Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Replacing rear turn signal light bulb on 2005 XLT?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Am_Dew
Somehere in Northern CA
'05 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Replacing rear turn signal light bulb on 2005 XLT?

2005 Explorer XLT

I noticed that my right blinker started blinking very fast the other day (blinking fast inside the vehicle, on the instrument panel when I turn on the right turn signal). I checked my turn lights and found that the right (passenger) side turn light is not working. I guess the fast blinking is to let you know that there is a problem somewhere--I've never heard of such a feature.

Does anyone know what it takes to replace the bulb in a rear tail light on a 2005 XLT? I opened the hatch and could not see anything that would obviously allow removal of the large tail light assembly. I did see one black screw that does not appear to hold anything in place, but I did not have a screwdriver with me at the time, so I am wondering if removing that screw will allow the tail light to come out?

Thanks!

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
rrgone
Tucson, AZ
'02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Did you get an Owners Guide with your Ex? If so, look in the index under 'bulbs'.
rrgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Am_Dew
Somehere in Northern CA
'05 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
Did you get an Owners Guide with your Ex? If so, look in the index under 'bulbs'.
Yes, I did and will check it tonite. I guess I should give Ford more credit...I just assumed replacement instructions would not be in the Owner's Guide. We'll see...

Old 02-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
dannyb420
Cleveland, Ohio
'04 XLT

Vehicle Specs

open the hatch, there are two srews that hold he entire light in. Remove the two screws and voila. There are two bulbs just remove the bulb you want to replace and you are set. Its actually pretty easy. Good luck, let me know if you get stuck.

SOLD'04 XLT Tinted windows, 10" Infinity Basslink, custom Sirius satellite mount,K&N Filters throughout,Sylvania Silverstar, eadlights,Fogs,signals w/ clear corners, LED puddle lights, license plate lights, and interior 265/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler REVO,F150 Recovery Hooks
dannyb420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Am_Dew
Somehere in Northern CA
'05 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks Danny. You're right about there being two screws. I did not see the 2nd one when I quickly looked at it the other day.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
asimp
Bardstown, KY
04 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb420 View Post
open the hatch, there are two srews that hold he entire light in. Remove the two screws and voila. There are two bulbs just remove the bulb you want to replace and you are set. Its actually pretty easy. Good luck, let me know if you get stuck.
Exactly!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
FirstOnRaceDayHA
Pensacola, Florida
2005 POS Explorer

Vehicle Specs

I agree - check the owners manual to be sure that you replace your turn/brake light bulbs with the correct ones. I have a 2005 Explorer - the left turn/ brake light stopped working / only worked intermittently. I tried everything short of a repair shop. Finally I checked the owners manual and low and behold someone had replaced the factory bulbs (3157K) with a (3057K). Physically they appear to be identical, but when I installed the correct bulbs my problem went away. They must be electrically different.

Oh, in case you are wondering, it wasn't me. I am an electrical engineering student and mechanical design/fabricator (read as no dummy). We bought the vehicle used and my guess is that the (3057k) bulbs almost work, but road vibration etc makes them unreliable. Since switching bulbs I have had no further problems.

Last edited by FirstOnRaceDayHA; 02-19-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Further explination
FirstOnRaceDayHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOnRaceDayHA View Post
I agree - check the owners manual to be sure that you replace your turn/brake light bulbs with the correct ones. I have a 2005 Explorer - the left turn/ brake light stopped working / only worked intermittently. I tried everything short of a repair shop. Finally I checked the owners manual and low and behold someone had replaced the factory bulbs (3157K) with a (3057K). Physically they appear to be identical, but when I installed the correct bulbs my problem went away. They must be electrically different.

Oh, in case you are wondering, it wasn't me. I am an electrical engineering student and mechanical design/fabricator (read as no dummy). We bought the vehicle used and my guess is that the (3057k) bulbs almost work, but road vibration etc makes them unreliable. Since switching bulbs I have had no further problems.
Welcome aboard!!

You have to check the date of the posts you are replying to. This thread is 5 years old and pretty dead.

Don't get me wrong, we appreciate your advice and are glad you are willing to help out other forum members.

I have gotten caught in the dead thread net before too.

Hope you enjoy Explorer Forum as much as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND on 4-22-13
Don't mess with Boston. They will drop everything, hunt you down, and then go on like you never existed once they are done cleaning up the mess.
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page