• Register Today It's free!

Antifreeze

TerryS1980

Reaction score
City, State
South Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0
Has anyone use a different color antifreeze besides the regular yellow/green? Such as the red or orange. I know you cannot use the red or orange in copper radiators. Is the radiator aluminum? I purchased the clear glass radiator hose and was going to change to red.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I converted to Dex-Cool in 1999 in my '96 explorer. 180k miles no issues so far. Just make sure you COMPLETELY get all the green stuff out...:usa:

The green antifreeze is ethylene glycol. The red antifreeze is propylene glycol. That one is environmentally friendly unlike the regular one. Most are not compatible with each other, but it seems that some of the new ones say that they are. Don't take a chance unless you read the label first. Where did you buy clear hoses? Here is a very thorough article about the difference in coolants: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200408/ai_n9453107

Ive done alot of reading on the subject and the only thing I am worried about it if the red type will erode or damage my water pump. I got it from killerglass.com, if you go through carsponsorships.com you can get it for $115 with red leds.

That website says that it's actually made out of Pyrex 7740 (borosilicate). So how does it fasten onto the radiator, and the water neck? Is there a rubber adapter? Do you have a picture of the one you just purchased? Are all of them custom fit just like regular radiator hoses? They drove a nail into it in a video clip. Their F250 ran over it, and it didn't break.

Here is a pic of the top hose on a 5.0
hose.jpg

Back