• Register Today It's free!

When to change Timing Belt?

Tommaso

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton Ontario CN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
I have a 2002 Explorer Sport that has 150,000 km on it. I have been told the 4.0 litre engine in my vehicle is considered a 'non-interference engine' (or something like that?) and that if the timing belt goes the engine will self destruct. If this is true, should I get my belt changed before there is a problem, and now I am thinking would be a good time since it hasn't been changed at all and I'm getting up there in kilometers. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Tommaso

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The engine doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain I believe. So unless something goes wrong or you have about double the mileage there is really no reason to change it.

Cool, thanks for the quick reply! So does this mean when the timing chain does go, the engine will go also, or is there a slight chance the chain can break or skip and not damage the engine? This timing chain thing has me a little confused. Thank again!

Tommaso

It kinda depends on the design of the timing chain and the way it is set up. But I think that if the chain does break it shouldn't do much damage to anything other than the timing chain and tensioners and the engine will just stop running.

you have like 5 timing chains in a SOHC 4.0L
Not just one

if the timing chain does let go and you crank the engine the piston can run into the valves and destroy them, yes.

You can expect 250K miles on a 2000 SOHC with regular oil changes before this becomes a concern IMO

Back