ABS Speed Sensor??

kennyh

Reaction score
City, State
Glasgow, Scotland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 4.0i V6 Auto
Hi Guys

My ABS is occassionally kicking in when I come to stop (speed is less than a few mph), but it means that it lengthens the stopping distance and I've crossed the line a few times at junctions!!

So, after some research I think I need to check and clean the Speed Sensors.

I've a 1998 Exp, and after referring to the Haynes manual, the pictures in it for the speed sensor location are different from mine. On mine, I can't seem to get access the speed sensor without completely disassembling the hub.

Am I correct? How do I get into the speed sensor and whip it out for a clean/replacement??

Cheers
Kenny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To get to the sensor you need to take the disc off. The sensor is held by a small 8mm bolt into the hub. I've had this on a friends ex and we had to replace one of the front sensors. You can do a resistance check by unplugging it (up behind the headlamp from underneath) and using a multimeter. High resistance is bad.

Hi All

Having just got the x back after it had a 2 week rest at the garage as a result of a split steel brake. According to the mechanic the spring type protection on the steel pipe acted as a trap for muck and water which rusted the pipe. Although mine is one of the early models it is worth checking the pipe from the HCU through to the back axle 1st flexi pipe. First thing I knew about it was the pedal went to the floor, then the brake warning light came on. Good job I am in the RAC. 150 miles from home! So the x had a piggy back ride on a low loader. Beware if you need to replace the flexi's on the back, the pair work out at £50, then you also need to buy the pipe that runs accross the axle because the ends are not metric thread. And of course buying from Ford is such a joy, I finished up suggesting to the parts person that we could order pipes listed, because their fancy computer graphics didn't even show the pipes I wanted.

So to the reason for the post, Been having the ABS kicking in at really low speeds for quite a while now.
Have checked the resistance and I have 0.434 and 0.444k ohms on the front.
Couldn't get to the back to checl that one.
Howard if you see this I found a post earlier that you mentioned a value of up to 0.480k ohms being ok ,but I have been reading the Chilton Manual and it is quoting a figure of 0.330k ohms max for the front.
Tried my diagnostics programme but it didn't show any errors on the braking system.
Any thoughts anyone:confused:

Temp Fix:

Try disconnecting the sensor in question at its harness under the fender. The ABS light will stay on but the pulsing will stop.

It could be the rear one causing the issue. (on top of the rear dif). Maybe worth taking out the front sensors and cleaning the ends.

Thank you both, back to the garage I think, either that or buy a Trolley Jack and a pair of axle stands.

Back