Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Radiator Cap Stuck

Old 04-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
MikeP

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Radiator Cap Stuck

My radiator cap appears to have gotten cross-threaded and is stuck (not able to remove it and difficult to lock it in place). Any hints on how to remove the cap? One approach is to break it and replace it with a new one.
1991 Explorer with about 220,000 miles. Got it new in July 1990.
Mike
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Tony H
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
'91 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Are you pushing down hard as you turn it?

1989 Volvo 240 300K on the clock: Original Owner
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
mikeinri
04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you try to break it (or cut it somehow), just be very careful, as it is screwed into the plastic housing of the radiator. If you damage that, you have to replace the whole radiator.

If you could somehow get to the "teeth" of the cap, you may be able to bend them enough to free it up. Again, be very careful if you're prying against the radiator neck (plastic).

Mike
mikeinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
410Fortune
ELITE BRONCO2ERER
Crawlorado

B2 Mod

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
there are no threads on your rad cap, it is a simple push and turn like asprin, try again it should not be stuck

Wifes 07 FJ build - 2007 FJ cruiser locked and lifted
410Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
marragtop
balt, md
91 xlt, 92 xlt, 95 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Agreed, it's not threaded. Push down with the palm of your hand and turn at the same time. You need to lean some body weight into it with straight down force.

'95 Explorer XLT 4x4
If it don't = 16 (4x4), it ain't worth driving...
marragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Don't open it when the engine is hot.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
JIGAWHAAT

Vehicle Specs

Give mental a call. He will come over with his hammer

Old 04-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
MikeP

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Unstuck Radiator Cap

Thanks for the advice.
The cap is not actually threaded but it has those two locking tabs that sort of act like partial threads.
I think I got the cap "tilted" when I tried to replace it after checking the radiator fluid level and those two locking tabs were not located properly (the cap was "tilted"). It would only rotate about 60 degrees and pressing down it just would not release it.
I started up my engine and let it warm up about 5 minutes (it was freezing temp on Friday morning). Then I shut the engine off. The radiator had warmed some. I was able to rotate the radiator cap and remove it and install it correctly. I am guessing that the warming of the cap expanded the cap sufficiently to enable it to be removed. Yes, the message here is to be careful when replacing the radiator cap because it might not seal properly. There is some writing on the cap, something about lining up the arrows with the drain tube, etc. which implies that it must be possible to not replace that radiator cap propertly.

I have removed that radiator cap lots of times. The "cheap" plastic parts on the Ford Explorer radiator will develop leaks and so I check the fluid level frequently. I have never gotten around to replacing this defective radiator with a "real" metal radiator.

By the way, sometimes I drive out in the "boondocks" a considerable distance from anything and I like to be able to repair something that might go haywire. I have had stuff go hayire with my Ford, but luckily only once while I was out in the "boondocks" and that was a battery wire came loose after driving on the rough roads and I was able to find and fix it (not the battery cables but one of those other wires). In my former GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 I used to carry a number of spare parts so I could fix stuff like a broken radiator hose, fan belt, 2 spare wheels, etc. and it helped alot. My Ford Explorer is not nearly as tough as that GMC but it has survived about 17 years now which is not bad.
Mike
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page