Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Technician's Tips and Tech

Notices

Technician's Tips and Tech This forum is where professional automotive technicians or skilled automotive hobbyists can share their tech tips. Do not post your questions here! Post in the forum best suited to your topic. Questions posted in this forum will be deleted!

Tip on Getting a stuck Rotor off

Old 04-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
bounsoul
NY, NY
'01 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Tip on Getting a stuck Rotor off

I just changed my front brakes and rotors, and it was a B#$CH getting the rotors off...I have about 61k miles on my '01 and I think this was the first time these suckers have been changed. You can either hammer the crap out of them from a tough angle...OR do what I did- You need to have both front wheels off at the same time. Then take a long piece of steel or iron bar (I used a 1/2'' x6ft length of what I believe is gas pipe) and head to the side opposite the rotor you want to pop off. Stick the pipe through the wheel well on the opposite side and position it on the back of the rotor you need to whack off. Now you will be able to take nice big, controlled swings at the end of the pipe that's sticking out of the opposite wheel well. it worked like a charm.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
TerryS1980
South Louisiana
2000 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Hopefully you didn't screw up the bearings. You should only use a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer. Using a pipe like that is over kill.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Nocturnall
Tempe, AZ
1997 Sport

Vehicle Specs

I used a 3 jaw gear puller on my rear rotors. That worked like a charm. Sticking a pipe through all the crucial areas of my vehicle then wacking it with a hammer hoping it doesn't bounce off and hit something else doesn't seem like the route I would want to take.....just me though, I'm a worry wart.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
bounsoul
NY, NY
'01 XLS

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It's harder blindfolded

Im not saying to get a blindfold and go to town with a pipe on your car...if you place the end of the pipe on the back of the rotor, you won't be damaging anything else. The idea is that you'll be able to get a better angle to tap the rotor off. I first used a rubber mallet, dead blow hammer, and finally a heavy mallet with a piece of wood against the rotor to coax it off and it was all to no avail. The leverage and angle I got using the way I described was more than enough to easily, and in a controlled manner, pop the rotor off.

If you want, you can even pad the end of the pipe and you'll be doing absolutely no damage to the car or the rotor. Keep in mind that this is something to go to after the conventional way doesn't work. My rotor was practically welded on. I checked and repacked the bearings afterwards, they were fine. Car drives fine.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
skoal_mint
Geraldton ontario
97 explorer sport 4.0

Vehicle Specs

What if someone reads this and take your advice on their truck, but their are only taking off the rotor to switch the wheelbearing?$$? you never know.

But i did try rubber mallet, then a hammer and then got out a even bigger hammer and it still wouldnt come...sprayed on penetrating oil in the center and it came off with one tap of my hand
Old 05-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
Lee308

Vehicle Specs

I used a torch to heat the face of the rotor around the the lugs. Not glowing red of course, just to hot to touch. Tapped it with a hammer, and fell loose. For those that don't know, if first time, rotor will have the factory "keepers" around each lug and these must be removed before trying to take off rotor.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
V8BoatBuilder
Transplanted Bostonian
East Brunswick, NJ

97 Mountaineer V8 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had fantastic luck with a large crowbar placed between the spindle and the rotor. If I want to save the rotor, I use a small piece of 1/4" thick oak as a protector pad.

On Road: 2006 VW Jetta TDI/6spd DSG. Fill it with diesel, please.
Octopus Yachts, LLC Engineered Marine Electrical Systems
Old 06-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
700summitguy
Onoway,Alberta,
07 FX4 Level 2

Vehicle Specs

Snap-on 3 Pound deadblow hammer,works well,no damage. Plus I like to hit things LOL.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
Silver X
Elite Explorer
Brownstown Twp, MI
'01 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoal_mint View Post
...sprayed on penetrating oil in the center and it came off with one tap of my hand

Rust builds up and creates a lip that you are trying to pry the rotor past along the exposed surface of the hub. Using penetrating oil along with a wire brush to remove the rust works for me if a quick whack with a deadblow or my hand doesn't get it easily.

'09 G8 GT: stock
'83 Mustang GLX: T-tops, EFI 5.0L/TKO600,Turbo @15psi,Cobra brakes,etc
Old 07-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
skoal_mint
Geraldton ontario
97 explorer sport 4.0

Vehicle Specs

OK, I now that sometimes we don't get lucky...Sometime at the shop I have the torch the suckers up and smack them hard with a hammer..And other times we'll just the the customer to buy me rotors becasue they will be charged 2 hours just to get them off or they'll have to buy new ones becasue we have to heat them up and splash cold water on them...And we all know that warps it to hell
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
JohnJ
Brick, NJ
'92 Puttied

Vehicle Specs

Sometimes I get a Dodge truck with alloy wheels in for brakes and their rotors corrode like sodium in a lake. You can user the holes that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle to help. It works well on other vehicles as well, but with less force.

If your brackets are threaded and the knuckles aren'
t:

First remove the calipers and brackets (pad holders or whatever you like to call them.) Then, find a bolt that's just barely a small enough diameter that the threaded end fits through the hole in the knuckle loosely and just long enough that with the head of the bolt against the rotor you can fit into the hole. Get two of this bolt, two nuts to fit, and two washers as well. Get also a flat piece of metal longer than the distance between the two holes.

Onto each bolt first put the nut (all the way.) Then put the washer on. Slip each bolt through one hole with the head end against the rotor and the washer against the knuckle. Now use one wrench to hold the head of the bolt ant another wrench to turn the nut so that the head of the bolt is almost against the rotor. Set the flat piece of metal against the rotor (not needed if replacing rotor) to act as a shim. Turn your nuts so they force the bolt to press somewhat against the rotor using flat piece of metal as a shim. Now, at the side of the rotor furthest away from the bolts, give a couple of good shots with your nice hammer. The rotor should jump out just a bit and the bolts will not have as much pressure on them. Back off the nuts a bit and remove the bolts, then tap the rotor gently with the hammer and remove.

If the knuckle is threaded and the bracket is not:
Find the size (diameter and thread pitch) of the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle. Get two bolts this size but much longer.
With the bracket removed, screw the bolts in until they touch the rotor plus three to five turns. Five works better but can damage the rotors.

Strike the rotor with a hammer a couple of times, then remove the bolts. Tap the rotor lightly with the hammer then pull off.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
MadExplorer93
B
Sault Ste Marie, Ontario Canada

1993 XL 4x4 4.0L OHV V6

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS1980 View Post
Hopefully you didn't screw up the bearings. You should only use a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer. Using a pipe like that is over kill.
Thats what i use is a rubber mallot only.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS1980 View Post
Oh for God's sake. It's not overkill if that's the only way you can get them off! I've seen them where they had to be cut off! Funny...I've been around this business for over 35 years. I've never seen one set of wheel bearings hurt because of removing stuck rotors...unless they had to be cut off.

Great suggestion with the pipe. You do what you have to do. My only caution would be damaged rotors. I would probably hesitate to reuse them depending on how hard I had to hit them. Of course, that could be true from dead blow hammers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
briwayjones
Elite Explorer
Sykesville, MD

'00 XLS, '03 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You're talking about the fronts. But for reference for people on the rears you need to loosen the parking brake before you can get them off. There's a hole in the back of the brake assembly with a star wheel inside. You need to get a screw driver in there and turn the star wheel the correct direction to back the parking brake pads off.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
91exploreron37
Bartlett Tn
91 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

We had a "northern" car in the shop the other day that was rusted to hell. We ended up breaking the rotors in peices off the hub with a sledge, but of course we really never had to deal with rust that bad.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #16
mudy explorer
eugene oregon
1991 xl explorer

Vehicle Specs

rotors are not that bad to take off if you got the tools for the job and some wd40 or mybe some break lows that well get it off no porb
Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #17
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudy explorer View Post
rotors are not that bad to take off if you got the tools for the job and some wd40 or mybe some break lows that well get it off no porb
You obviously have never worked on a 10 year old vehicle out of the rust belt. Believe me...there are many times when the tool for the job is like was mentioned...a torch or sledge hammer. Big one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #18
mudy explorer
eugene oregon
1991 xl explorer

Vehicle Specs

well win i was working on my dad turk wich its a 73 3/4 ton it was all rust the blot that would not come off we heated them up or cut them off i know all about pairs of a car that won come off and all you can say f+++ u you f +++ part lol
Old 05-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #19
blacklimited
1999 Explorer Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Be careful, I cracked mine when it was stuck and I tried to get it off.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #20
SyberTiger
Orlando
2002 Limited 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How about this thread for rear rotors:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=192616

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!