Changing fuel filter on third generation X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing fuel filter on third generation X

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
I just changed out my fuel filter for the first time on my 2002 Explorer which has about 89K miles on it. It was a beatch in a sense because I had never changed out a fuel filter with the two different types of clips used on either end of the filter. It took me two hours to change it out when a more reasonable time-frame (if you know what you are doing and have the proper tools) is 30 minutes. The Chilton instructions are basically to remove a couple of shields, remove 3 fuel line clips then reverse the process but easier said than done. I thought I'd take the time here to expand on what some others have said about the procedure as well as what I learned. It seems that a lot has been said but no one really has put it all together with a more detailed explanation for the third generation Explorers. I've included a few pictures to give a better visual. Here's the process...

1. Do not change the fuel filter with the truck engine or exhaust hot. Change it with the engine cool and exhaust cool.To maximize your working area drive the front wheels of the Explorer onto ramps. This should be the only driving you do from a cold start. It is a good idea to perform this procedure outside with good ventilation because a minor amount of fuel in the old filter will drain out once it's disconnected..

2. Relieve fuel pressure in the system before attempting to remove the fuel filter. This will minimize the chance of a gasoline bath or being blinded by spraying fuel. On the 2002 Explorer the fuel pump can be disabled by removing either the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump fuse. The relay and fuse are both located in the fuse and relay black box located in the engine compartment on the drivers side and near the firewall. Open the box and remove either relay #48 or fuse #26. Double check your owner's manual if you do not have a 2002 Explorer in case of numbering differences. With the fuse or relay out, start the Explorer and let it run out of fuel which will take a few seconds. Attempt to start it a couple of more times to insure the fuel system is no longer pressurized.

20170211_165848.jpg

3. The fuel filter is located on the passenger side in front of the fuel tank. This puts the location approximately under where the passenger's butt would be. If you look in front of the fuel tank closely you will see two fuel lines clipped to one side of the filter but its hard to see because of the heat shield and plastic cover over the fuel filter.

4. The aluminum heat shield is located between the passenger side exhaust pipe (I have a V-8 engine) and the fuel filter which helps block the fuel tank and filter from some of the exhaust pipe heat. The heat shield is held on by three 13mm bolts. Remove them, they are easy to get to and remove. Take the aluminum heat shield off.

20170211_164942.jpg

5. Once the heat shield is removed you will see a plastic shield covering the fuel filter. It is held on by two 10mm nuts. Remove them, they are easy to get to and remove. Take the plastic shield off. You will now see the entire fuel filter and the three lines going in/out the filter. The fuel filter is held in place by friction of the fuel filter bracket.

20170211_164331.jpg

20170211_164257.jpg

6. First work on the end of the fuel filter with only one output line. This is the filter output side that goes towards your fuel injectors. The Chilton instructions for the "push connector" show you need to push up on the clip then use a fuel line disconnect tool. Be careful because even though pressure has been relieved you will still get a trickle of fuel when the line is removed. It is best to have a pan to catch the fuel. There has been a lot of discussion regarding the fuel line removal tool used. Some people feel the metal (two half circle scissor action) type is better while some feel the plastic tool pictured is better. Before changing out my filter I purchased both types in case I had a problem. My expectation was that the plastic version would work better so I tried that one first without any success. The plastic wasn't rigid enough considering the pressure I had to put on it to slide it in. I then tried the metal scissor type and it worked fine.

af97b87d-8f74-476c-b8d4-d52b9ea80f50.jpg

20170211_155112.jpg

7. The other side of the fuel filter has two lines attached in a different manner than the fuel supply side. The two-line side uses red plastic "R-clips" to hold the couplers onto the filter connections. The R-clips DO NOT necessary just unlock then you go happily on your way to replacing the filter. These clips caused the most grief for me as I did not completely understand nor visualize how the clips work. You will want to make sure the clip is pointing toward the ground with the red ridged portion fully toward you. The Chilton instructions illustrate how these clips are unlocked. To unlock these you first must push the small tab to unhinge the R-clip. Since my hands are too big I used a small flat head screw driver to gently push the tab which allows it to hinge outward. The tab is shown in the picture below...it's the piece of red plastic the tip of the blue arrow is pointing towards. Once you do this note that you not be able to remove the fuel line coupling off the filter just yet.

20170211_152534.jpg

8. With the red clip "hinged out" such that the ridged area is hinged away from its mating side you need to push both sides of the red clip inward. This isn't intuitively obvious which is why I provide the Chilton instructions and a picture. Then, while pinching inward push gently up towards the vehicle floorboard...it doesn't take much force if it is pinched together. Now, perform the same proceedure on the other line. Again, watch out for fuel drips. The filter is full of fuel and may empty on your head if you are not careful. Wear eye protection and have a catch pan ready.

20170211_160421.jpg

432cf0a7-1f5b-44bb-ae68-e6fff90a7c3a.jpg

c10fc547-82a3-424a-8f9d-3b26a35131ee.jpg

8. Now, with the fuel in/out lines removed take out the entire fuel filter with bracket out (the bracket was held on by the same 10mm nuts that held the plastic shield on). Make a note of how the old filter is mounted to the bracket because when you slide in the new filter you will want to make sure it is rotated in the same position to make it easier when you reconnect the fuel lines. Using considerable force, slide the bracket off the old filter. I used a hammer and gently tapped the old filter with the back of the handle to get it off the bracket. There actually is a fair amount of spring tension in the bracket grabbing onto the filter. Once the bracket is off you should be able to use hand force to get the new filter on.

9. From here it should be clear how to perform the procedure in reverse to get everything buttoned back up. NOTE, you will NOT need the fuel line removal tool to reconnect any of the lines. The lines just slide on. Make sure both ends are clipped properly like you found them with the old filter. Once you get everything back together don't forget to put the fuel pump relay back in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty well detailed, i believe.I need to get the ball roling and change mine out also!!

My expectation was that the plastic version would work better so I tried that one first without any success. The plastic wasn't rigid enough considering the pressure I had to put on it to slide it in. I then tried the metal scissor type and it worked fine.

Thank you for this post! I tried to change my fuel filter using the plastic disconnect tool for like 2 hours. I thought I was doing something wrong. So I researched it, found this post, bought a metal disconnect tool and the fuel line was off in like 10 seconds! Woo Hoo! :thumbsup:

I just replaced mine with help from this post and I couldn't get the exit line off with the plastic tool either. The aluminum one got it off in about 5 seconds. BTW, replacing the fuel filter eliminated the shimmy and shakes at idle.

Filter outlet hose won't budge

2002 Mountaineer with 4.6 L V8. I'm replacing my fuel filter, I've got over 100K miles.

I've fought this thing for 2 days when I have time and the clip comes off using the tool, plastic one was no good, metal one took the prying I had to put on it. I pull and twist and can't get the fuel outlet line off the filter. I have given up a few times and pushed the outlet line to get it back in place and I hear the click of the clips seating back on the filter so I know I'm getting the clips out of the way. The thing won't slide off the fuel line. I can turn the filter on the fuel hose, it's not locked on. I'm thinking the clips that are supposed to release from the lip of the filter outlet are somehow imbedding into the filter line.

I don't have any jiggle room in the connector to move it towards the filter. The new sticky illustrates a 1-2-3 motion to get the clips to disengage using the tool and there's no movement at all towards the filter.

Any ideas on what to do to get the fuel out line off of the filter?

I fought with mine for some time also using the metal tool.

What I finally did was take a pair of pliers with a rubber coated handle and wedge one end of the handle between the filter and the tool. The tip of the handle was against the filter and the curve of the handle was against the tool. I pried agaisnt the tool a bit and could here the clips opening up. A little more force, and it popped right off. That took about 5 seconds, after having spent 20 minutes with just my fingers...

Yea, I just changed mine the other day. Its a PIA for sure. Used a metal tool and still kicked my but. But 79k and it was probally the original one. BTW, when it did finally come off, I smacked my hand on the undercarraige.

Ski

20170211_152444.jpg

20170211_152512.jpg

I don't have any jiggle room in the connector to move it towards the filter. The new sticky illustrates a 1-2-3 motion to get the clips to disengage using the tool and there's no movement at all towards the filter.

Any ideas on what to do to get the fuel out line off of the filter?

IMHO, I think the clips are partially disengaged...enough such that when you push the filter all the way back on you hear the "click". I'd keep doing what you are doing with the metal removal tool...just make sure you keep pushing that metal tool in further. Another hint...while you are pushing the metal tool in you need to push on the filter towards the metal tool otherwise all you are doing in creating a lot of pressure on the tabs of the metal clips as you slide that metal removal tool. To reiterate...push on the filter towards the fuel line AND push the fuel line towards the filter AND at the same time push that metal removal tool towards the filter. Seems like we could always use a third hand and more working area but you got what you got so you're gonna need to do the best you can.

Good luck...keep in mind that with the metal removal tool it is still a PITA. You may have given up because you thought it would be easier and just as you almost had it unclipped you stopped because you were thinking you must be doing something wrong.

Metal vs. Plastic tool

I gave up on the plastic (rubber) tool because it didn't seem to open the clips wide enough. I thought it was collapsing and not getting the clips open enough. The metal one has marks on it from where it was rubbing the clips so I know it was getting to them. I was wondering if the rubber in the hose connector has fused to the fuel filter line and spraying wd40 into the fitting would penetrate in there and loosen it? Would they have put an adhesive in there to seal it tight?

It seems like it needs a redesign, add extra hose that Ford wouldn't spend $1.50 on to put it in there right or make it so you can swing it lower so you can reach it. This should be easier. I was considering cutting off the filter and cutting the old filter line out of there one little piece at a time to get it out of there but reconsidered. I thought if I could collapse the tube and crush it maybe it would come out. Last resort and big mess if it didn't work.

Now I have to try it one more time. Every time I read the posts on here I get encouraged to give it another go. I much appreciate the help sybertiger, and all who contribute.

Anyone have the part number of the metal tool and a source or do I have to go to Ford?

Don't have a part number, but Advance auto has a whole section of disconnect tools.

I bought the metal scissor tool at NAPA. I had to use a flathead screwdriver with it to get the tool to spread away from the filter and push the tool in to disconnect from the fitting. I think I could do the whole thing fairly quickly the next time.

Does the metal one look like the blue plastic one in the above tutorials? Can't find anything to fit the description at Advanced auto.

Hey Recoil Rob check this link out.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...pecialty-Tools_N3412_T|GRP2083__disconnect___

If the link doesn't work do a search for "disconnect" on the Advance Auto Parts website. When you see the results the have a set at the top. The metal one is the second from the right. They also have a tool without a picture at the bottom of the list of results. I think that's the metal one. All I know is they do carry it. Just ask. Good luck.

I will be changing my filter and also taking pics. With all this chatting..someone should of taken pics. Now all i got to do is find where my filter is..lol :)

Can somebody help me out here, not sure how to remove the plastic clip

see picture
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aornelas/3817957795/

On that type, I'm pretty sure once you disengage the clip like in the first picture, you push it up and away from you (from your perspective as the photographer in that shot). It doesn't come completely off, but the clip is out of the way for the line to separate from the filter. HTH.

I got the answer for your fuel filter problems!!!

When you go to put the special metal tool...no, do not use the plastic tool...use the metal one....what you do is you press the metal tool into the clasp...press them together real hard and the fuel line will pop off. Now...fo thte hard part....when you unhook the red clasps...yes it is a clasp...unook it, and than press the little clasp at the toher end towards the other end of the line...it will than be pushed back and you will have to jiggle the line off....repeat this with the other line as well. Easy? Try it....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just finished the fuel filter replacement and without this thread it wouldn''t have happened, so thank you to all involved. I will say that the procedure is fairly simple if you understand that there are two types of connections. One that needs the "METAL TOOL" (it really makes a big difference) I found that you have to hold the line in between your fingers and pull it twards the filter while pushing the tool into the connection until it releases and the others with the two red plastic clasps that once un clasped are pushed up and away from the lines so that they slip out of the connection. The only PITA was the space you had to work in...it's tight. Some patience, determination and a few curse words later and it's done.
Thanks again to everyone that posted information and pics here. It helped tremendeously

Back