1997-01 v-8 5.0 ticking noise under load - EGR Tube identification-part number | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997-01 v-8 5.0 ticking noise under load - EGR Tube identification-part number

pyxis

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT

Can someone please let me know what the name of that hose is? The picture is taken from the front left of the engine. The second photo is a little further back so you can get an idea of where the hose is located.

There is a hole in the hose and it makes a "noise" when I press the accelerator. I tried to patch it up but my half @ss job (as you can see) didn't make it past a month!:p:

Thanks alot:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the EGR tube-
A new one can be purchased at the dealer for around 55.00

it is called an "EGR HOSE" at www.rockauto.com listed in the emmisions section for your year and model-

Be careful replacing it-you may crack your exhaust manifold.
The manifold may also be cracked already--this is not uncommon.
The best manifold replacement at this time is a set of Torquemonster headers. As a member (if you are reading this) you will receive a substantial discount. They will pay for themselves in the long run.

Oh--
welcome to the forum!

That is the EGR tube-
A new one can be purchased at the dealer for around 55.00

Be careful replacing it-you may crack your exhaust manifold--

Oh--
welcome to the forum!

Thank you very much for the fast reply!:)

I'm a first-time poster but this forum has helped me out a lot in the past!!:)

That looks like a V-8 to me--are you sure that's a '95?
Date code on valve cover says '97 also--

anyhow-for a 97 v-8 www.rockauto.com has this part

DORMAN Part # 598111

Oops...yes I meant 1997...long day:confused: :eek:

I have a '96 5.0. How do I know if I need to replace the EGR tube or the exhaust manifold? I have the same dreaded ticking.

Be sure that you are purchasing the EGR tube that has the flex bend in it. Ford dealers now sell replacement EGR tubes that do not have the flex bend. If you have Torque Monster Headers the EGR tbe w/o the flex bend will not work.

I have a '96 5.0. How do I know if I need to replace the EGR tube or the exhaust manifold? I have the same dreaded ticking.

If you have a 96, you don't have an EGR tube. 96's have an internal EGR. Your tick is most likely a cracked exhaust header. Very common problem.

My ERG tube feel out about 6 months ago and fell out again about 2 weeks ago. I had the work done at the dealership so it was covered under warranty and they welded in the replacement.

I know that ticking sound quite well. It started off faint and continued to get louder and louder.

Manifolds are fine.

can the EGR valve itself make this noise. I also have a 97 5.0 in my explorer and I have the reched tick. I guess this tube is easier to get to then the EGR valve.

I cant even find that part on my explorer. Is it at all possible its not there. I do have shock hoops and such in the way but I couldnt find it at all.

I present to you the cause of your exhaust leak-(ticking under load)
This is very common-My header was like this-and now this on my Son's truck.

Attachments

• broken header.jpg
    broken header.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 9,317

can a cracked header throw a EGR valve code?

It guess it would depend on where the crack is on the manifold. I have this tick, and since i do not have the "p" heads (the p heads have the external egr for those who dont know) im assuming its it manifold. I am saving up for a pair of TM's, with the EF discount, is it 700 or 600?

Cheaper when you don't have an EGR. Call Bob, he'll square you away.

It guess it would depend on where the crack is on the manifold. I have this tick, and since i do not have the "p" heads (the p heads have the external egr for those who dont know) im assuming its it manifold. I am saving up for a pair of TM's, with the EF discount, is it 700 or 600?

I want the headers too. Im not sure if they will clear my shock mounts though thats my problem. I dont seem to have the external egr tube on my headers. I hope the egr valve is the noise. If I can only figure out how to get the lower nut of the mechanism Id have it off right now, haha

I have a '97 Explorer but I definately don't have that external egr tube. I guess since my X was built in late '96 they didn't use the external EGR as of yet. Should I consider using '96 when ordering engine parts?

I present to you the cause of your exhaust leak-(ticking under load)
This is very common-My header was like this-and now this on my Son's truck.

I believe this to be the cause of my ticking also..how involved is the manifold replacement? I won't be replacing these with headers just yet, finances won't allow it at this time, but I can get a Dorman replacement manifold from Rockauto for less than $60. Is it as tight as it looks in there? I know I'll have to soak the bolts in PB Blaster and all that good stuff, but any other pointers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah-
be prepared to fight the egr tube fitting on the egr valve-
I had to remove Bryan's, place it in a vice and attack it with a pipe wrench and cheater pipe--

The inboard collector bolt is a bummer-I'd get new ones so you can just cut it--

Since you need to remove the spark plugs-migh as well get new ones-
also-be very careful removing the wires-
The metal protector sleeves will need to be reused-so be carefull removing them also-

Back