Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Blower motor doesn't work

Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
repodad
Chester, Pa
93 xlt sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Blower motor doesn't work

Hello all, first the blower motor only worked on high now it does not work at all. I have replaced the blower motor and still no go. any help would be grateful. Also my 4low does not work 4high does but the 4low light does not light up, any ideas? The vehicle is a 93 explorer sport. Again any help is grateful Thanks Victor
repodad is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
Minivek
Quebec, Canada
'03 Limited Ex silver

Vehicle Specs

Most likely culprit is the blower motor resistor. It's the little platic housing on the main blower fan housing, they tend to crap out after that many years, symptoms are loss off fan speeds, mine only worked on high and low. You would also want to check the blower motor relay, just switch it with an other relay, if it works, wou've found the problem, if not, than its your resistor.

As for the 4x4 lo, I'd suggest searching here as it has been adressed, meanwhile you can check to see if the brown wire going into the Tcase is still attached, it allows the transfer case to go into 4lo...

New baby 2003 4.6 Silver Limited Explorer!!
Minivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
DeRocha
NEX Vice President
Brockton, MA

'93 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by repodad View Post
Hello all, first the blower motor only worked on high now it does not work at all. I have replaced the blower motor and still no go. any help would be grateful. Also my 4low does not work 4high does but the 4low light does not light up, any ideas? The vehicle is a 93 explorer sport. Again any help is grateful Thanks Victor
Blower motor: start with the obvious and pull Fuse #30 (see Fuse locations for diagram). The blower motor resistor acts like a 3way light bulb to change the power for the low med and high speeds. When one of the filaments burns out it prevents that speed from working.. MAX speed on the other hand will always work since it by-passes the resistor pack and sends full power to the blower..

4low: You indicate 4high works, but 4low does not.. Has 4low ever worked, or is this vehicle new to you? Do you have the vehicle's operation manual and know how to engage 4low?

Repair info NEX-New England Explorers NEX: Club Events
DeRocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
pugsy
Toronto, ON
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)

Vehicle Specs

To see if the blower motor works, jump it with a direct 12V source. That's what I did when I replaced mine with a junkyard one to make sure it worked before I bought it.
Then if it works with a direct power source, then check/swap the relay and resistor as mentioned above. I also replaced these with scrap yard parts and have had no problems since.

4 lo....as mentioned above....probally the brown wire not attached, or the sensor attached to the brown wire gone bad. Try cutting it off and replace/solder a scrap yard one on to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, maybe the control module in the rear drivers side wheel well is on the fritz.
pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page