What spark plugs are everyone using? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What spark plugs are everyone using?

E.B. Cornburner

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I just changed the plugs in mine today, and was kind of surprised for a double platinum plug, how worn they were. Ford claims 100,000 mile tune-up intervals, but that's pushing it, IMHO. These looked pretty ugly when I pulled them.

I went with the Autolite XP103 "Extreme Performance" 0.6mm iridium tip plug. They weren't that much more than the double platinum, so I figured I'd give them a try. They looked interesting.

I can't really judge any difference since a brand new plug will almost always make an engine run smoother/better than ones that have had 60K+ miles on them. It does run really nice though.

Just curious if anyone else had a favorite besides the Autolite/Motorcraft that came factory installed. I've always been one to match O.E. plug manufacturers when I change them. Fords get Autolites, GMs get AC, and Chryslers get Champions.

These engines are not too bad to do plugs on. Nothing like a 5.4L in an F150 or Expedition. Those will make you learn a new cussing vocabulary (or at least exercise the 4-letter words you already know). I can beat the flat rate book on them, but they still suck.
Even my Durango was harder to change plugs on than this engine. Well, more time consuming...The coil-on-plug system requires taking more stuff apart than just pulling a wire off the plug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

autolite double patinum, but I used the autolite professional wire set as well.

I saw no reason to change the wires. One time, I accidentially wrecked a factory Ford plug wire, and to my surprise, it was a stainless steel spiral wound wire, not a cheapo carbon core like I expected to see. Knowing that, I see no reason to change them in favor of something that's most likely inferior quality compared to the originals. Unless I have misfires under load, I'll leave these wires alone.

A spark is a spark, its not gonna be any diffrent what you use, the only thing is how long will it last.

Oh yeah. Avoid bosch platinum the electrode is bleepin tiny.

A spark is a spark, its not gonna be any diffrent what you use, the only thing is how long will it last.

Finally someone agrees with me! One of the other forums I was a member of swore they were getting better MPG and/or performance with NGK plugs in their Dodge engines compared to the OEM Champion plugs. I still say impossible, but they swear up and down that it's the truth.

Ditto on the Bosch Platinum plugs. Biggest pieces of crap out there. At the dealership, the majority of the cold weather no-starts the past few winters could be blamed on the Bosch Platinum plugs.

What does the dealer replace the originals with? I believe they use Motocraft platinums as replacements?:rolleyes: well that's what I got. I have to admit that I didn't notice any significant difference on the motor idle, mpg or anything else. I changed them at 80K and kept the original cables.
she fires up strong, no stalls, runs good.

What does the dealer replace the originals with? I believe they use Motocraft platinums as replacements?:rolleyes: well that's what I got. I have to admit that I didn't notice any significant difference on the motor idle, mpg or anything else. I changed them at 80K and kept the original cables.
she fires up strong, no stalls, runs good.

Most likely they'd use Motorcraft double platinums. Motorcraft plugs are made by Autolite, BTW. Only difference is the name.

Ngk Tr55

Champion Truck Plugs

I've used all sorts, but my favorites are Champion Truck Plugs, i've used and currently have Bosch double plats in mine right now, in mine they are ok, but in my jeep the platinum melted right off, NO LIE!

I asked a rep at Jeep, they told me that Jeep I-6 engines run slightly hotter than the average engine so apparently it melts the platinum off?

Idk it was crazy when i pulled em!

Autolite double plats. Borg Werner wires.

Motorcraft plugs and wires.

Daniel

used ngk iridium this time. (~50k miles). Haven't use iridium anythings yet, so I figured why not.

Stock wires, they are in great shape. The plugs... eh..

sparkyplung2.jpg

Picked up an immediate 3mpg in the city and the random stalling at idle has stopped. Not to mention it got its balls back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change the plug wires, if they are stock 1993 then they are bad. Plug wires should not be replaced because a miss turns up, or resistance changes. The interference which they allow grows over time, no normal testing equipment can detect that. The interference interferes with other electircal circuits in the engine compartment. Replace them like plugs, every so often, like 50,000 miles.

Back