Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

Metal Shavings in transmission pan

Old 01-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
chrisis
Murray, kentucky
2000 ford explorer xls

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Metal Shavings in transmission pan

I have a 96 explorer 4.0 with the 4r55e Tranny. I bought it with 118000 miles and today i service the transmission (drop the pan) and i found the pan full of metal shavings around the magnets and in the pan. the tranny it doesn't seem to have been servised again. right now i'm at 140000 miles.

i add motocraft ATF because i didn't want to take any risk at this point switching to synthetic.

do i have to worry about it.it doesn't give me any troubles right now.

any advises are welcome.
chrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Pollarican
Elite Explorer
Wall Township, New Jersey

1991 EB 4dr

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Were there any shavings in the fluid when checking the dipstick? Mine had some right after the tranny blew.

The main advice I can give you is to not powerflush your transmission. Chances are that will increase the probability of your already shaky looking transmission dying. Somewhere on the board is a good thread about changing transmission fluid a quart or two at a time, and that is something you really should do before those shavings kill your tranny. Dropping the pan is only about 1/3 of the fluid.

Sorry if my comments are common knowledge to you already, I'm just trying to help you out whatever way I can. My rebuilt transmission ran me over $1500 bucks.
Pollarican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
chrisis
Murray, kentucky
2000 ford explorer xls

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
thanks a lot for your advise. NO SHAVINGS in dipstic just the bottom of the pan and the 2 magnets.

due to never change fluid for propably 140000 miles the fluid was red and that impress me a lot.

the metal shavings really scare me, but i didn't see any metal parts in the pan. my mechanic told me that is due to never service the tranny and the fluid was red so he told me to not worry about it.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Were the shavings very thick, or like a fine powder? Did the fluid have a sharp, burned smell similar to some P/S fluids? Did the fluid look like this:
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
chrisis
Murray, kentucky
2000 ford explorer xls

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
the metal shavings were like a powder around the magnets and some on the bottom of the pan.

the color of the fluid where red exactly as the one i put in.(motorcraft ATF)
no burn smell on the fluid.

in the dipstick the level where about 1cm over the max, but we just put the fluid from the dipstick and we work the tranny in each gear without driving it yet.

i drove the car around the town and the tranny felt the same, normal/smooth shiftings and a small bang when go to reverse.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
A lot of the time the metal shavings are from the rear thrust washer. I wouldn't stress about it, since they were not heavy fragments.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One of these days I am going to try and put a thread together describing metal in a transmission pan. When I hear shavings, I see individual shards of brightly colored metal, or dull bronze metal... there is a normal deposition of a fine dark powder that will stick to the magnet.... but it is not "shavings" in my mind. I would not stress if that is what you have.... but would avoid a power flush as was suggested....
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ditto... A fine gray dust I would consider normal. That's the metallic portion friction material that normall wears off the surfaces and is nothing wto worry about. It usually looks like a gray paste, and if you smoosh it between your fingers you can barely feel the particles.

When someone says 'metal shavings', like glacier mentioned, I start thinking of long curly hair-like pieces... and those are VERY bad.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
khoward
Pelahatchie Ms,
'92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

dont worry it just has some wear on the trans its common and put some lucas in it and let it go
khoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
tonker1974
scotland
1997 kl

Vehicle Specs

just droped my pan and thought i had metel aswell thank fcuk for that
problem is mine was not red and did have wee bit of smell ,

also i droped pan to remove fillter but what i can gather is there is alot more to come .But when i ran my engine there was nothing coming out the cooler pipes is this because pan still of and i need to be adding oil ?????????? plz help
tonker1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
tonker1974
scotland
1997 kl

Vehicle Specs

tranny mmmmmmmm

droped pan of tranny the day mmmmmm,

oil not the best colour and what i thought was metal is common in them thank fcuk ,

prob i have now is do i start engine with pan of to get rid of the rest of the oil and the 2 cooler pipes of aswell

or pan on and run and add
tonker1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
Potomac30
IRMo, SC
1993 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

I would recommend that you not run the engine with the transmission pan off. The same applies to the oil pan, radiator, etc. There are some stickies at the top that are quite helpful. (pan on, add, run, stop, add, repeat)

Old 03-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
FordExplorer2002
Plattsburgh NY
2002 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

checked my tranny fluid in my 02 explorer 4.6 l v8 u know the one u need to crawl under to check lol yay for me well it had some tiny metal shaveings in the fluid idk if this is common cus of the way u check it or what. dose anyonek now?thanks
FordExplorer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page