2002-2005 (02-05) Explorer rear door panel removal for speaker access HOW-TO | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 (02-05) Explorer rear door panel removal for speaker access HOW-TO

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I had to remove my rear right speaker and searched all over this forum. I found the approximate info I needed to do it but there were no pictures or step by step instructions yet.
So I figured if I do it I post my findings up here, I'm sure one day it will help someone.
Don't have rights to upload to this forum so used imageshack... not sure how long the files will stay up there... maybe an admin could copy them over here ;)

THIS INFO IS FOR REAR SPEAKERS BUT FRONT ONES ARE VERY SIMILAR.

1. Remove window controller and plastic piece behind door handle

zz0eb22ce4dy4.jpg

2. Remove screw in the middle, behind door handle encased in white plastic.

zz61607f6fot8.jpg

3. Remove screw from bottom of panel and lift the whole thing.

zz014c1fc2po5.jpg

zz00cfe39bsh7.jpg

zz16392710oi0.jpg

Speaker model number: XW7F-18808-BB
Only 25 W?! wow..
Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size door speakers are in the explorers? I have a 05

Nice text bubbles.:thumbsup:

I thought you had to pop the leading edge of the panel behind the handle first , because it has a clip that will keep the controller from being lifted out.

Nice job:thumbsup:

Nice text bubbles.:thumbsup:

I thought you had to pop the leading edge of the panel behind the handle first , because it has a clip that will keep the controller from being lifted out.

Nice job:thumbsup:

Not a clip really, but it does have to come out first.

Alright!

Just did this, didn't think I could... Anyways, just to add, in the handle area there is a 5.5 mm bolt, same as the bolt at the bottom of the door - used a socket wrench. The speakers used a 1/4 socket wrench to undo.

The question is, if one rear speaker goes bad, do they both need replacing? Are they sold in sets only?

Last edited:

The question is, if one rear speaker goes bad, do they both need replacing? Are they sold in sets only?

Don't know if you can buy the original per piece but I just went with an aftermarket brand (Crunch) in which case you have to replace both in order to maintain the balance.

Nice!

Thanks! These are aftermarkets, the papers went long agooo... Your instructions made that as easy as pie to remove the all of those parts. Thank you! :thumbsup: I'll get another pair, taking the door off was a breeze! So I'll just pop in the other side too... Thanks again!

I just put new speakers in all around on my '02 Explorer. The front door panels come off the same way as described here. There are two screws at the bottom of the panel on the front doors.

That's it...

6x9 all around? So technically the fronts could be switched to the rears, and a better set for up front?

Thanks!

4 noobs all around! 6x8s Pics of the front door to follow! :cool:

Here's what can go wrong if you don't do it like Greg shows...

1. I broke the part that goes over the lock while trying to reassemble.
2. Don't try this unless you are capable, I thought I was :D

These are the new rears... Thanks for the directions Greg! It went smoothly until I forgot about having patience...

Last edited:

These are the old rears...

1. Does anyone know what that crud is around the speaker? It was only on the right side rear...

Last edited:

Thank you!

I just put new speakers in all around on my '02 Explorer. The front door panels come off the same way as described here. There are two screws at the bottom of the panel on the front doors.

I'm going to try to do the front install today... You're right, it's best to have all new at one time - the front two sound pretty muffled compared to the rear two.

The new speakers are great, but they put the factory deck to shame... I think I need a new deck now. :p

Thanks for pics, changed my front speakers went very smooth

This can be a very easy task if you are patient. try not to break the clips that hold the panel on the door. just dont force anything where its not supposed to go and you should be fine. and yes most explorers have 6 X 8 speakers all around. mine does i know that much.

Thanks for this post. I replaced the back door speakers tonight following these instructions. Only broke one clamp on the switch housing. You gotta slide it towards the front of the vehicle once you pop out the clamp. Otherwise, went smoothly. The housing still holds on fine, so it`s no big deal.

Didn`t go to expensive on the speakers, Ultimate T2-6821 6x8 two way. Very pleased with the sound, and they fit just right. :thumbsup:

http://www.ultimate-sound.com/car.html

great post, I had to remove my front panel last winter to replace my window controls and could have used this diagram. Its really not that hard but as mentioned take your time with any interior trim so you dont break tabs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just to let everyone know u can eas;y use ten snips and cut the door a little to fit 6x9 if u want the bigger speaker

Back