Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

How tight do I make the wheel bearing nuts??

Old 07-26-2000, 03:45 PM   #1
Empty Pockets
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
'04 EB V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question how tight do I make my front wheel bearing nuts?

On my '94 EB there's a keyway on the front wheel bearing nuts and it seems like the slots make it either too tight or too loose.

What do you think I should do?

[Edited by Empty Pockets on 07-26-2000 at 12:49 PM]
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-27-2000, 05:26 PM   #2
ExploreMinnesota
Rochester, Minnesota
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

After Packing the bearings and installing them, you should initially tighten them very tight. Don't leave them like that though. Back them off just enough to allow the wheel to turn nicely . . . not too lose, but not too tight either. From there, use the closest key slot.

Hope that helps.

2008 EB 4x4 Stock
ExploreMinnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2000, 10:42 PM   #3
Brian1
Elite Explorer
Albuquerque, NM

1991 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I think it is like this: tighten it to 35 ft# and then back it off 90 degrees. Then re-torque to 16 ft#. This is for if you have manual hubs. I think the autos are probably the same.
Brian1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2000, 12:25 AM   #4
Ira
Northeast Tennessee
91 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I still have the auto hubs on mine, and thought I would never get it straightened out. Every time I torqued mine according to the book, and the way they explained above, my wheel still felt loose. I could grab the wheel at the top and bottom and it would still have wobble in it. I finally tightened it one slot in the keyway farther than you would think it should be, and it took care of the problem.

Hope this helps.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2000, 12:32 AM   #5
Waverider
Washington, NC
'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

With the Wheel Bearing nut you tighten it firmly and back off just enough to get the lock pin in. Remember to pack the mess out of the bearings.
Waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2000, 08:30 AM   #6
Empty Pockets
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
'04 EB V8

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thumbs up Thanks guys

This all makes sense, that's what I did it just still feels too loose. I guess that's the way to go.
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
crispy925
Chicago
96 Ranger XLT

Vehicle Specs

ball play

After I replaced my ball joints (which can cause play when you grab the top and bottom of the wheel and shake) on the front axle, I had to put the spindle nut back one.

BEFORE you put the brake rotor on, make sure to feel how much play there is when you shake the wheel. Shaking the hub up and down will show how much play there is in the ball joints, while shaking the hub side to side will show how much play there is in the steering joint.
crispy925 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: