Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange

Old 07-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Gannz

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
4.0L SOHC Engine Swap... 97/98/99/00/01/02/03 Motor Interchange (w/ photos)

Hey all,

I have a clean '98 Explorer 4x4 w/ a 3" body lift on 30" Cross Terrains. At about 150k it started a rattle in the rear cassette. New tensioners didn't help & I opted not to pull the motor, buy the tools, and change out the timing cassettes. So we drove on... and on... and on... and I was about to tell people Ford made a diesel Explorer. Then, last week at 190k, she finally jumped time and bent the valves.

So, I need to change out the engine. I have some questions but I'll try to contribute some consolidated info first. This is what I've been able to gather from mainly searching the board...

Here are the different engines available for the years in question:

1997-2000
6-245 (4.0L), SOHC (VIN E), 4x2
6-245 (4.0L), SOHC (VIN E), 4x4
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); Sport Trac, thru 7/23/00
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); Sport; thru 7/23/00
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); Sport Trac, from 7/24/00
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); Sport; from 7/24/00
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), LHD, exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); exc. Sport and Sport Trac
2002-2003
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), (LHD), exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); 4 Dr, exc. Sport Trac
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), (LHD), exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); 2 Dr (Sport)
6-245 (4.0L, SOHC), (LHD), exc. flex fuel; (VIN E); 4 Dr, Sport Trac

'97-'03 will all interchange. Some things are different in all of these years. Most are minor. Don't change out your ECU.
  • 1997-2000 would be the most direct swap but you'll have to deal w/ the timing chain issues all over again. With these years you need to match 2wd/4wd to your vehicle.
  • 2001 you need to use your old upper intake, wiring harness, and cam sensor. Timing is still a problem w/ these engines.
  • 2002-03 reuses the same parts as '01 but you'll also need to reuse your old fuel rail (including your old injectors). This makes for a little more work but it seems to be worth it b/c '02 is when Ford finally improved the timing casettes.

Last edited by Gannz; 08-08-2007 at 10:59 AM. Reason: New info
Gannz is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Gannz

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I recently finished my ‘98 to ‘03 swap and everything is working as it should. There are a few more things (other than what’s listed above) that are different about the engines…

You have to use your old exhaust manifolds. The newer manifolds use studs instead of bolts but that’s not a big deal. What is a big deal is that the studs are spaced further apart and they won’t fit the flange. Anything can be modified but it won’t be worth your time and effort to make the new manifolds fit unless your old manifolds are warped or cracked. You also need to use your old EGR valve, bracket, and pipes.

You can save some time if you use your old valve covers. I chose to go with the new covers and I like how it turned out but there was a good bit of modifying necessary to get everything to match back up. The coil pack, upper radiator hose, PCV valve(s) (mine now has two and an extra line), spark plug wires/mounts, DPFE sensor, and the main electrical harness connector bracket all need to be modified. If you use your old valve covers all of these will match up as on the old engine.

The older engine emission system circulates air through a freeze plug knocked out of the block above the crank. The new engine circulates from the rear of the drivers side valve cover. I suspect Ford eliminated the crank breather b/c it clogs over time. I instead set up mine to use both which should make for better circulation and also provide a backup in case one line clogs. If you keep the crank breather (you have to keep it if you use your old valve covers) it would be a good idea to clean it the next time you change out the intake manifold gaskets.

The cam sensor, oil pressure sender, and block ground appear to be the only sensors/connectors you’ll need to use from the older engine. I used all the sensors from the newer engine except for these three.

You need to use your old heater hose bracket/coupling.

The oil filter is different and you need to get filters to fit an '02/'03.

Last edited by Gannz; 08-20-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Gannz

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Some photos...

Last edited by Gannz; 08-08-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
explorerjim
minn
97 and 2001 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Great information. I have a 97 explorer, 4 wd. 4.0 sohc engine. I just picked up a 99 4.0 engine today for it. Right away I see I have 2 fuel lines on the 97 and only 1 on the 99 engine. I've read somewhere about using the old fuel rail and maybe the old injectors too. Can anyone help or give me a link to where I read this? I'm not sure what to use from the old engine and still get the the computer to work right when I start it up. I switched a 2000 into a 2001 last year and all I had to do is plug it in and it ran like a top. This one's a little more complicated.
explorerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
suejames
2001 ford sport trac

Vehicle Specs

What size engine can I exchange my 4.0 soch in my '01 sport track. Years also would be helpful
suejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Nathan2004
Willmar, MN
1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Swaping out 98 4.0 for a 2002 4.0

My motor is making noise just like yours. I dont want to fix it and the tensioners only made it a little quiter. I did find a 2002 4.0 with slight fire damage on top for $250 i dont need anything on top since i am swapping my stuff over right? seems like an awesome deal if thats the case?
Nathan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page