4x4 High and low flashing dash lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 High and low flashing dash lights

Bambi41

Reaction score
City, State
Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 North Face LPG
Hi everyone

Just had to get out and get under my explorer because of the 4x4 high and low lights flashing 6 times every 3 minutes. This means that the GEM (located just to the left of the radio) is receiving incorrect signals from a variety of sensors and is basically deciding to not to allow four wheel drive. Apart from the annoying disco lights every 3 minutes I thought that if I have a 4x4 truck it should be able to have 4 wheel drive. I read some of the threads on here and then called my trusty friend Howard. This is what I did to cure the problem:

I tried the old and very easy battery fix which entails just taking off the negative terminal and waiting for 10 minutes ( I assume that this resets the 4x4 computer which is located just forward of the jack in that compartment) I also pulled out the 2 plugs into the 4x4 computer and reinserted them a few times just to ensure a good connection. My ex however was not willing to play ball and the lights kept on flashing! So you cannot select either 4x4 high or low.

Next I crawled under my Ex and had a look around. I could get under but I decided to buy a set of ramps and up my Ex went (much easier) ( don't forget to switch off the self leveling) I soon found the transfer case and all the wires coming from the loom into the TFCase. I saw the main multi-plug feeding the speed sensors the Electromagnet (brown wire mod)and the shift motor and after chatting with Howard pulled the two separate sides of the multi-plug apart. It is not easy because you dont have much room but you can pull the plug towards the rear speed sensor and wiggle it about to get it to split. Eventually I managed it and proceeded to push it in and out a few times to clean the corrosion off the terminals.

I then checked the dash for lights and sure enough they were still there!! I then disconnected the negative terminal and this I assume reset the system! Voila! no lights. I was very pleased with myself and switched off the engine and went and washed the grime from my hands and arms. It turns out that this was premature!

Started her up again and the lights had returned! I did the battery reset again and they went out! result. Switched off and re-started the engine and the damn things were there again!! I did the negative battery reset again and they went out! I decided to engage 4x4 high with the switch and the indicator light confirmed that it had engaged. I then put her in Neutral, foot on the brake and switched to 4x4 low, nothing for a while and then a clunk! the shift motor was obviously working. I repeated this a few times and the lights have been off all afternoon and I hope will stay off!!

I think that it was the multi-plug having a bad connection and the fact that I had never engaged 4x4 manually, just left it in Auto. My hypothesis is that by cleaning the connections and making the system cycle through the engagement of 4x4 high and low manually and resetting the system by disconnecting the negative battery terminal allowed the 4x4 computer to get its bearings and accept that the system was working.

Anyhow I accept that this has been a lucky fix and far from exhaustive, however it is a place to start if you get the old disco lights flashing!

hope this helps

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Bambi 41
I have been down this road, did everything you did and got the same result.
This lasted for some time but eventually the lights came back on and that was it.
So I ordered two sensors from the States and my problem has gone.
One of the sensors was out of tolerance and the GEM didn't like it!
Hope this helps
Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the insight and the advice. Could you tell me where you got the sensors please just in case I have to purchase some myself.

Many thanks

Dave

Where are the sensors

A very useful thread. Thank you. One quick question. Where are the sensors located? I was under mine recently, found the transfer case motor but didn't see any sensors

Hi
The sensors were obtained from Fastparts network, they are sponsers of this forum and very helpful.
They delivered in 7 days and were spot on correct.
The sensors are mounted on the transfer case, one near the rear output shaft and one behind the shift motor.
The job is very easy to do and cost me about 60 quid all in with postage.

Sensors and 4x4 computer

Two questions please guys on your postings (and after changing my GEM and TOD relay there is little more to change) so we're down to the sensor and 4x4 computer in your postings

Bamb1 41

Is the 4x4 computer in the jack compartment (my jack is not there so I assume it's the suspension switch compartment) the white box, almost hidden forward beyond the removable door or is it the black box, half way along the hole? Both have many wires into them

Alan21

I could not see the sensors in the fastparts network list. Are they listed as range sensors ($64.51 each) Presumably the two needed are identical

Many thanks in advance

I`ve had this problem on mine a few times and I tried all of the above but to no avail. After taking out the transfer case sensors for the third time I noticed that one of them had a hair line crack in the face. Being a tight git I decided that I`d repair it rather than buy a new sensor so I cleaned the face, gave it a quick buff with some 600 grit emery paper. Then cleaned it with acetone and applied some two pack super glue from loctite. So far and 8000 miles on and off road later it`s still fine. No more flashing lights. :thumbsup:

Soooo glad I found this post. I have a 95 4X4 Ranger with auto hubs and an auto tranny. Someone attempted to steal it and destroyed the ignition lock in the process. Thats when I started having the flashing 4X4 lite problem. Below is my original post from another site.

I got robbed big time 5 days ago. My restored Scout is gone along with tools, welder, plazma cutter, etc.

They tried to take my built 95 Ranger by hammering out the ignition switch. Thats as far as they got but now I'm having to fix this mess. Now when I drive it the 4X4 dash lights come on and off and I can hear and feel the tranny or transfercase engaging. This rig also has the electric 4X4 switch on the dash and automatic hubs. I pulled the 4X4 fuse in hope that would make it drivable but I still have the problem. It's as if someone is playing with the 4X4 high/low switch while I'm driving. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Second post:I just noticed that when driving the 4X4 light blinks 6 times every few minutes, each time it blinks I can feel/hear a small change in RPM. I disconnected the wires going to the tcase but no change. I'm open to ideas, I don't want to damage anything in the drive train.

As you can see I was thinking the smashed ignition switch was my problem. So, I'll replace the two sensors. What is the correct name for them? Any part numbers? Thanks

4X4 lights flashing

Hi Blackdog
I suggest the best thing for you to do is do a search on the American forum for your prob lem as I think you might have a 1st gen Explorer and there are some differences to the 2cnd gen ones regarding the transmission system (4X4).
Disconnecting the wiring harness wont stop the lights from flashing because the computer is still registering a fault, it thinks that there is an open circuit and so switches the system off, that is why the lights flash, to warn you of a fault.
The gem computer is behind the centre dash area, on the n/s on UK vehicles and o/s on American spec ones.
When you get it sorted, do the brown wire mod (also on the forum) and take full control of the 4X4, you can then use low range on tarmac.
Good luck
Alan

disco lights

will these fixexs work on my 96, EX ? 4x4 auto
/ 4.0 liter? My 4wheel low and high seem to engage if I stop, go to nuetral, press the brake then shift. when I engage the 4w high while driving, I dont really feel it is shifting into 4wh then the lights start flashing. Is it possible for the the transfer case to shift to 4w low but not into 4w high? If so would that be mechanical or maybe a selenoid not operating properly? thanks bob

Hi Blackdog
I suggest the best thing for you to do is do a search on the American forum for your prob lem as I think you might have a 1st gen Explorer and there are some differences to the 2cnd gen ones regarding the transmission system (4X4).
Disconnecting the wiring harness wont stop the lights from flashing because the computer is still registering a fault, it thinks that there is an open circuit and so switches the system off, that is why the lights flash, to warn you of a fault.
The gem computer is behind the centre dash area, on the n/s on UK vehicles and o/s on American spec ones.
When you get it sorted, do the brown wire mod (also on the forum) and take full control of the 4X4, you can then use low range on tarmac.
Good luck
Alan

How is it that after doing the brown wire mod u will be able to use4x4 low on tarmac ?

Back