Removing rack and pinion steering unit on 98 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing rack and pinion steering unit on 98

jerryls

Reaction score
I have a 98 4 dr AWD explorer v8 5.0 L. I need to remove the steering unit. I have everything disconnected as per the manual. It then says to rotate it forward. Well it jams between the crossmember and the crank case cover. How do I remove it? Please help
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I had to pull it out through where the inner tie rods inserted -- through the side opening on the cross member. Dunno, I'm probably wrong, its been a while.

To remove mine with the 5.oh, I had to jack the engine up a bit. The pan gets in the way.

I just loosened the motor mount nuts (18mm wrench) all the way to the top of the studs on the drivers side, jacked the motor up, and the rack came right out.

That's what I thought. After I loosen the engine mounts at what point do I support the engine to jack it up?
Thanks

Thanks, Yes I do have to slide it right, but I have to rotate the part that connects to the steering shaft out to the front first. My problem is that there is not enough room to rotate it. I think I have to raise the engine a bit.

I used a wood block as big as possible and lifted it by the pan. I didn't hurt anything on mine- :dunno:

Are the 18 mm engine mount bolts the two that are facing up? Mine only has about 1/4-3/8 inch of stud on top, I hope that is enough.
Thanks for your help. Iv'e been afraid to jack the engine from the pan, but I see the manual says the same thing. Did you access those bolts from the top side?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll jack it up today. Someone told me I have to also take off the inner tie rod from the gear on the driver side and the oil filter mount. Did you have to this?

so did you get it replaced ok? what was the symptoms of it going bad? mine has a catchy spot in it right now. with the engine off if you grab ahold of the tires and turn them back and forth the fluid will shoot out of the pump reservoir. its almost like there is air in it. you can hear the air coming out of the cap when you turn the tires back and forth. do you think mine is bad or could it be the pump?

DUDE...from 9 pm 'til 5:30 am I STILL cannot get this @#$@#$ DAMN rack out of there. It keeps getting stuck on that stupid bushing that mounts to the k-member.... I loosened up the motor mounts and EVERYTHING...now i got it too far out the passenger side and can't get it back through...I GIVE UP!

GOT THAT B@TCH!!!

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

ONLY way to remove it on a v8 is to take out the inner AND outer tie rods!

thanks for the tip I am doing mine today on a 96 5.0L so this thread is very handy

Alldata told me to do exactly what this thread says also, have to jack up engine and remove inner tie rods = FUN FUN

However alldata also says remove oil cooler, radiator and fan, apparently I do not have to do this :)

Thanks!!

thanks for the tip I am doing mine today on a 96 5.0L so this thread is very handy

Alldata told me to do exactly what this thread says also, have to jack up engine and remove inner tie rods = FUN FUN

However alldata also says remove oil cooler, radiator and fan, apparently I do not have to do this :)

Thanks!!
you can actually get away with only removing the driver's side inner tie rod, and both outer tie rods, but it's much easier to get out with both of them removed. as far as putting it in, i only took off the driver's side inner.

Back