Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

How to: Running Seafoam through Vacuum (91-94 Explorers with Pictures)

Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
Bmwz389
Iowa
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
How to: Running Seafoam through Vacuum (91-94 Explorers with Pictures)

Ok, so for a while I've been meaning to test out SeaFoam on my truck. Well, I finally got to it about a week ago, then got caught up with writing a thread on a how to.

All I hear is about running it through your Power Brake Booster line, or through your main vacuum line.

Now, if you look at the diagram of the vacuum routing on the core support that the MAIN VAC is the PCV valve. Now, both of those are so far back into the Upper Intake Manifold that they wont reach the front 4 cylinders. So, after crawling in the engine bay, I have found a very efficient and easy way to run it while hitting all 6 cylinders.

It's a nipple that hooks up onto your emissions system that runs to your charcoal canisters.

First you want to start off by removing one side of the intake tubing. Use a standard screwdriver.

If you want, you can pull the whole tubing but it's not necessary, just kind of lift it above the throttle body and let it rest there.

Next you are going to remove the emissions line from the nipple. It's located on the bottom right side of the throttle body.

Use a spare vacuum line, or use what I used. Take the vacuum line (black with yellow stripe) off of the upper intake box's bi-metal sensor. It runs down to a tubing that helps your engine warm up faster in the winter. I just used that because my tubing broke and therefore the line was useless.

Then plug it into the nipple.

Make sure you have the line clear of the belts, you don't want to catch it and tear things up lol.

Make sure you re-connect you intake tubing on the throttle body.

Next, set the can somewhere stable so you can use one hand to accelerate the engine and the other hand to feed the line into seafoam.

NOTE: This will smoke like crazy if it is your first time. I did mine for the first time outside my house and I was in front of my driveway and couldn't see my house at all (I really wish I could have recorded it...sorry guys)

This video is the second time, I only ran half a can and dumped the rest into my oil before an oil change.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
If you are able to see this message it means that you don't have flash installed or that the video server is down.

Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. I put my sylvania 3157's in while it sat.

After that, make sure you pull the vacuum line you used, and put everything back together. Drive around for a while, maybe hit the interstate and blow all of it out.

P.S. - Don't hate the flaky paint...first time high temp project lol.

Good luck!!!

- Brandon

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Jason94sport
South FL
93 Sport 2WD 5 speed

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
That's where I run mine through.

Jason94sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
pknopick
Stone Mountain, Georgia

92 XL

Vehicle Specs

Very nice write up! I'll try mine through that line next time... Thanks for the info.
pknopick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Bmwz389
Iowa
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Any time guys. That's why this forum was started =)

I'm glad to be of help for people!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Potomac30
IRMo, SC
1993 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

This post is worth a bump... I used the same port to add seafoam to my intake. It was a lot easier for me because I removed the air conditioner compressor a few years ago. I decided to try the seafoam (which smells an awful lot like charcoal lighter fluid) after I installed a home-made pcv catch can.
Potomac30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
96XLTRanger
Connecticut
96 4x4 OHV 4.0 XLT Ranger

Vehicle Specs

I didn't see this thread but used the same exact method on my 4.0 OHV ranger and let the engine suck like 12/16ths of the can in, and then put the rest in my gas tank. i let it sit for about 45 minutes and got a lot of smoke, and drove it, but didn't feel any difference in performance. I guess my engine is already pretty clean. It sounded god awful and almost stalled several times. just keep the rpms at like 1800-2200. Theres a vacuum on the line going to the charcoal cannister too. i put the seafoam can ontop of my radiator and it was balanced, used my left hand to rev, and used a finger to block off the line going to the cannister

Old 12-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
94EDBR
Spanaway WA
1994 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

I tried this on our 1994 Eddie Bauer (owned since new) Have been running synthetic oil since 1998 so the internals were pretty clean already. Didn't get a huge amount of smoke out of it. Next time I might use more but erred on the side of caution as I didn’t know how much would shake loose the first time. If you have an ohv 4.0, this is the way to inset it. Very easy.
94EDBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
kidd666
reno, NV

'94 xlt

Vehicle Specs

i know its an old post but i was wondering if someone would take a picturre of what hose to put the seafoam in?
kidd666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
ryan_dawg1
Idaho
98 explorer sport ohv

Vehicle Specs

do you know if this method would work on a 98 ohv?
ryan_dawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Rupert8
Northern California
1992 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello,

Do you leave the intake tubing off when adding the Seafoam while the engine is running?

Thanks,
Rupert8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
AP9
Chicago SW suburbs
2000 XLT 4WD, 4.0L OHV V6

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert8 View Post
Hello,

Do you leave the intake tubing off when adding the Seafoam while the engine is running?

Thanks,
No
AP9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page