Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

What kind of grease/lubricant to use in ball joints/tie rods???

Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
bennettcl
Olathe, KS
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
What kind of grease/lubricant to use in ball joints/tie rods???

I am replacing all my ball joints and outer tie rods on my 98 explorer AWD V8. Right now the only grease I have is a Super Tech Multi Purpose grease I got at Walmart for a $1. I am not sure if that is the correct grease to be using. So I need to know:

What kind of grease should I get and where should I get it? It says I should get chassis grease. Is there a grease that I can get that can be used on all my ball joints and tie rods as well as other applications? Please be sure to let me know where you get the grease.

Also I am putting all brand new bushings in my upper and lower control arms. Do the new bushings need any kind of lubricant on them such as silicone grease?

Also I have to remove my torsion bars to take off the lower control arm. Do I need to put some kind of dry adhesive on the torsion bar adjuster bolt when I put it back in?

And do any other bolts such as the frame bolts that hold the upper and lower control arms on. Do they need a dry adhesive or do I just tight them tight.?
bennettcl is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
badge49
Humboldt, CA

'97 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Heres a bump, I want to know too
badge49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
jbwilli
marietta ga
1997 XLT & SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Ford ball joint grease

NLGI N0.2 lithium based grease containing polyethylene and molybdenum disulfide is recommended by Ford for front wheel bearings, automatic locking front hubs, front spindle and thrust bearings (4Wd) AND ALL CHASSIS lubrication. Ford OEM balljoints are sealed with no grease fitting and therefor Ford recommends no grease specifically for their balljoints.

The NLGI number system categorizes greases according to their hardness, from an NLGI No. 000 through No. 6, with an NLGI No. 2 being the most common.

NLGI No.2 appears to be the what Ford would recommend IF their balljoints had grease fittings.
jbwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
drdoom
VA
1997 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I use the Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury grease, bought it at Advance.
drdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
steadyhand
Missouri
99 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoom View Post
I use the Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury grease, bought it at Advance.
+1

I have used this stuff on all of my vehicles, most recently on my 99 Mountaineer and my 91 Mustang GT. I haven't had any problems.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
jbwilli
marietta ga
1997 XLT & SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Yes, the Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury grease is NLGI N0.2.
jbwilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page