Intake Manifold Gaskets - P0171-P0174 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake Manifold Gaskets - P0171-P0174

Bigg_billy

Reaction score
City, State
Westford Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS 4L AT
Well after resetting a couple times the CEL from the above codes it has returned again after a 100 miles. Consensus here seems to be replacing the intake manifold gaskets. Also think I've read here about TSB for the job. Has anyone here done this work and have any pointers or be able to steer me to a sticky on this job. I have a 2000 Explorer 4L OHV, automatic. Can someone tell me how the upper and lower gaskets come, I've gone to Fastparts and think I saw the lowers for $32 and the uppers for $2, something didn't sound right there. Also I imagine I have to take the distributor and wires off, any secrets there. Or for the valve covers. I'd like to have all the parts I need ready before I dive in. How long does this job usually take? Any pointers or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He says he has a 4.0 OHV, are all the posts applicable?
Does the Ranger OHV have a different upper intake than the Exploere?

I think just the last post applies to the OHV. The upper intake looks like the same one in my Explorer, so I would think the Ranger instructions are pretty much the same.

Thank you everyone, this helps alot, so I guess do the upper manifold gaskets first and if the code returns then do the lower. I printed out one of the links as a guide so I'll let you guys know how it goes, looks a lot easier than the 5R55E tranny rebuild. BB, I would think the thread "How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets" should be a sticky? Of course it already could be with my searching talents, I think I need a class on searching.

Thanks again,

Bill

Yes it was a good one, I hope it works for me and I don't have to do the lower ones, I'll dive in this weekend if I get the parts....

Thanks again,

Bill

i have exactly the same problem and when it stops snowning i will change the upper manifold gaskets too.

i just get a quote from Ford
(upper manifold Gasket $2.75 each)
(lower intake gasket 24.55) is 1 piece.

mine is a 96 so i don't know if it makes any difference.

with those prices i will go with the Ford Gaskets.

I ordered them from FastParts, they should be here tomorrow. I looked it over last weekend, it should be easy enough. It's been zero around here at night, so I may have to wait a bit. I'll post back when I'm done.

Bill

I just replaced my heads and was surprised that the upper intake manifold gaskets came in a set of 6 when there are only 3 that I see on the plastic manifold... Am I missing something? Assuming I'm not, if anyone sends me an email or IM I'd gladly mail these other 3 to you if you want them. (I'll edit this post or post again if they're claimed.)

Another Bill

Did you only open one side of the intake manifold? A 6 cylinder has 6 openings for the air intake.

For the OHV, the upper intake to lower intake only has 3 gaskets because the each gasket is for 2 intake ports.

new.jpg

Thanks guys, NAPA and AutoZone sell those three gaskets for $28.75. Fastparts.com (formerly Fordparts.com) sells them $6.75. I can't figure that one....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back