you are getting the power to the pump when you pull the switch, then you know its either the pump itself or the electrical connection at the pump

the switch could also be bad, or a fuse.

The pump is pressed into the plastic tank and held in place with a star shaped keeper, its pretty easy to remove if you tanke the tank out of the truck, which takes 10 minutes

Before you go dismantling things, try cleaning the spray jets with a needle as they can / do get plugged from debris and dried washer spray "stuff".

Thanks guys, the pump works, just spraying weakly on the drivers side and not at all on the passenger. I tried cleaning the jets with a needle but no dice. The passenger side jet is over the PCM (I think or something that looks like it), so I'm hoping it is the pump. I just wanted to know if you had to take the tank off or you could pop it out without, and it sounds like the answer is yes.

Thanks for the help,

Bill

Westford Mass,
are the washer hoses frozen ?

sprayer

When I bought my 2000 about a year ago, the washer would not spray out. I could hear the motor running, so i thought that was good. I tried cleaning the jets but that didn't help much. To get the tank out, i found it much easier to separate the washer tank from the coolant tank. I separated them with a hack saw (they both have there own mounting brackets) and removed the washer tank. I took off the washer motor from the tank and it seemed to work fine. I then took out the fine mesh screen in front of the motor in the tank and it was very badly clogged. I cleaned it and all worked great -

OK Ron, I'll give that a look first. Hoses aren't frozen, it hasn't worked for a while even in Summer. I'm just a little slow getting it fixed. The Mrs. has a job now, so she uises it full time, I don't want anything to stop her......

Back